Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually just learning how to do 'layed painting' beyond priming a model before painting it. So i have taken a 'layed' approach to my techmarines. Some may remembered when i asked for advice on how to do this so i am following up on how it turned out.

How i painted my techmarines:

I also talked to people at a GW store as well for tips.

First i primed them white, next i did a base coat with red-ink.

Next using blood red i sort of 'outlined' the armour plates with a thin strip of paint. This way the center of all the armour plates on the model are only red inked, while the sides are done in red ink and blood red.

Next i actually gave the entire model two coats of orange ink to start my 'rusted' effect i mentioned in another post. So far the model is still mostly deep red, but now a few places where the red ink was light are orange as well. Plus i get the feeling of an understated but still present orange tint present, but not to dominat.

Next i dry brushed the model with "blazing orange." I dry brushed it fairly heavy handedly, but i made sure to not load the brush too much. The effect was nice actually. Almost like it was red highlighted with orange but a little different.

Will get pictures up once i am finished the paint job, this is the same tricked out techmarine i describe in the conversions section for those who have read that as well.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Sounds like a good approach.

Looking forward to seeing it...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the paint on the techmarine is DONE!

Don't you hate it how you get impatient when your close to finishing something and you start cutting corners on quailty control?

Working on the pictures, are there instructions somewhere for posting to the gallery once i get them, or is it pretty self explanitory (I haven't looked at it yet so i don't know)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, dark angels and i used to do wolves too.

It was funny though, I mean techmarines ARE red, and i wanted the effect i describe here for my techmarine, but whenever i went to a GW store and painted i always got asked if i was a BA player. Even the GW guy who helped me out with suggestions said he might start painting his BA in a similar way.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hehe. Anywayz the uploading of pics is self explanatory, you just go to the gallery page and click on submit media (or something), then select the pic and there you go :D.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the pictures taken, i have to wieght for the rest of the roll to get used up and then developed (it is not a digital camera, and its also my brothers camera)

I haven't forgotten though...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, i found a way to cheat!!

Apparently i can use my flatbed scanner to get pitures of my mini's just by putting the minis on the scanner and not closing the top on them!!!

This means the pictures are from a limited viewpoint but its faster than waiting for film to develope!!!

So i have posted my pictures, 2 of the techmarine, 1 of the sargeant (check my old conversions post for details) in the HQ section of the gallery. As soon as they get approved by the forum's admin (i think thats how it works anyway) you'll be able to see it.

Edit:[
Until then you can check them out here...
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rmw/sarge1.gif
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rmw/tech2.gif
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rmw/tech1.gif

Edit:[
And because i'm still learning the web side of this stuff, what the hell:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rmw/Composite.gif

Got to love the 4 year old scanner...
]
]
When the real pictures come in I'll put them up too, the real pictures feature my entire command squad and their razorback.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
They're awsome man!

That's a mean ass sword your sarge has. I like the tech best though! VERY well done conversions! Keep it up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.