Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys,

Today has been my first day back at Warhammer after two and a half years! And so I thought I would resign up to this wonderful site for some tips as GW seems so different lol.

Now, I have a fairly large unpainted army of Warriors of Chaos that needs attention and the colour scheme I am looking for is having the main portion of armour being a beaten and battered metallic colour, BUT having the helm a bright(ish) orange!

I am completely unsure as how to start this as the paints and stuff in store seem to have changed and I really dont want to have to fork out lots of $$$ to trial. I would prefer to buy paints as I need them.

If you guys could just give me some simply laid out instructions or even a link to an up to date tutorial that would be fantastic!

Cheers.

·
Son of Dorn
949 Posts
Hello, and welcome back to the hobby!

It all depends on how you want to paint them. Here are a couple of ways.

This is how I paint my yellow imperial fists. I assume it will work for orange as well.
1. Spray paint the model white.
2. Wash the model several times with Fuegan Orange, letting it dry completely between coats.
Citadel Shade: Fuegan Orange | Games Workshop
3. Select two orange colors from the existing range that you like, one that matches the final color you want, and one that is slightly darker.
Like these
Jakero Orange
Citadel Base: Jokaero Orange | Games Workshop
Troll slayer Orange
Citadel Layer: Troll Slayer Orange | Games Workshop
4. Apply the darker Orange to the armor plates of the model to smooth out the color left behind by the wash.
5. Apply the lighter Orange to the amor plates for highlighting.
6. Paint all areas that will be a color other than orange black to make the colors smooth.

That is how I would do it. You can also skip the wash step and just layer on dark to light orange but I have trouble getting this to look as good. The wash gives you a good dark recess color. When you are looking for tutorials I would just look for how to paint yellow ones. Orange is similar but it covers better. And there are more tutorials on how to paint yellow since it is harder. Good luck with your painting!

·
Son of Dorn
949 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate, I'll give it a test run tomorrow and see if I can post up a picture of it for show!

Ooooohh that podcast sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
An easy method if you want to keep it simple is to use the 3 layer technique. Find the colour you wish to use as the base first. In your case an orange you like. Once done then get a darker colour for shade and a lighter colour for highlighting.

Paint on your shade over the primer, paint your base colour on leaving the recesses dark and then paint the edges with the lighter colour.

Or you can go with wash and drybrush. Paint on your base, wash with brown or sepia and then drybrush the base on and then drybrush the highlight on.

Works well with all colours and is a good step before going on to using a 5 colour step.

I don't use GW paints though so can't suggest colours sorry. But the above method looks great and will save you doing a lot of unnecessary steps :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I found an amazing really deep and alive looking way for orange quite by accident when I was doing a a few projects.

Does not really matter the base coat, but a light yellow (canary yellow, or any other light yellow, just not a deep golden color) then hit with the standard red GW wash (I think they just changed the name, but I think it used to be Baal red) - this gives such depth and tone and the ruby color of the wash over the light yellow gave it a real fire look. This pic is one I had for a fellow I did last year for the LO Secret Santa, but he got a couple of coats of the Baal Red, so just give 1or 2 light coats - it was very orange before the second or third heavy coat.

Ragnar2.jpg Ragnar1.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts