Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realy know if this should go in the painting section or the Ork section sorry...

Well I've always loved orks and wanted to collect them, but i always had the fear that i would start collecting them and then the new dex would be released. But now it has been released I have finally decided to start my own Green horde 8X

The problem is that my mate has also started to collect orks and we dont want our armies to be duplicates of each other and so he went with mec and i went with mass infantry which leads me to my next problem, as in all my time of playing warhammer i have never finished painting an army except 'crons (which wasnt hard:D).

And so i was wondering if any of you people could give me a few tips on painting orks in a good table top quality fast?

And i still havent decided on a colour for the armour and so if anyone has any suggestions or even pictures that would be a great help! (I was thinking Bad moons as I think the yellow and black realy work)

T.G.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I collect Orcs and Goblins as my second army for fantasy and while I like a nice well painted army, there's just too many troops for me to spend a lot of time on any one orc unless it's a Warboss or something. So, I give the skin a coat of Dark Angels Green and then another layer of Snot green over most of the skin but missing out the deepest recesses leaving the darker green. I mainly used those two greens simply because they were the paints I had in at the time and I thought that they worked quite well, but it depends whether you like the brighter more cartoony skin tone or a more realistic looking dull green.

As for their clothes and armour, I have just gone with chainmail for the armour with the occasional brown wash to give the appearance of rust. Occasionally on some helmets I try to make it look like the orcs have painted it blue - but not done a very good job - because blue is the army's main colour. They don't have that much of it on them though, because I figure orcs won't wear a nice unified colour scheme, rather they'll wear whatever they have to hand, so I used a range of browns for most of the clothing. It seems to be more orcy to me anyway to make it look like they're wearing random things and to just have enough of the army colour to unify them as an army without making them look too ordered.

Edit: I just remembered I have this picture sitting around on my PC so I figured it would be fairly quick and easy to put it up here. This was the boss for one of my Boyz units when he was still a WIP but was mostly finished. It shows how my orc scheme works anyway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a Bunch Ancalagon I think that the skin on your orcs looks pretty good and been as it only uses two colours i think i can acheive it :)

I see what you mean with the orks being unorganised and not having a unifying colour scheme but I just like the idea of having an army where theres something that links them all together and been as I can't convert to save my life I figured it would have to be armour colour as I don't think Them being green would count as my mate is going to have orks too.

And by the way my mates orks will be speed freaks most likely and so I'm not going to be doing red..

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
In the UK edition of White Dwarf(Jan337) there is a couple of pages, 34&35 dedicated to painting Orks. It features Ork skin, Checks, Dags and metal. If you can I would advise looking that up. The skin section uses foundation paints which are ideal if you want to quickly paint up a good quality tabletop army. Hope this helps!

:happy:

·
Registered
104 Posts
well... first a base coat of liche purple and work your way up to tentecal pink.... only joking :D cant wait to start painting some... havnt got round to painting lukes yet though
i guess your stuff arrived then?

Doug

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would think you could do it about the same as painting goblins... heres my green skin approximate formula...

dark angels mixed with chaos black (should be more green than black) applied as a base coat.

From there:
dark angels
dark angels mixed with goblin green or any lighter shade
75/25, 50/50, 25/75, with washes of dark angels ink and a pinch of yellow ink watered down in between...
After you got this all done I would take watered down brown, since orcs are darker than goblins, mix in a pinch of yellow and a pinch of green and very lightly apply it to areas you want dirty. This will give the orc a dirty kinda nasty veneer in the areas you paint it on while still showing through the green underneath. Throw in more yellow to give the face details an almost jaundiced look if you like, but remember to keep it light. I use this on my goblins arms and especially the notes and chin to make them a bit yellow n sickly nasty looking, combines well with the brown nasty on their other parts.

As far as painting there are many methods, I've see the sinewy muscle painting (streaks along the muscle fiber), or the norm highlights. Up to you really. GW's orcs are too... clean and don't really convey any soul behind them, but their process is about equal to mine, I'm just really anal about my painting :p. For simpler painting just reduce the steps inbetween the colors... go dark angels to dark angels n goblin to straight goblin for example...

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Nice technique Tauren but I have to remind that the Ork hide is darker than the Goblin one... so he can leave the very light shades of green out... ;Y

·
Registered
75 Posts
True and thats why I suggested using a brown after shade instead of a yellow. Cutting out the yellow ink in the dark angels washes also throws the color back into a darker shade. Note: when using washes add a little white glue and a little dish washing soap, helps make them more consistant when painted on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.