Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for painting water well, or know of any tutorials/guides online? A bit of a search on LO and google has given me little results so far.. I'm interested in painting bases to look like they are in water, and I also have a plastic water feature on one of my models that I will need to choose colours to paint and highlight it with.

I know that for the bases you can get artificial water effect, or even use PVA glue and mix a bit of blue ink with it or something. I don't know what to do for the basecoat on the base though, put sand or paint it some kind of blue/green?

Cheers.

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
How to Make Wargames Terrain touches briefly on the subject, but not nearly enough to warrant a buy. Maybe you should look into the various water effects that is on the market, GW has one you can easily obtain. They are easy to use and paint right!

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
do a search on the web for "woodland Scenics" they produce a good range of water effects and have tutorials on their site

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
do a search on the web for "woodland Scenics" they produce a good range of water effects and have tutorials on their site

This is the stuff for still water. There is also a 'cousin' product called Water Affects for simulating waves.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I finally got around to painting the water effect in question.

Thoughts? I'm still not sure what to do with the bases, whether to put sand underneath. I could either put sand down and paint it up, then put that realistic water or PVA/blue ink on top, or I could skip the sand leave the base blue as it is and add the PVA/blue ink to that. And I'm not sure where to go from here with the colours of the water, I think it should be highlighted up to skull white at the very tips but that would be fairly hard to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey. Although the way you modeled the guy with the water swirling around him is freakin awesome, I can't say the water looks realistic. It looks lke some regal blue on some darker blue mix (or just a pure darker blue). I would put in more variety, as it is a large area, and work on the blending a bit more. You have very clearly defined lines between the colors.

After it looks a bit more like water (I applaud your efforts so far) I would paint it with several coats of gloss varnish.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It actually started as a mixture of enchanted blue and scaly green, the reason it goes so suddenly from dark to light is because of the blue ink I used. There is also a bit of green ink on it, but that didn't look as good. I agree the colour does need a lot more work, but thats why I'm here. :)

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
I really depends on what sort of effect you want to go for. If you intend the base to look like deep water then I would avoid sand altogether. For this I would work on the paint job of the base as detailed above, and when it is ready cover it in a thin layer of water effect/PVA. If you were keen on painting the very choppy bits of water as white foam, I would paint this on top of the water effect otherwise it will just look like bubbles under the surface.

If you wanted to go for a shallow water look then the fine sand approach would be the best idea.

Hope it helps,

Rich.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rp252 said:
I really depends on what sort of effect you want to go for. If you intend the base to look like deep water then I would avoid sand altogether.
I want shallow water actually. I was thinking about doing the front rank in water (on a beach) and the second rank half water, half sand, then the back rank completely on sand.

Here are a few trials I did with water bases.

The one on the left is sand then pva/blue ink which I think looks the best (though still not great). On the top side of it I used less ink, the bottom side came out way too dark. But even the left side is fairly dark.

The middle one is painted like the wave then blue ink/pva, again the right side is darker.

And the right one is straight pva/blue ink on the black base, didn't work at all.

Thoughts?

·
2,244 Posts
This is going to look awesome when you finish Strewart. I can't wait to see it.

Have you tried doing sand with much less ink than in the first one.
I think that the second one looks really nice in the way that it changes depth, a blend from sandy colour at the back and going to a slight less intense blue at the front.

It is just that water is really clear till it gets deep, it would be cool if you could get a foamy effect using a snow recipe perhaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts