Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I think you could use some sort of light grey, thin it down (if you can find a grey ink that's great) and paint it in the recesses. By using some mixing you can go gradually darker though it might not even be necessary.

·
Registered
485 Posts
For the base colour you can use a lot of others than gray, it really depends on what kind of hue you want the white to have when you are finished.

For example:
If you want an 'icy' feel to the white you should use a light blue.
If you want a 'warm' white you should use a reddish tone, like pink or orange

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What, you mean you start with the "darkest" colour, say light blue. Thin it out to the right depth, and for each subsequent layer just put more and more white in to it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's how I do it. You can also wet-blend up from an ink by adding more and more white. This creates a great dither effect with no real discernable lines of color but it does tend to be dark and quite high-contrast. Looks really cool IMO, although I don't think I'd use this trick to do something I wanted to be mostly white.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'm not that fond of washes and inks anymore, they give a too glossy look...

I think I would mostly go for the "several layers with increasing lighter colour"...
It takes more time, but then again it's worth the effort...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont be affraid of washes! I have a solution....

First use oil paints...artist oils, BURNT UMBER. Then cut (mix) the oil paint (use very little) with turpenoid or Graumbacher's oil painting medium 2 in a small shot glass. Make sure that the mixer is loose, not heavy with oil paint. Use a controlled wash method which means you use a fine tipped paint brush and hit ONLY the crevasses you want the shodow in. After a day of dry time, you use flat clear coat. THis not only flattens the subject, but protects your model too! OH yeah, I forgot ONE important step......before you use the wash, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS spray on gloss clear coat. this makes the suface smooth and the wash glides on.

Im telling you it works! just look at my stuff in the gallery! good luck......I bet now you are more confused! LOL :huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use this for cold robes:
codex grey
codex grey/fortress grey
fortress grey
fortress grey/skull white
skull white

and this for warm robes:
bubonic brown
bubonic brown/bleached bone