Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
parents, ehh, ok

im trying to find a place to play again since i've havent played in awhile, but the only place my parents will take me is my l hobbytownusa, even if its only a little farther, and tonight they flat out said they didnt want me to play,:angry: :angry: :angry:
they tould me i should just stick with my model trains, which are even more expensive, anyone else have to deal with this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
My parents were like this to start , but once I sorted out my priorites(i.e schoolwork) they came round.
Find out what the problem they really have with GW gaming is and see if you can sort it out in a calm and peaceful manner. its the only way that works.If its transport see if you can get yourself there, go with a friend or use public transport.

Tygra

·
Registered
943 Posts
sorry I cannot relate because I am the valedictorian in my class, and get the best grades

·
durus
2,578 Posts
This is what my son did to me: Dad, you like WWII tanks and all that, you should see this army called Imperial Guard, its really cool..........look a the nice taaaankksssssssssss. :rolleyes:

3000+ points later of IG, 2000pts of Deamonhunters, I play more than him.:shifty:

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
This is what my son did to me: Dad, you like WWII tanks and all that, you should see this army called Imperial Guard, its really cool..........look a the nice taaaankksssssssssss.

3000+ points later of IG, 2000pts of Deamonhunters, I play more than him.
Haha my dad just thinks that they're expensive peices of plastic. (the expensive part is right though :tongue:

·
Registered
364 Posts
My mom is ok with me playing, but my dad just does not get why i'm into it.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
If you have friends who play GW play round there till your parents think you are old enough to use public transport, other wise if you can't play concentrate on the painting and modeling side of the hobby until you can, the extra practice should come in handy if ever you enter a tournament. Model Trains converted into Imperial Guard Artillary Trains may get your parents to see where your true interests lie.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
its not about bad grades or anything bad, it's just my parents think its a stupid hobby, and dont want to drive anywhere past 15 minutes, and the only local store doesnt have games anymore cause their only employee for GW stuff went to college, plus i really dont know how to play, ive got a board me and my friend built but he doesnt play anymore, well he never really did play, he decided to buy models from 6 different armys' and 5 different codex's, so he never even played one game, and kinda scared himself away from the game, i try to get him back in but he doesnt want too

also, i like my model trains too, but untill i get a job( hopefully in april, at my local htusa, so i can maby get there warhammer program back up

plus my dad wont let me take a bus, i know one other person that plays, so i might be able to go with him

·
Registered
364 Posts
it's just my parents think its a stupid hobby, same here but with my dad only

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
My parents don't understand why I spend $500 on little models of guys with guns.
Then I won a tournement and got $100 cash...
They understood after that :shifty:

Now my Dad is looking into playing.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I was lucky my three older brithers had already had this argument with my parents by the time I started to play so even if I couldn't go to a local GW (which my town didn't have anyway) I could play against them and they had been collecting for about 8 years so had a LOT of models.

Any way in three years time you can learn to drive, hold out til then.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
My wife complains about the costs, but i have two sons that play with me, and when we spend an evening painting, chatting together, and not watching the tube, she seems to like it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
also another thing tha stinks was that i was goin to do the academy program so i could relearn how too play, but they wont take me.

lucky for u doctor, if i can manage to get to GD in march, and paint a good enough model(thats all i've really done is practise painting, i've gotten pretty good) that i can get in atleast one of the top 3 in the youngblood comp.( ill be praying, this is my last year i can enter)
then maybe my parents will finally might not bug me about my hobby

[edit] actually im turning 15 april 2nd, i get a permit then, so i can drive aslong as somone 21 or over is in the car, then a year later i can get my license, so its more like alittle over 1 year WOOO!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My parents are basically just happy that I'm not out doing drugs or gambling (though my local hobby store is filled with people like that), so they don't really care whether or not I play 40k (they do prefer it over videogames, however), but they never buy me anything for it except occasionally on christmas, in which case they'll get me maybe $30 worth of stuff, whereas my relatives get me everything else.

My parents don't want me going to the hobby place without my brother or a friend, because it's in a bad neighborhood (average of 12 murders a year) and there's tons of junkies, and the workers at the store are trash as well (but they're nice if you get to know them).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just deal with it slowly. Don't buy too many, slowly build up your army so your parents don't think you are spending too much, and promote the positive aspects. :p Like painting and such. Push it as an artistic thing where you can express your own creativity...

But frankly, since you do already work with model trains, I can't really see a big jump from one to the other. You'll just need to take time, and don't get too agitated. Getting into a big fight will get you nowhere. But neither would blindly listening to them. XP

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i hope by after my bday in april i can get another tactical sqiad, and assualt squad, then i'll be pretty much done with my SM army, cause i really am interested in IG now,so i want to start that soon

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
i hope by after my bday in april i can get another tactical sqiad, and assualt squad, then i'll be pretty much done with my SM army, cause i really am interested in IG now,so i want to start that soon
Im kind've in the same situation. I want to get a Zoanthrope to finish off my Tyranids so I can start a new army :yes:

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Costs? Learn the ways of EBAY and online shopping my friends, (assuming you dont..) tell your parents that you save a lot of money this way ;)

And basically just tell them its your hobby. And also do not over***** purchasing. And show them your models and painting.. (assuming you dont paint... that horrible) it should all be good. Tell them, "Hey instead of buying a pack of cigarettes Ma, I'm buying BLISTERS! I'm not doing drugs, but I take GW crack. XD )

Well I guess I'm the lucky one.. started wh40k at age of 8, I am 16 right now. My parents has never stopped me yet. Well... maybe because I have gained a couple thousand of dollars because of wh40k =), and have thousands of dollars of wh40k of my own, while me only spending 25% of its worth ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats awesome, wish i had started that young, i helped my 8 year old lil bro paint his first figure, he actually did decent, pretty good considiring he's 8, now all i need to do is actually play, get good, win some money, OR win a painting comp. or make any kind of money for anything to do with warhammer, and maybe they'll not mind me playing it

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
wiglebienie said:
IG hurst the wallet, might be a problem in your case with the parents. At any rate, don't give up. My parents tried to stop me and I beat them in the end by refusing to back down. Now they don't care what I do for a hobby. :yes:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts