Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
The use of pariahs is, ironically a way to become a pariah yourself among Necron players. I've used them a couple times, and honestly I can't say I was unimpressed, but I wasn't necessarily blown away either.

It greatly depends on what you want to be adding to your army. If you want a tough shooting support unit, Immortals will always be a better choice. If you are looking for a hard-hitting shock troop unit that can bring a bit of shooting and some nifty special abilities around, I'd give them a try. Pariahs, consequently, mesh well with flayed ones, and a lord w/ gaze of flame, or nightmare shroud, is not a bad thing to have around them either. This is called a "fear" list.

I'll have to take a look at your list before I could say if Pariahs would or would not be a good call, generally speaking, though, it is FAR easier to use immortals, just keep that in mind.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Problem pariahs have is other than tank hunting (that S5 and 2D6 is fairly good at slicing most tanks up) pariahs counter only 1 unit in the game and no player worth their salt will let said unit get into contact with pariahs.

It just so happens that the unit turns out to be normal terminators and thunderhammer/stormshield termies who are more then likely inside a land raider making the pariahs useless really until the terminators decide to strike.

Pariahs have their uses, but you have to build a list around them - you can't just botl them on and expect them to work coherently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I was thinking that I could use veil of darkness with the immortals but then I was thinking what if I added a warsythe to my lord and put in some flayed ones instead of immortals?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
well I was thinking that I could use veil of darkness with the immortals but then I was thinking what if I added a warsythe to my lord and put in some flayed ones instead of immortals?
Flayed ones are also a funny unit being a slow(ish) CC unit that is only as good as an assault marine in an army purely dedicated to shooting pretty much. I personally think the inclusion of an average size squad (7 or 8 ) is always a sensible move (assuming you don't run the destroyer armada) but flayed ones need to be used as a counter charge unit IMO meaning they won't do anything until the enemy gets close making them a bit of a dead weight within the list.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Well, Lord + Flayed Ones is certainly a lot cheaper than Lord + Immortals, but since Flayed Ones can Deep Strike without the lord I kind of don't see the point. If you want to run a bad-ass CC unit, take Destroyer Lord and run him together with Wraiths or Tomb Spyders. The purpose of Flayed Ones is to Deep Strike or Infiltrate and kill soft, shooty stuff. The purpose of Flying Circus is something altogether else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ravendove's idea is hilarious, no matter who you're facing.

However in the choice of immortals and pariahs, I'd choose immortals and get a few scarabs. I used pariahs before and trust me, they aren't that good. No WBB is a bit of a downer as well since you'll be losing 36 points a wound.

Don't underestimate scarabs. They are lethal and great fun to use at the same time.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Pariahs have their uses but you have to know what to do with them. They compete in Elite slot with Immortals and Flayd Ones but are of very different purpose. A small Pariah unit (4 or 5) costs the same as 5 to 6 Immortals or 8 to 10 Flayed Ones.

- Immortals pack more firepower and survivability, but can't do much in CC
- Flayed Ones rock in CC against lightly armored, low Ld troops but can't shoot and have trouble with Power Armor/Terminator saves
- Pariahs suck in CC against hordes, but can shoot, can open up tanks or terminator armor and can make Orks fail morale

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pariahs have their uses but you have to know what to do with them. They compete in Elite slot with Immortals and Flayd Ones but are of very different purpose. A small Pariah unit (4 or 5) costs the same as 5 to 6 Immortals or 8 to 10 Flayed Ones.

- Immortals pack more firepower and survivability, but can't do much in CC
- Flayed Ones rock in CC against lightly armored, low Ld troops but can't shoot and have trouble with Power Armor/Terminator saves
- Pariahs suck in CC against hordes, but can shoot, can open up tanks or terminator armor and can make Orks fail morale
Pariahs and Immortal both have equal fire power. Both use assault 2 gaussblasters.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Because of the cheaper nature of immortals, their firepower is actually slightly higher, because you can afford more of them (10 immortals costs less than 8 pariahs do, that's a 4 shot difference). If you want a tough firebase grab Immortals, if you want a firebase that can dice terminators, grab Pariahs.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
And more durable...WBB and COUNT towards phase out...pariahs...oh the sad forgotten gene...
Its all about what you expect of them, really. If we compare the Elite slots with each other for the price of one (1) warrior squad as Elites you can get 10 Flayed Ones, 6 Immortals or 5 Pariahs. As Elites can't score, then the missions you give to them are either to contest, to support or to kill stuff. Of all these three options Pariahs are most fragile, but they are also the only ones who can punch through 2+/3+ save or make 12-man boyz trukker squad run.

If you need to pack heavy shooting power, Immortals are the ones to pick.
If you need to counter-charge MEQ or Deep Strike to slice up artillery and contest objectives, FO's are the guys to do it.
If you need to slice up TEQ or make Orks run, Pariahs can do it.

Personally I see Immortals as cheap destroyers. They can take the same punishment, but they can't turbo-boost to the flanks and they don't have S6 shootiness. The thing Immortals do well is to sit in the middle of your Phalanx and shoot up everything untill they are finally caught up in charge and get tied into CC for the rest of the game.

Flayed Ones can't be replaced in their infiltration/deep strike role by deep striking a 'lith and teleporting warriors, but often its just not cost-effective. And FO's are good for tying up nasty MEQ units into CC before they can reach your Phalanx.

Pariahs are not a walking firebase (they die too easy) or CC unit to take on hordes (yet again, they die too easy). Their job is to slice up TEQs, ICs and MCs with heavy armor and invu saves or just sit out and make enemy fail their morale saves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts