Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that falcons have seen a drop in popularity in 5th edition (or at least in my gaming store, which is going out of business sadly :( ) which makes me sad as I recently found the cloud-strike squadron box I misplaced and now have assembled. I have thought of a maybe interesting way of using my falcons besides the fire dragon drop that I would like some feedback on as I won't be playing 40k anytime soon.

My question to members of LO is this:

I take a squad of pathfinders and was wondering if it would be a good idea to let them have their own "dedicated transport" of the falcon kitted out with some nice heavy weapons. It would basically be a gunship until they were to be in trouble then they would just be zoomed away thanks to their own falcon.

Would this work or just be waste of points that could be used elsewhere?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The poor falcon has it rough. A well kitted falcon with scatter lasers, an under slung cannon, spirit stones, and holo fields costs 185 points

and its only balistic skill 3... you practically need a farseer or eldrad to use guide on it for it to be an effective gunship.

Not only that you'll only have 1 or 2 farseers and you'll need them up close to cast doom for dire avengers, storm guardians, and banshees... and a Falcon wants to hang back and shoot.

Falcons aren't even that great at transporting units. The Waveserpent's energy field is amazing, and it they get it for free. Not only that, Waveserpents can carry more troops, and their heavy weapon is twin linked, making them the most accurate lance or eml platform we have.

The other problem it has is it competes with Fire Prisms for heavy support slots. Fire Prisms are stronger the more of them you have on the field, and you can put one on the field without any upgrades for 115 points, and its still effective due to its amazing range, and ability to contribute beams.

for the price of a Falcon filled with pathfinders, you can field a Waveserpent with 5 fire dragons, and a Fire Prism... you do the math

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That is why it is a waste of points. If the falcon moves from the HS slot it will get used alot more practically, but the ability to carry 2 heavy weapons and an assault weapon will probably keep it in HS. ....even though a vendetta is fast attack...

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I think that's more a consideration that the Vendetta would be competing with Leman Russ and Bassies for HS slots, and it really just is not up to their level.

As for falcon and pathfinders. Just make sure you put your pathfinders in a darned good spot. If something gets close enough to start causing problems for them, you're pretty well out of luck anyway.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
That is why it is a waste of points. If the falcon moves from the HS slot it will get used alot more practically, but the ability to carry 2 heavy weapons and an assault weapon will probably keep it in HS. ....even though a vendetta is fast attack...
A falcon can take 3 heavy weapon, but it doesn't matter. It's all about the strengths of the weapons and the distance moved per turn.

Additionally, if you have rangers/pathfinders (though if you have rangers that aren't pathfinders you're doing something wrong), you want them pumping out lots of shots. That means having them scout or be at the front of deployment, and then sit there and snipe, and get AP1 on 5+. : gratuitous joy:

Putting your snipers in a Falcon means putting a "sit back and snipe" unit inside a "sit back and snipe unit" that happens to have a small amount of transport capacity.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
A falcon can take 3 heavy weapon, but it doesn't matter. It's all about the strengths of the weapons and the distance moved per turn.

Additionally, if you have rangers/pathfinders (though if you have rangers that aren't pathfinders you're doing something wrong), you want them pumping out lots of shots. That means having them scout or be at the front of deployment, and then sit there and snipe, and get AP1 on 5+. : gratuitous joy:

Putting your snipers in a Falcon means putting a "sit back and snipe" unit inside a "sit back and snipe unit" that happens to have a small amount of transport capacity.

Actually a shuriken cannon is an assault 3 weapon.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Actually a shuriken cannon is an assault 3 weapon.
Wow do I feel stupid. You're right. (Although, it only matters for the DR exarch, otherwise it's on a skimmer-tank, a walker, a monstrous creature, or a guardian heavy-weapon platform.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.