Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
under 4th edition i had lists worked out upto 2,500 points. as some of you may remember I had never really bothered with Pathfinders in my list. the reasons for this where as follows:

a) the Devilfish always seemed pointless as they would never use it and I'd just have a devilfish wandering around
b) I never could really afford to buy the figures

now with the vaste array of cover saves in 5th edition and the loss of the dedicated transport issue I can see a whole world of possibilities opening up to me with regards to pathfinders and there trusty markerlights. I've also got a load of spare FW's knocking around and though I might as well turn them into Pathfinders!!

I usually use 2 squads of 12 FW's with a devilfish each. I was thinking I could now run 2 squads of Pathfinders and use thier Devilfish for my FW.

Is this a good idea?

I tried this at 1000 points last week (although with only 1 team of pathfinders so I had to buy the second devilfish) and it seemed to work. The BS boost did wonders for my rapid firing FW's on a Terminator assualt squad.

The biggest problem I can see is that the FW's would be sat exposed first turn.

Any advice would be cool.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
I usually use 2 squads of 12 FW's with a devilfish each. I was thinking I could now run 2 squads of Pathfinders and use thier Devilfish for my FW.

Is this a good idea?
Yes! You should always have pathfinders in your list for exactly the reasons you listed. A: Markerlights. B: Transports for your Fire Warriors.

And that's about the size of it. Smart deployment will keep your FWs alive for as long as they need to be to embark. Seriously, if your opponent is more worried about your fire warriors than the other elements of your list, your list is way too weak to be workable.

Reactions: Skarsgard

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Yes! You should always have pathfinders in your list for exactly the reasons you listed. A: Markerlights. B: Transports for your Fire Warriors.

And that's about the size of it. Smart deployment will keep your FWs alive for as long as they need to be to embark. Seriously, if your opponent is more worried about your fire warriors than the other elements of your list, your list is way too weak to be workable.
Yep I cannot think of one instance where I have lost FW's in the first turn. I use 9 man squads and just place them behind the Devilfish.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Pathfinders are a great asset to a Tau army. They should be able to net a 4+ cover save to increase their survivability.

As both Riki and #6 have alluded to; you should be able to keep your firewarriors alive long enough to get them on a transport.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't have any problem keeping them alive.....well in 4th ed at least.

the issue for me is that I think i might be quite an aggressive player....I certainly am compared to the other players in my group.....and do tend rove forward with my devil fish full of fire warriors from turn one looking to cut off assault routes and lay down some rapid fire hate. i used this a lot in 4th ed. also we tend to not play missions just one side tries to kill the other.....mostly because a couple players in our group don't feel tactically confident!!!

thanks for the help guys. 2 squads of pathfinders it is!!

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
"Aggressive" Tau! :rotfl:

If you're not constantly saying, "Not in the face! Not in the face!" you're almost certainly TOO aggressive. ;)

Myself, I worry about anything getting within 18" of me. I work as hard as I can to ensure that nothing gets that close. (If it can at all be helped, of course.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Aggressive" Tau! :rotfl:

If you're not constantly saying, "Not in the face! Not in the face!" you're almost certainly TOO aggressive. ;)

Myself, I worry about anything getting within 18" of me. I work as hard as I can to ensure that nothing gets that close. (If it can at all be helped, of course.)
Indeed. In a game against tyranids I learned that sending them in to rapid fire, even with markerlights to boost their BS, is suicide. If you can shoot, anything that survives can charge you.

I also learned in another game that keeping your firewarriors in their devilfish is very important (though there may be times you can get out and shoot, but you have to think about how open you are to assault, or shooting. A unit with multiple templates will make them want to be indoors).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also learned in another game that keeping your firewarriors in their devilfish is very important (though there may be times you can get out and shoot, but you have to think about how open you are to assault, or shooting. A unit with multiple templates will make them want to be indoors).
but where is the fun!!!! staying in your devilfish all safe and sound!!! Live a little!

I tend to put my devilfish between two bits of terrain so that it blocks the assualt and then deploy out of the back and let rip/ always seems to work for me! as I said though I'm not playing against military geniuses!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
just wondering where in the rule book does it say you cant move under skimmers

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
There is no 3rd dimension in 40K. Every model, even skimmers (no matter how high the vehicle itself if modeled off its stand/base) occupy space on the board.

The only exception to this is if you are employing levels in buildings, in which case models can actually exist above/below each other over the same board footprint.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in 4th you couldn't move with 1" of an opposing model without assaulting......or something like that.

I'm pretty sure 5th is the same.....although I've have still only played 2 games and it hasn't come up yet!

use your Devilfish to block assaults (known as fish of fury) then rapid fire the hell outta the enemy with your firewarriors. this is why flechette dischargers work so well. to get anywhere near your firewarriors the assaulting troops need to get past the devilfish. they take hits from the flechette dischargers automatically. great against low armour save enemies and work well to thin out MEQ's too......just watch out for jump packs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.