Librarium Online Forums banner

What attribute of Campaigns do you like the most?

• It's all about showing others whose the boss!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A unique flavorful story, in a captivating setting.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Getting more games of 40k in.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Meeting interesting new people.

• I don't like Campaigns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

One hobby goal of mine for this year is to create a narrative based Campaign for Warhammer 40,000. It seems like most of the time a strong story has been missing in the games in the games I play. This thread is dedicated to creating a long lasting campaign for my friends and I.

To start off I've listed perquisites for the Campaign.

List of Campaign needs:

1.) Representation of the narrative and setting.

This is something that I think is so obvious that people tend to forget that they need to work on it. The representation of the narrative can encompass a gamut of things; environment rules, special units and characters, terrain pieces, unique scenarios, stratagems, etc.

I wanted to mention this specifically, because I think this will add the most enjoyment to the player's gaming experience.

2.) Points escalation and army building.

I am thrilled with the idea of an army gradually building up and evolving. It's a way of adding story; and also a device to measure each players progress and make the campaign more tangible.

A lot of my group members are either new or restarting the hobby after a hiatus. Hopefully starting small will ease everyone into the campaign system.

3.) A campaign system that allows for large gaps of time between games.

This is a huge obstacle for my group and I. I have roughly about six people that a "regularly" play with. I only really end up meeting up with two or three of them at any given time. It is a rarity that I meet up with everyone all at once.

It had occurred to me the possibility of running multiple campaigns with several groups of people; but that would mean multiplying my effort two or three fold. I simply don't have the time for that; and it would add an extra layer of complication.

4.) Player Resource Online (PRO)

Player Resources Online may not be the best word for it. But PRO is essentially for players to get more involved if they choose to. It could mean they could read up on the Campaign background to get inspired; or they could check their game stats over the last few months.

PRO could also be used for players to arrange games and seek out new opponents.

The next post I'm going to go into more detail about the campaign system I've chosen; and list some issues that I've been grappling with.

I would be absolutely grateful for any comments or suggestions. If the opportunity presents itself I would like to incorporate other forum ideas into the Campaign system.

thanks,

Patternmaker

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Well, I may be able to offer you some help. This was originally written for Fantasy, and focuses primarily on map-based campaigns, but it's pretty much everything I've learned from running campaigns for my local friends. Check it out:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/fb-campaigns/189260-tactica-campaign-writer.html#post1642930

In all honesty, you could probably set up a group here on LO to take care of your 'PRO' needs. I know it's a shameless plug, but we're always happy to have new members, and if these guys are also looking for stuff like army help, a place to show off their stuff, etc they'd be hard pressed to find a better place. It's also free, and easy for you to set up, rather than having to create a web page through Wiki or something.

The LO Fantasy campaign that I was running was a narrative format, which allowed for a larger gap between games. All I required was that the players report the games against their opponents, and then I took care of providing the story based on the outcomes.
The fact that you guys can't all meet at once is what is going to make your campaign difficult. If you go with any sort of upgrade system, map, nodes, or whatever, you need to have some way to keep track of everything and keep everybody honest.

The best method that I could come up with off hand would be to buy yourself some cheap cards and run a node-based campaign (using the node ideas from that link I gave you) that is part deck-building game. Basically, every time players in the campaign meet, they place a card up as a wager. These cards provide bonuses, like unlocking heavy support options or something. The winner takes both cards. If a player runs out of cards, they're either out, or have to start over with a starter hand and however many points you began the campaign with. Whenever two players met, the size of the game is determined by the smaller of the two armies, down to the minimum size of the armies which started the campaign (so if you start with 500pts, and I take my 1750pt army to battle against you with only 600pts, we play a 600pt game).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best method that I could come up with off hand would be to buy yourself some cheap cards and run a node-based campaign (using the node ideas from that link I gave you) that is part deck-building game.
We have similar ideas I think. I found my old issue of Citadel Journal with a campaign called, "The Chrysos Campaign." The campaign uses cards as part of a territory system. (Which is pretty much as you described) The fundamental rules for Chrysos are quite solid; it just requires a little bit of updating to get it working with the current edition. For the moment I'm planning on using a tweaked version of that.

In all honesty, you could probably set up a group here on LO to take care of your 'PRO' needs.
For the reasons we mentioned above that would be very helpful. I don't want to rely PRO too much; when I was participating in "The Battle for Aurora Prime" I had a few friends that weren't really interested in joining a forum. Besides that, there is a lot of talent on the Librarium Online; I would like to utilize this creative resource as much as possible.

I am looking forward to reading your Campaign link. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts