Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. With ToP2 finished I'm starting this to collect all my projects.

First off are links to my other stuff.

Imperial Guard Tale of Painters - The starting point of my guard army.

Pete's Overgrown City - My big abandoned city project.

I'm going to be taking a bit of an IG break for a bit, so this thread will be mostly marines until I get into the new IG codex. I'll be bouncing between them and my city project.

So to get things started here was my first Marine. Raptors chapter. The bulk of the force will be 2nd company. This guy is in 1st squad.

Here's the first combat squad getting ready for paint. I magnetized the special weapon because I can't decide on Melta or Flamer yet. So why not both? This squad also contains the Sergeant with a power weapon made from a big Catachan sword.

The Raptors list is still being tweeked, but's it'll look something like this painting-wise.

Converted Shrike count as

Sternguard Squad - Drop Pod, Powerfist or lightning claws, a few multimeltas

Dreadnought - Drop Pod, Assault cannon, DCCW, Heavy Flamer (all magnetized)

1st Tactical Squad - Power weapon, Melta/flamer, Missle launcher

3rd Tactical Squad - Drop Pod, Power fist, Melta/flamer, Heavy bolter(?)

Scout Combat Squad - Converted Telion count as(maybe), Sniper Rifles, Missle Launcher, Camo Cloaks

2nd Assault Squad - Powerfist, Flamer

1st Devestators - 4 missle launchers

Other possibilities are 5 Lightning claw terminators, a couple Land speeders, or maybe more scouts.

That's it for now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
These Raptors are lovely! So clean and the shoulder pads are the best part! Nice choice of colors, and I wish I could do simulated hand writing so well!

Francois

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
One more Raptor. Took me forever for some reason. It'll probably take some time to get the painting pattern down for these guys. My muscles are trained to paint guardsmen! I'm pretty proud of this guy. Moreso than the first, but now my hands are all cramped up. His base is a little preview of how my city terrain is going to look.

Next update should be the full combat squad I hope.

Painting that arrow was scary. I spent so much time getting that white smooth and then I had to sling black all over it. I'm going to mix it up between painted arrows and stamped arrows.

·
His jetbikes are many.
282 Posts
I like them a lot, the dark, "realistic" color scheme is well executed and looks great.

I especially like the bases with the gray stones... they are simple yet very well executed, they really make the models stand out.
I don't know if it was intentional or but the green patches of static grass visually "tie" the model to their bases.

I would just add some extra, thin highlight over the very edges of the models (especially on the face, to provide a "focal point" for the model) using a mix of Bleached Bone and green, but it is a matter of personal taste.

Very good work so far, I am waiting for more!

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

The Great Guard Reform has begun!
I got my hands on the new codex so I was able to put a basic list together. Not too bad in terms of remodeling. I've decided that GW's random decision to make all Sgts use chainswords can go to hell. Mine are keeping their rifles for the time being.

So here it is with my modeling notes.

HQ
Company Command
Power weapon, Vox, Medic, Camo Cloaks
These guys just need a Vox and a little repainting including a Medic badge and maybe some additional equipment for him.

Troops
Platoon Command
Bolter, Vox
All the grenade launchers moved into Harker's Vets, so they need to be replaced.

1st Squad - Autocannon, Plasma gun
Clean up the plasma gunner and do the base

2nd Squad - Autocannon, Grenade Launcher
Finish the autocannon and paint the new Sgt

3rd Squad - Heavy Bolter, Flamer
Finish the Heavy Bolter team and clean up some bases.

Heavy Weapon Squad
3 Missile Launchers

Harker's Veteran Squad
Gunnery Sgt Harker, 3x Grenade Launchers, Vox
I think this squad will dish out much better mobile pain than the platoon command ever could. Excited to see how they'll do. I'll be using my HB converted guard as Harker. I have to try to get his head off without damaging it to replace it with something cooler. Also more detailed paint to show off his new point value.

Veteran Squad
Camo Cloaks, 2x Plasma, Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher
Just some basing work

Fast Attack

2x Scout Sentinels
Autocannons, Camo

Hellhound

Valkyrie
Multilaser, Rocket pods

Elite

8x Stormtroopers
2x Melta guns
First new thing. I'm waiting to see what the plastic stormtroopers will look like. If they're bleh I'll go ahead with my conversion ideas.

Heavy Support

Ace Vanquisher
Tank Ace Pask, Lascannon, Camo, Extra Armor
Really expensive, but I love vanquishers and it'll be a badass model

2x Leman Russ Battle Tanks (not squaded)
Extra Armor
Nice and simple, and I'll have my full squad of Leman Russ that I've always wanted.

Here's my reorganized Squads

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been moving so I wasn't able to do any hobby stuff for a while, but I'm back and settled kind of.

I've been waiting and waiting for plastic stormtroopers while fighting off the need to convert my own. I lost that fight today and started working on one to see what I could come up with. I felt great joys after I stuck him all together. I think he's lookin' pretty badass. I wish I would have tried making the tunic bottom sooner. I could have had a few less codpiece guardsmen in my army. But that's okay, I still like how my other scout leg guardsmen look.

I used the heavy weapons head with the shades on and did a quick kasrkin mask on it. It's a little bigger than I'd like but I'm okay with that. They'll get better as I make more. The only thing left to model here is a little thigh plate and I'll put the little rivets into the shoulderpads like the metal ones have.

Here's my ideas for the Hotshot lasgun based off of the picture in the new codex. The top one was first and I didn't like it. Ended up way too long. Especially with the new shorter range I wanted it to look more like a carbine. So I scrapped that and did the bottom one which I like a lot. I'm not too sure if I like the big optics on it, but it grew on me once I stuck the arms onto him. Thoughts?

Once today's work cures I have to go back in and add some armored gloves and the thigh plate. Then it's just a matter of covering him in proper gear. I really like the scout legs for this as they give me a holster for the las-pistol so he just needs a knife and some grenades and he's all set for war. I'm not sure about a backpack of not. The metals have the huge power packs, but now that it's a hotshot lasgun it doesn't have to have some huge power supply. They could just have more magazines to keep things lighter and less encumbered.
EDIT: Made his gloves and thigh plate. Just need to sharpen things up and add some plasticard detail after they cure completely.

But! Here's my big hang up. I can't decide what to do with them scheme-wise.

The vast majority of storm troopers are called in from elsewhere, do their jobs, and head back to the Navy or wherever. So I kind of wanted to do their own color scheme to make them stand out on the table. I was considering using the colors from my Valkyrie. Like grey armor with brown fatigues, or catachan green and brown, or the valk's green with black fatigues. I don't know yet.

The other option is to make them a permanent part of my 110th company. This isn't a common thing in guard structure so I'm leaning away from it. But it offers up a lot of cool modeling and painting. I could mix in some catachan stuff, do a lot of camo and all the general coolness that the rest of my army has. I like the non-uniformity and continuing that into the elite stormtroopers would be fun.

As a note, my Grey Knights wouldn't be involved in any army list with stormtroopers in it. So I'm not worried about too many schemes going on at once.

So take a look through my army, mull it over, and let me know what you think.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finished him up this morning. I like it!

Here he is with his metal buddy.

I think he turned out really good. I wasn't really going for a Kasrkin copy but the effect is there. I never really liked the big Hellgun hose so the hotshot lasgun is a fortunate new thing. Next up is a catachan head one!

I'm thinking of doing a quick how-to. Maybe I'll take it over to the modeling forum and see if there's any interest. Seems to get more traffic over there.

Here's a little backpack I'm working on for either casting or stamping too. Catachan guy will definately get one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would certainly be interested, really nice conversion btw, the facemask looks ace!
The only thing bothering me is the empty holster =P

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice work once again by thepete. I really like the stormtrooper you did there, the backpack looks a bit weird to me, a armoured super soldier with metal plates all over his body and a cloth backpack. It just looks weird but good job anyway.

+rep

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Kevin.

Yeah the backpacks were intended for normal guardsmen use. I'm just trying to get more gear onto these guys. I added a little imperial eagle to the top and it fits in really nice. I'm going to have to figure out casting a little bit so I can get more of them made. If not for ST they'll at least be going on some already done Guard.

Here's my second guy. I'd like to try the catachan head but I'm not completely sold yet. I also changed the optics to kind of a backwards EOTech. It's a lot less crowded and looks cool to me. I just did it backwards so the display side of the glass looks good. I'll just paint the side they'd actually look through since it's not so visible.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well the catachan head seems out of place when beside the other one, but it really depends on what look you want, super soldier or commando (bulky or refined). As for a backpack for these guys, how about the ones from heavy weapons teams? They seem loaded up with all sorts of equipment including trench shovels.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yeah the bare head looks weird on those stormtroopers, i'd stick with the full helmet.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I got both of the new command squads a couple days ago so I've been messing with those. I thought it would be cool to have a multipurpose officer (with carpace armor because it looks cool). I've thought about magnetizing his arms, but I probably won't bother. I don't think I'd ever take a powerfist and I already have a power weapon guy, so I'm set there. He'll probably spend most of his time as a Tank Ace, but he can sub as Captain when Sneakydood wants to be like Marbo.

In other news. Here's the guys I have to paint to fill new gaps in my squads. A couple platoon infantry, a cool command vox guy, a new sergeant, a new head for my Harker stand-in, and a lasgun guy for his vet squad. Oh and a regimental standard not seen here.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Someone was asking about autoguns in another thread so here's a good place to stick my quick conversion. I've just PM'd it to a couple people in the past, so might as well put it up.

I don't think it needs too much explaining. The only thing that doesn't come with the guard kit is the bolter magazine, but those aren't too pricey at places like the warstore. I just grab mags from random SM conversions that I do, but if I were to cut up full bolters I'd put in a little extra time to add the front grip part too. That would look pretty slick. But I guess you could only use that for the seperated hand lasgun.

Anyway that's it. Nice and easy. Here's one I made for an old PDF trooper

In other news, I'm still slowly plugging away at reforming my guard for 5th. Have the few guys that I'm painting to plug holes in squads and thinking about what to do with my stormtroopers. Here's a quick shot of my newly finished (again) Harker stand-in.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's something a bit different. I don't really think my regiment would drag prisoners around so instead of a Penal Legion squad I'm going to make a Resistance fighter squad! They fit into the story of my city project which I'll try to post over there soon. I get bored of writing. Once I have enough city done to play in they could be used in more narritive/objective games as well.

I used Catachan legs, body, and head with cadian arms with shaved off shoulderpads. I filled in the open chest with a little GS shirt, added shirt length to the legs, made the right armband and watchcap. Also did a lot of messing with the lasgun to make it into a smaller SMG.

And here's paint! Nothing will be uniform on these guys. The only consistancy will be the green equipment and watchcap. I'm a big fan of Halflife, so the similarities are obvious and numerous. He's still a little WIP, but I'm waiting on some supplies and ideas for other things I might want to do with them.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.