Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to protect my worried Eldar from the ravages of Leighjt's emerging Tetragon of Darkness using 4 Daemon Lords I scoured eBay and eventually after some tense (not to mention expensive) bidding sessions managed to secure myself a pristine Armourcast Eldar Phantom Titan.
This guy is massive and really heavy and in game terms he is triffic!

I got lucky enough to win a bid which included the normal head as well as a Warlock titan head and four weapons: Phantom Pulsar, Heat Lance, Distortion Cannon and Psychic Lance. This is great as it gives the feller a bit of flexibility depending on how I feel like playing.

Here's the bits pic:

Even though he's massive he actually stands fairly well under his own weight without additional pinning. However I think I'll have think of a way to improve it a bit and still enable me to take it apart for transportation.

Height wise he's about 22" at the top of the "wings" and about 16" at the head. So wings included he's taller than a Reaver

Here's a better view of how he scales up to the other Eldar models.

So the colour scheme is pretty much dictated by the rest of my army so it will be variation of Biel Tan green and white with extra red and gold thrown in for good measure and Christmas cheer.

The main challenges at the moment are getting the model ready for painting. It's not a great cast so will need some care and attention to fill in bubbles, sand down rough bits and build up areas that didn't cast well. I also need to think about whether or not to put him on a base and whether I want to re-pose the legs. Originally I thought this was a must, but the more I look at him the more I think he looks good with the double leg plant "Come get some!" look he has at the moment. Raising a leg in a similar fashion to the Revenant may look a little ungainly on a model this size.

I was also debating as to whether to model on a bunch of extra detail as the work done by Navarro (buglands) is truly inspiring. However I'm a better painter than sculptor so I may decide to keep the additions to a minimum and spend more time on free handing extra details instead.

Needless to say I'm really excited about this project and look forward to sharing my progress and getting feedback as it moves along. No doubt it'll take me a couple of months as I'm always slow with these projects.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
I'll 'Ave it in Close Combat!!!! well its that or be shot at with 10" D cannon templates which ignore even invulnerable saves.. i'm wincing at the thought of this being fielded as a Warlock Titan... /shudder

Looking forward to seeing this completed.. Nice one again on getting this

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well, I really liked what Navarro did with his commission, and while I can completely understand you won't be going to quite the same lengths I might just hang around and watch the paint go on this monstrosity!

Best of luck with the preparation!

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the lack of an update here. I have spent a bunch of time filing down and prepping the model (still lots more of that to do).

I've decided that I'm not going to do a n extensive remodel with any greenstuff but I will make a couple of changes.

The first will be to remove one of the shoulder weapons which is supposed to be a prism cannon and replace with the gem from a normal prism cannon - as soon as I can pick one up cheap on ebay.

Secondly I've bought a large wooden plinth base for him - the picture below shows a slightly smaller version of the base which I bought for a different project.

The blue areas show how big the new base will be. Also I'm planning to model the base as a ruined city as this is how the rest of my Eldar army based. The blue shape in front of the leg is where I want to out a ruined building that will look as though the Titan leg as crashed through it. The green "pac man" is where I want to put a crashed grav tank (the remainder of the Fire Prism I need to get to re-cycle the cannon).

I've played around with the pose of the model and just by adding a bit of a twist at the waist gives it a sense of movement without having to cut and reposition the leg - This is a little lazy I'll admit, but I want this guy to be stable and he's quite top heavy.

While I'm waiting for the base to arrive I'll start on painting one of the weapons.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Ha, I can completely understand not wanting to cut the leg to repose it. Stability has to be a pretty important issue with big models like this!

The building idea sounds good! Looking forward to seeing that.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the base has arrived as has the dodgy old Fire Prism (previous owner seems to have painted it with a mixture of sand and nail varnish!?). Whilst I was waiting for that stuff to arrive I painted up one of the guns:

Lessons learnt from this: Armorcast casting are not very good - spend more time prepping for painting! Colour scheme holds up at this scale (IMHO).

Next move is to start on the next gun whilst planning and modelling the base. Need to go and get a tonne of plasticard now.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
I'm liking the runes on the end there.. its gonna be a beast!!!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
For some reason that photo looks much better if I put my head on its side... Must be my screen or something...

Nice work, though. The bulb on the end of the gun looks wonderful!

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't get too much done on this over Christmas, but I have completed the composition on the base:

The crashed Fire Prism/Falcon took ages to strip. Green on white on red on black!!! Still a couple of days soaking in Sainburys all purpose cleaner loosened most of the paint and a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush got most of the rest of the way there. The model still looks a bit rough but as it's old and crashed that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the rest of the base, I didn't want to make it too high so kept the buildings low level, also I made sure that there was plenty of space to see the front foot as I didn't want to completely mask this from view. Of course there'll be lots of other detritus and sand etc thrown over the base before it's done, but these are the main scenic elements.

Also not sure what colour to paint the Falcon - should it be in the colours of my own army or just for a change should I use a different colour scheme? I like the idea that the Titan is defending it - mybe the pilot is still inside?

Grateful for any feedback or suggestions on this as getting the base right is important as I want to ensure that the balance is there between base and model - I don't want the base to outshine the model, but it needs to be interesting all the same and that's a lot of space to cover.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Time to update my base picture - work is slow, but I'm really focussed now and have taken a couple of days off work to try and break the back of this project and get some momentum again!

I can already see that I need to put more sand and rubble down to bring the whole thing together. I'm going to paint the crashed Falcon in Saim Hann colours (red) mainly cos I have somre red spray paint which will speed this up :)

The buildings on the right will be painted in a metallic style and the rest of the base will be grey scale.

You can also see I've made a start on the big man himself and have painted the feet. My intention is to base coat the whole model before deciding which areas need more detail.

It's interesting to note that once the whole thing is put together you barely focus on the base and yet the base is massive!! I'm already thinking that I won't glue him to the base and will create a second base for gaming that is smaller and more importantly, lighter. This base will act as a display stand.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
The dual base idea is certainly a good one - provided it's not too much hassle to change between the two! Looks like you've made a good start on your titan; a very nice green there.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I haven't glued any parts of the titan and he sits fairly comfortably on 2 strong 5mm steel pins so it's very easy to take off the base.

The base has come on a lot now and is nearly complete, however I'm not back from work until after dark so can't get any good pics.

I've got an Apoc game planned forthe 9th Feb so I want to try and get the titan base coated by then, which hopefully is achievable and will give me a good idea of whether I've got the colour scheme right.

Incidentally he got used at the weekend against daemons and was awesome. Between him and the Rev titan they destroyed a Tower of Skulls and a Great Brass Scorpion in their first shooting phase and then proceeded to mop up much of what was left. He eventually got charged by Angarath (Khorne daemon lord) but held his own for 5 phases of combat before the game ended.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Man is that epic! I really love the work you've put into making the base interesting. As an interesting note, depending on the sort of terrain you use for you gaming boards, you could just remove terrain as he move and replace it in the same position on the base. Entire squads can duke it out between his legs! Just out of curiosity, how much did this sucker cost you?
Keep up the amazing work!

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As an interesting note, depending on the sort of terrain you use for you gaming boards, you could just remove terrain as he move and replace it in the same position on the base. Entire squads can duke it out between his legs!
That's a cool idea, there is certainly enough room on the base! He doesn't move around a lot in the game as the range of the weapons are huge so there's not a lot of need.

Just out of curiosity, how much did this sucker cost you?
Yeah, not for the faint hearted this one, just shy of £600 from eBay. This was high as it came with two head variants and 4 weapon options. Still it's 20 years old, postively an antique in this hobby.

·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time for another update. The big guy is mostly base coated and some parts are pretty much completed. Also the base is completed although I'm sure I'll keep going back and making minor adjustments.

Base from the front:

Base from the back:

And the Base with the legs on:

So far very happy with how things are turning out. The colour scheme is holding out well, but I do have a quandary on how to paint the wing mounts. My general scheme would be red for weapons with the wings coming out white - however this may cause a red zone round the head which may not look good. I've still got to prep these parts for painting so I don't need to decide yet.

Also I completed the head last night:

As with the other parts, I'm keeping the details basic at the moment and will decide whether or not they need additional details (Runes, vines etc) once I can see the whole thing together. Sadly with the head , almost all of it is obscured by the wings so you can't see anything but the face and the top.

Next up is the torso.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Very nice work so far - the vines look very clean and sharp, the highlights (especially on the green) are excellent.

I know it's only a small detail, but on the ruined building on the base there seems to be some kind of lamp; It looks to me like the green in that could do with a bit of a highlight similar to what you've done with the visor, so it looks like the lamp is glowing or something.

Otherwise, this looks superb! Hope you make some good progress on the rest!

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Good work mate, this is really shaping up nicely. I followed your other threads closely, so I'm excited to see the out come of this one. So far everything seems awesome as usual, I've not really much to add.

One question though, do you reckon you night do one of the Super Heavy Grav tanks next? I simply love those models and it would be great to see you work on them!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Just a quick question, in that group picture, is the next smallest guy from the armorcast titan a forgeworld titan? Or no? And do they sell thhese models online?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts