Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was close to phase out in my last game and had some questions about how PO works in conjunction with reserves.

My phase out number was 14 in a 2500 point game. I had a Monolith and 12 Warriors in reserve. I assumed that the 12 Warriors did not count as being part of the game until they arrived, which they didn't do until turn 4, but also assumed that the total phase out number was still based on the total number of models in the army. Are both of these assumptions correct? Let's assume for the sake of argument that my entire army consisted of a Monolith and 3x10 warriors. With the Monolith and one unit of Warriors in reserve the phase out number would be seven, but if my enemy got the 20 Warriors on the board down to seven, I'd phase out, even with ten Warriors still in reserve. Correct?

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
I was close to phase out in my last game and had some questions about how PO works in conjunction with reserves.

My phase out number was 14 in a 2500 point game. I had a Monolith and 12 Warriors in reserve. I assumed that the 12 Warriors did not count as being part of the game until they arrived, which they didn't do until turn 4, but also assumed that the total phase out number was still based on the total number of models in the army. Are both of these assumptions correct? Let's assume for the sake of argument that my entire army consisted of a Monolith and 3x10 warriors. With the Monolith and one unit of Warriors in reserve the phase out number would be seven, but if my enemy got the 20 Warriors on the board down to seven, I'd phase out, even with ten Warriors still in reserve. Correct?
Fortunately, incorrect.

PO is always based upon your total for the army list and requires that a whole 75% of "Necrons" be destroyed. Warriors in Reserve (special or otherwise) are not destroyed. The caveat to this, of course, is that if you are using the Special Reserves for Warriors and all Monoliths are destroyed then, per the FAQ, those Warriors are destroyed and count towards the 75%.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately, incorrect.

PO is always based upon your total for the army list and requires that a whole 75% of "Necrons" be destroyed. Warriors in Reserve (special or otherwise) are not destroyed. The caveat to this, of course, is that if you are using the Special Reserves for Warriors and all Monoliths are destroyed then, per the FAQ, those Warriors are destroyed and count towards the 75%.
Thanks. That's much simpler. I can't remember my friend's argument on the subject, but nothing in the Necron rules supports the way we played it. Probably should have been a clue:p.

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
Just an initial reaction, but couldn't you then have it so your forces could not be phased out? If they need to kill 1 or 2 more models but they aren't on the board yet you could essentially keep them off the board as long as you wish to prevent phasing out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No if you have warriors in reserve as soon as the Mono appears they HAVE to come out of reserves via the monolith (the power matrix can't be used for anything else until this is completed)
My understanding is that you have to roll each turn for BOTH the Monolith and the Warriors. If the Warriors arrive first, they deploy as soon as the Lith is available, but they can't come in until they are eligible. In that case, if the Lith is destroyed, the Warriors are considered destroyed. You definitely cannot choose to hold them out, however: when they are available, they must be deployed even if you would rather use the Particle Whip or transport something else that turn.

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
My understanding is that you have to roll each turn for BOTH the Monolith and the Warriors. If the Warriors arrive first, they deploy as soon as the Lith is available, but they can't come in until they are eligible. In that case, if the Lith is destroyed, the Warriors are considered destroyed. You definitely cannot choose to hold them out, however: when they are available, they must be deployed even if you would rather use the Particle Whip or transport something else that turn.
Correct.

The rules prevent any such funny business.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Ah yeah, that makes sense, for some reason I always just figured the warriors would come out without having to roll 'cause yer already rolling for the monolith.
Well we're at it the Monolith can summon units the turn it deepstrikes even though that takes up it's movement phase correct?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe that is correct, because your are using the power matrix to bring the necrons into play, as long as rolled successfully to bring the warriors in you should be able to bring them both in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.