Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using "Glow in the Dark\Luminescent Paint" on models (Plastic\Resin\Metal)?

If so any information and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Scott Allen & his wife

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Well paint is paint so there should be ok to use it, but I can image a few problems with this idea... First if you use it with no highlights, it will look kinda dull in the light, and if you shade it down it might look bad in the dark. If I was you I think the best way is to use the glow in the dark paint for lining the extreme highlights on something like the space marine armour, or as freehand or something like that. IMO it will probably be hard to paint for example a hole model with glow in the dark and make it look good. But try it out your self and show us the result :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I probably should have been more specific, my wife is mainly aiming to get the "Undead" army that helped Aragon in LOTR & maybe other models in that sort of range.

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Dear sir ill tell only one thing:I got my stomach damaged severly because of party colleges.But what has this to do with glowing paints is beyond me.
Perhaps not all countries have the same way of partying?

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Thanks, I probably should have been more specific, my wife is mainly aiming to get the "Undead" army that helped Aragon in LOTR & maybe other models in that sort of range.
While glowing paint might help with this look, there might also be a simple non-glowy method.

Try a white primer coat or basecoat (or light grey, if you can't get pure white) and then just use green washes until you're satisfied with the look. An image search for "Spirit Hosts" might turn up some useful pointers but I haven't had any great success with a quick look.

Alternatively, get in touch with [MENTION=17763]Meph[/MENTION] - He's been using some glowing or at least UV paint on one of his models, he might be able to give you a brand or something...

·
Cat-Herder Extraordinaire
962 Posts
Fi Fa Fo Fum!

As I've been getting a private message mini bombardment concerning UV paints. I though I'd post my advice here as well. Seemed like the decent thing to do. ^^

I bought the paint off of Ebay. My general advice would be if you have a choice between a cheap and an expensive brand, go for the expensive one. The difference will be noticeable and worth it.
You can treat is just as any other acrylic paint, with the exception that it does tend to dry out very quickly, so work with small amounts on a palette and make sure you close the bottle asap. Also, store it in a dark place. When still runny, you can apply it using any brush but also, you'll notice that when drying out, that the paint becomes very snot-like. I actually used that to my advantage to apply it on that bust's veins. You can apply a drop on a starting point and stretch/drape it where you want using a toothpick. Best is to work in multiple layers as the better the coating, the better the glow-in-the-dark effect.

Here's the one I bought:
Glow in the dark Nano AQUA Paint -SUPERIOR GLOSS | eBay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not apply luminous paint to the surface of plastic and resin, because they have poor weather resistance, you can paint on the surface of metal.
I have bought luminous paint before. I recommend it to you.https://glowtechno.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts