Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to take a break from painting purple to try my hand at painting an IG guy for fun.

Turns out I'm hooked, so guess what my next army's gonna be?

I surprised myself by actually painting a face I'm quite happy with and the fact that the entire paintjob only took about 4 hours. Woohoo!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mug-mug said:
Maybe you could make your IG army a Traitor IG army and use left over bits from your chaos to make em chaos like
Actually, I'm quite fond of the Cadian 8th colors and I really want to paint an old fashioned military looking force with lots of greens, tans, and greys. I thought about going Traitor, but ultimately I just wanna paint a kick ass Cadian 8th force for the tabletop.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
For another aspiring IG painter, how do you get your highlights on your green? I have almost
the same scheme except I use a german panzer grey and white schematic. Please induldge
if you've got any advice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJ AUN KOR said:
For another aspiring IG painter, how do you get your highlights on your green? I have almost
the same scheme except I use a german panzer grey and white schematic. Please induldge
if you've got any advice.
My local game store recently started selling the Reaper Master Series paints and I couldn't resist those dropper bottles after having used GW paints exclusively since I took up the hobby.

The green uses Reaper paints in this order:

1:1 Apple Barrel Black + Muddy Olive for the basecoat over GW Chaos Black Primer
(The black is my only non-reaper paint)
Muddy Olive
1:1 Muddy Olive + Olive Green
Olive Green for the first highlight
Pale Olive for the extreme thin highlight on the edges.

This is the only portion of the model that actually requires me to mix any paints as well, so the painting process is quite fast compared to my Emperor's Children.

I hope this helps!

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
lol could you possibly put this reaper paint codes into valejo range?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJ AUN KOR said:
lol could you possibly put this reaper paint codes into valejo range?
Sorry, I've never used or seen Vallejo paints. You could probably pull off the same effect using Black, Catchan Green and Camo Green though.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
Well, I can't imagine why you'd be happy with that face ;) . Truly awesome work, man (like it's some big suprise coming from you). I really love everything about the model, the subdued colors, the excellent shading/highlighting. Really superb. If that represents 4 hours of work, you are one fact painter! Now all you need is to base him! Really stupendous work!

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
UNDEADAIR! MUST make a paint guide one day for us, you come out of no where paintin' like a pro and each model leaves us feeling inferior. Show us how u do smooth paint transition. Plus do u have a steady hand?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gorgeous skin tones on the face... brilliantly done! Does he have eyes, or is he all squinty? If you're using the Reaper Masters for those flesh tones, then I'm doing something very wrong with mine... Good work!

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Brilliant work buddy... You've really improved since your Ultramarine days (not that they weren't great but you are way better now).
This guy is 'Eavy Metal standard, as are your Emperor's Children. Be proud, buddy! ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Commander Y said:
Gorgeous skin tones on the face... brilliantly done! Does he have eyes, or is he all squinty? If you're using the Reaper Masters for those flesh tones, then I'm doing something very wrong with mine... Good work!
Thank you, Y!! I'm still in shock the face turned out that well without having to mix a single color. They're straight from the bottle using Reaper Tanned Shadow (a few thin coats to this to cover the black), a single wash of GW brown ink, Tanned Skin, and Fair Shadow for the extreme highlights.

Since the idea is to paint for tabletop quality and speed, I decided to skip out on the eyeballs altogether as it would take way too long to get them right each and every time. I'd rather just leave them out altogether than either having all my guard looking shocked or spending an hour just getting them right. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LictorInTheGrass said:
UNDEADAIR! MUST make a paint guide one day for us, you come out of no where paintin' like a pro and each model leaves us feeling inferior. Show us how u do smooth paint transition. Plus do u have a steady hand?
I will definitely be making a painting guide for these guys... they're just WAY too easy not to do a step by step.

This is also the first mini I ever painted that I fully assembled beforehand. I'm gonna paint a few more up to get it down to a science though. Once I can paint one in 2.5-3 hours, I'll be making an article. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts