Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do you buy that pink foam? ive seen it in about every GW book and magazine, but the location remains hidden to me? why? where do you get it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They dont usually carry it anywhere in So cal because its not used much here in construction. But, you're in luck because I have found the only place around here that's actually got it and its almost always in stock. It'll be a bit of a drive for you from Torrance but not too bad. They carry it at Pomona Insulation Wholesalers, its just off the 10 fwy in pomona. You can get their number from 411. They carry 4x8 sheets, usually in 1in, 2in and 4in thicknesses. Last time I was there a 2x4x8 sheet was about $30.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Sometimes stores won't carry the pink kind. Sometimes it'll be blue.

Just go to a local hardware store (like Home Depot or Lowes) and look or ask for Polystyrene sheets.

Like Jakel said, they usually come 4'x8' and vary in thickness from 1/4" to up to 3".

·
Registered
182 Posts
canada_beaver said:
Yeah, we have it in pretty much every hardware store here in Canada.
Yeah cuz you guys actually need to insulate stuff :) same goes for us here in new england

California doesn't have as much of a need for insulation, I'm betting... but yeah, Lowe's or Home Depot are your best bets, though I'm not sure if they'll carry it around your area.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thank you guys :) and your right, cali doesnt need insulation. its like 60 farinheight right now and im freezing my butt off

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ok some extra info, or rather just me jumping into the discussion...

The access to this form of insulation foam is dependent on where you are in the world.
So it is no surprise that the stuff is not widely avaliable in CA, US.
If it gets real cold, colder than me having 32 fahrenheit right now, they tend to isolate houses with some wool like stuff...
But forget about that...

About the foam/polystyrene, it is avaliable in amlost all colours.
I've seen it in green, pink, hvite you name it...
But NEVER go for the blue stuff, it is good stuff but it is way out of anyone's price leage...

·
907 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure this is right, but I heard some colors release more toxic fumes when cut with a hot wire cutter than the others.

I've tried to find out more info on said topic but have been so far unsuccessful. Not sure if it's true or not.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It is a possibility that some of the insulation stuff avaliable can release toxic fumes, but then again if the stuff is meant for building insulation then I really don't think it is the meaning to strangle or poison people in case of a building fire, but you never know.
Houses aren't designed to burn anyway...

As a general caution I would say use respatory protection whenever you are in doubt or even always when working with something that might cause fumes.
I can't say for sure since i don't use hot wire cutters myself, but there is a possibility that there won't come any fumes at all due to the low temperature of the hot wire (compared to a live fire...), just use some protection anyway.

And don't be stupid and think that a dustmask will help anything at all...

·
907 Posts
to be on the safe side do whatever cutting you are doing outside or in a well ventilated room preferebly one with a extractor of some shape or description, most houses only have these in the bathroom and the kitchen, so either way your parents will love you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts