Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I had an idea recently to build a Planetary Governor almost from scratch to serve as my HQ Senior Officer. I have posted my first sketch below so that you can get an idea. I want to base the hover platform on a Skyray turret base and the model on some cadian limbs and head. I want some thoughts from people on where to find some seated legs and any other techy bits that you think will be cool.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

In background terms this guy will use the IG Senior Officer rules and counts as carrying a Storm Bolter, the platform has no special rules and is just to look cool. It is Tau based as the idea is that his planet is close the Tau Empire and fater watching their recent expansion he has determined that independence with some Tau help is the way for his planet to go...

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Forgeworld makes seated characters for their titans. The commander guy (forget the proper term) would work nicely, I think. Can you bits order those?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look

I took a look and I have to agree that the Princeps from a warhound Titan would be ideal. Unfortunately you can't purchase him separately and I am not sure that £280 for a seated guardsman is good value for money.

If only they could be persuaded... Has anyone ever got a single part out of Forge World?

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Not me and to tell you the truth never heard of such a thing... The body is ok since you can use any part available from the IG range... as for the legs some cutting and a lot of GS and inprovising... :?

Apart from that he looks very nice on sketch but fluff wise the =I= wouldn't look so good the Tau allegiance...;)

On the other hand your avatar picture is awesome! Can you send me some info on these guys? ;?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
er

er, what would you like to know?

I can put some WIP photos up a little later on if you want of my Space Marine army. I had never seen anyone do marines in Dark Flesh before so I thought I would get there first and I created the penitent brethren...

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I continue the off-topic and say I like the color very much. The Dark Flesh with the Bleached Bone in contrast is very nice... But I want to know the name, the fluff... It is a very nice try and post a link to the thread you will be making... 8X

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
For seated legs you could cut out the ones from the Sentinel pilot and green stuff any gaps leftover.
Or, if your governor is the type with capes, robes, etc. you could order Inquisitor Karamazov's legs (the guy who sits on the WH Throne of Judgement)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are a genius

qsd, you are a genius!

I would never even have thought of mr K. I think now is the time for me to email GW mailorder...

The chair is the next hurdle...

·
Registered
903 Posts
For the base of the chair you should look around in flower shops. Different sized flower pot bases often pull off a very Tau appearance. I don't know if you'll find one that will look sloped like you want, but with some plastic card and some conversion work, you could get it to be pretty close. ;Y

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not a bad idea

Thank for that, that's not a bad idea. I didn't follow at first but then I googled a couple of places and there are some pretty awesome pots out there.

I think I need to go away and post some of the reference images for some of the parts I may use in this thing...

·
Registered
739 Posts
i just wonted to say i like the idea

ps sorry i didn’t add anything to this thread except moral support Mmmmmmmmm moral support

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some progress

Ok, the site has been cleared and work has started. The first thing that I needed to get me going was the right tools. I alredy had a bunch laying around at home but there was one more thing that I needed.

That's right it's Games Workshop's very own modelling saw. I am pleased to say that it works. But who cares about that eh? surely you want to see the progress that I have made on the model itself.

I am starting off with the base of a Skyray turret, the old Mk2 Predator turret base and a few other bits which include the missile pod from the whirlwind missile launcher off of a Space Marine Landspeeder, a 25mm round base and part of a gun drone. Fluff wise the planetary governor is in alliance with the Tau and my IG are hopefully going to be Xeno-Fighters with experience against the Orks. We will see how that works out though...

Here's the bits.

First of all I neated up the parts removing all flash and mold lines. Then with a bit of adjustment and trimming I fitted the Mk2 Predator turret to the bottom of the Skyray turret. Like this.

I then realised that this made an excellent space for an engine outlet so I trimmed the lip away to match the aperture on the predator turret. This made a rectangular opening when the two are put together. Rooting through my bits box I found a part that fitted and now it looks like this.

That brings my first installment to a close. This is what happens when you reach adulthood. Everything you want to do happens slowy because of all of the things that you need to do or must do first. I should repeat that what you are looking at is the underside of the hover platform, not the top. The next and more dificult step is going to be piecing together the throne and finding the parts I will need to build the Gov' himself.

Comments are not only welcome, they tend to attract rep too...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looking very nice so far, I like the idea a lot. Can't wait to see it done. Have you decided on a chair bit for the dias yet?

Also, any more comments on how well the saw works? Is it really a major improvement on simple hobby knives?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some more progress

OK,

My next effort was to try and make some progress in working out how I was going to build the throne, the dais and the Governor himself. I wanted to try and get started on this so I rummaged through my bits and this is where I got to with the stuff that I had on hand.

First of all, I cut a Piranha in half. It was great fun as I have never sacrificed a model to make another one before, here it is.

Using a couple of parts from a piranha and some good old Cadian sprues I was then able to knock up the model below. You can see from the image that I have hollowed out the Piranha shell. This involved carefully sawing, cutting and filing the material out to leave a concave shape that would serve as a suitably imposing wraparound chair.

This is the view from the front,

and this is from the rear, I particularly like the way the engine exhausts are shaping up.

This was a good bit of progress. While I was at it I found some other bits and this led me to think about changing the bottom of the hover platform. This is the alternative version that I came up with. I would love to hear about which of the two you prefer...

From above, like a plan view

and from a slight angle, nothing is glued yet so it is a little skewed due to the effects of gravity and slippy surfaces...

Ok, it is far too late for me to be doing this so I am going to call it a day for now. But please watch this space. If any of you have suggestions I am of course all ears, I am pleased that this model is coming along though as it has now got a definite shape to it rather than just being an idea and a sketch.

Watch this space!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fluff wise the planetary governor is in alliance with the Tau and my IG are hopefully going to be Xeno-Fighters with experience against the Orks. We will see how that works out though...
I like the fluff! Have you read any of the Ciaphas Cain novels? I believe that the first book, For the Emperor, has a story similar to your Planetary Governor's position. An Imperial planet on the edge of the Damalces Gulf had been trading and living among the Tau for quite some time. Some even go so far as to paint their skin blue and cut thier hair into topknots similarly to the ones the xenos wear. Maybe your Imperial citzens could be similar in nature? Would make for some lovely conversions/painting! You should also check out the Gue'vesa article on mixing the Cadian and Firewarrior plastics to making Human Auxilliaries. Kitbashing Tau and Imperial tech could prove quite fun. Basilisks mounting Railguns, Leman Russes mounting a single shot version Ion Cannon, Sergeants/Officers carrying Plasma Rifles/Carbines, Heavy Bolters swapped out for Burst cannons and suchlike. Sounds like good fun!

I then realised that this made an excellent space for an engine outlet so I trimmed the lip away to match the aperture on the predator turret. This made a rectangular opening when the two are put together. Rooting through my bits box I found a part that fitted and now it looks like this.
Good eye! I believe that the addition of the single piece made the model (or at least the underside of it). Very well done! I can't wait to see what you're going to come up with for the top portion! Also, conceptual sketch before commiting to project = WIN!

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heheh

I guess I must have been uploading the pics at the same time that you made your comment. Take a look to see where I am up to ith the upper part of the governor.

I will be replacing the legs wth human ones so have no fear if you have looked at this thread and don't think humans should have hooves...

·
596 Posts
I love the new under side shape. The combination of those parts work really well.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm

Hmm,

Since it appears that a fair number of you are waiting for the next installment I thought I would let you know that I will be working on this particular project a little bit this evening so there should be some more photos up in about 7 or 8 hours at the most. Maybe a few more a few hours after that depending on how well the leg swapping work goes.

I then need to start on the detailing, which means breaking out the greenstuff...

Suggestions are still welcome, I am finding it tough to get hold of a small storm bolter, which I would like to do and if anyone can suggest ways to build a robotic arm to hold the storm bolter I am open. I have a few ideas but there is always room for more in this little head of mine...

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Seeing it on the sketch and then making a comparison to what you have made it is very nice... Now the GS... Let me see and then comment on it! 8Y

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like the idea. And the progress so far looks great :)

What're you going to use him as? An objective markerr?

- Loran

1 - 20 of 32 Posts