Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or Razorbacks, or Land Raiders. Is there any reason, aside from the rules, why either of these vehicles couldn't have turret or sponson mounted plasma cannons?

Leman Russ Demolishers can have plasma cannon sponsons, Leman Russ executioners have turrets, Dreadnoughts have Plasma Cannons...so, is there any fluffy reason why marine vehicles don't?

I have a converted Plasma Cannon turret to fit a predator which looks fairly neat, IMO, and wondered if it goes against the grain in anyway?

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se. In fact, I think it'd be a great idea to field such things in games of Apocalypse. Write up some Datasheets for those variant vehicles and you'll be in a good spot. :)

Katie D

·
436 Posts
I have designed an Absolution Pattern Predator (For my Dark Angels) that has a Twin-Linked Plasma Cannon Turret

Looks pretty sweet to me And now, with apocalypse, I get to field the bad boy, istead of using it as an objective in a mechanicum raid mission (or a generic piece of terrain)

Very Respectfully,
--The Forsaken

·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers chaps and chappesses :)
I'd only use it in friendly games, the bunch I play with are pretty lax about conversions and even wysiwyg to a point (e.g one person uses a bunch of necromunda models for his genestealer cult guard, even though they are all armed with different weapons - as long as everyone knows what is what, everyone's cool)

As for points, I was thinking of standard TLLC cost - a TLLC is a better weapon than a standard plasma cannon IMO so I thought that would be fair.
So a Plasma Cannon Razor would cost the same as a TLLC Razor, a PC predator the same as a predator annihilator and I suppose if I wanted to do one for a land raider then two plasma sponsons would work out the same as two TLLC sponsons.
Also, by doing it that way, I can just swap the turret fot a TLLC without changing my army list.

My main problem wasn't if I would be allowed to, given the folk I play with, but I was itching more towards WHY space marines don't have (many) vehicle mounted plasma weapons. I don't want to go too unfluffy and I'm not playing Dark Angels - so, what reasons would there be for a Crimson Fists army to have a Plasma Cannon predator? etc etc

·
Registered
50 Posts
You wondered about restrictions fluffwise... I think it probably has to do with space. Leman Russ tanks and Dreadnoughts don't have any crew space save for what is absolutely necessary, whereas Razorbacks and Land Raiders have compartments for troop transport. The power and cooling systems needed for a plasma cannon would take up so much space that troop transport would be impossible.

In game terms, though, I think it would be sweet. Could you post a pic of that predator forsaken? I've never heard anything like it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The reason why you don't see variations on the Predator, Rhino, etc. is because they are STCs (Standard Template Constructs). In the 40K universe, STCs are like a bible to the AM - what they say is gospel and not to be altered in any way.

This is why the Predator continues to employ an autocannon long after the rest of the Space Marine forces had discarded it.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Not to mention the relative rarity of plasma weapons in the Imperium. Yes, the Codex books allow you to take one in almost every squad, but in the fluff plasma weapons are rare, temperamental and sought-after weapons. It makes sense that you wouldn't see them too often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.