Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first LRC this weekend and when it came time to put the sponsons together I knew that I wanted to magnetize them for transport purposes. Knowing that the pewter sponsons were far too heavy for my small magnets and that I wasn't really happy with the fit of the pewter anyway I decided to give a plastic set a go.

I used the post that the lascannons were intended for and twelve spare marine bolters that I had lying about.

Try to ignore the sloppy paint job as I am far from finished and just wanted to see what everyone thought of my plastic hurricane bolters.

Feel free to comment, thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my bolters have 360 degree rotation as opposed to the 90 degree of the original pewters. Does anyone know if the hurricane is suppose to have full side arc of fire as the lascannon would? Or is it designed to have only 90 degree on purpose?

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
EDIT: I forgot to mention, my bolters have 360 degree rotation as opposed to the 90 degree of the original pewters. Does anyone know if the hurricane is suppose to have full side arc of fire as the lascannon would? Or is it designed to have only 90 degree on purpose?
Hello John, I'm not sure about this. My gut reaction is telling me that all sponsons have the same technical arc, but I'll bet you one of our rules lawyers will be one shortly to clear things up. If push comes to shove, you can always post this in the rules forum.

The conversion itself looks sharp and very well aligned. The proportions are also a good match. Actually, I could easily see a marine who has lost his bolter, come running back to the land raider to borrow one of the sponsons :D. But enough, it's a very fine conversion.

One suggestion: You might want to consider boring out the barrels on all your guns, as well as shaving off the little plastic mold line from the front of each weapon.

Great work. Rep awarded.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Rules wise I'd be more concerned about the fact that range is measured from the weapon than their fire arc. Is it too late to put the sponsons on the forward position?

Conversion itself is nice work! Definitely follow Rabbit's advice and drill the barrels. I used to be lazy and not do it either, and was shocked how much better it made my models look when I started.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yup, I will definitely work more on the bolter barrels. I was very proud and excited the moment everything was glued in place that I slapped the boltgun on quickly and snapped the photos.

As far as the position of the sponsons is concerned, I prefer them on the back. I know that it makes more sense from a gaming standpoint that being further forward gives them more range. And from a realistic standpoint having them on the front prevent the occupants from being shredded to bits when they attempt to exit the side hatch. However I really like the way the look on the back as opposed to the front and with GW modeling the sponsons of all of their recent LRCs on the back I figured that is where I would place them as well. They are magnetized though, so if I choose to move them forward in the future, yes, I can do so.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
I agree with Walex, those spaces need filling up a bit I think.

What I would suggest is to glue these bits where the pistol grip would go: SM Vehicle Heavy Bolter Bits Just cut off the ammo link and there ya go! Or you could try making them from scratch.

I think that it's an awesome idea and conversion, plus I like the flat, solid neatness of the blue/grey(shadow grey?)

Well done! :happy:

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...I like the flat, solid neatness of the blue/grey(shadow grey?)
Thanks. I seem to be one of a rare breed that has painted my Space Wolves according to codex rather than the pre-heresy lighter greys you see so often. Good eye, it is in fact Shadow Grey.

The more I look at it (and especially now that you have pointed it out) I am beginning to agree that I need to fill in that space where the hand grips once were. I think Blackadder's suggestion is the ideal solution, but not wanting to purchase $20-$40 worth of bits I think I'll see what I can do with the pewter ammo feeds that came with the original hurricanes.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
...but not wanting to purchase $20-$40 worth of bits I think I'll see what I can do with the pewter ammo feeds that came with the original hurricanes.
I have an idea...

What if you get a rectangular length of plasticard that is of appropriate diameter and width, cut it to the length of whatever size ammo box you want and score lines down it with a knife?

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say, lol. I'm not the best at getting ideas from the brain to the word keys...

:happy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.