Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been tweaking my balanced IG force and I've come into some trouble with deciding between:

170 10 veteran squad + 3x plasma gun + chimera /w ml + flamer

or

180 Platoon
platoon command squad + autocannon + 2x grenade launchers
10 guard + grenade launcher + autocannon
10 guard + grenade launcher + autocannon

I don't want to start posting army lists because this isn't the section for that, but generally speaking, which of the 2 options above would be be most beneficial for a variety of scenarios? (The choice from above would be in addition to 2-3 veteran squads in chims)

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We kinda have to to see the list to make a proper judgement but then it would belong in the army list section ;)

Although from what you have said in your post, I would add the platoon because you really need to have a mixture of the both of them in a competitive list nowadays... though only if its for a super competitive environment, I find it more fun to play full mech, deploying a full army of veteran troopers. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Vets vs. platoons have their different advantages. The main advantage to a platoon is it gives you a lot of units for low cost and one FOC slot. You also benefit from the Platoon Command Squad and the optional squads as well. A special weapons squad with 2 flamers and a demo charge make a great throw away suicide squad. I like putting them in Vendettas. I personally don't like putting heavy weapons in my infantry squads, it makes them way too static. I prefer to spend the extra points to put them in a dedicated heavy weapons squad so they benefit from orders.

Veterans are best if you are making a mechanized army. The biggest reason to take veterans is for the 3 special weapons a veteran team can carry. Generally meltas are the favorite. The BS of 4 plus the 5 fire ports of a chimera makes for one of the most powerful and cost efficient mechanized infantry units in the game.

In short, if you need more mobility in your army, take the vet + chimera combo. If you need more static firepower or throwaway scoring units, take a platoon. Another option is to forgo the veteran squad and put the PCS in the chimera instead.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Platoons are also fun if you want to spam Chimeras. A minimum str paltoon can let you field 3x Chimera in one FOC. This can be useful in higher point games.

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
Both units are fine depending on what you want them for. One is for advancing and maneuver, the other is a blob you sit on your home objective or use as screen (though I'd drop the GLs and take a commie).

Theoretically, for some vague concept of balance, you'd take the platoon if you already have 3 vets in Chims

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I'm a rather big fan of mechanised platoons--fielding chimeras and guardsmen en masse. Usually I go for either infantry blobs with a couple mechanised chaps, typically platoon command squads with a heavy flamer and 3 normal flamers, or completely mechanised. I rarely tack on footslogging chaps to a mobile army, but everyone else seems to think that it's good for balance so don't take my word for it.

I also usually refrain from sticking a commissar on a blob with less than thirty chaps, but if that's your only blob in the army then you might consider it. Also, unless you plan for the platoon to sit in one place for most of the game, I'd recommend taking off the autocanons and fitting them into a static heavy weapons team if you have the points free. That being said, a squad of guardsmen with a heavy weapon inside a chimera can make for a nasty little bunker but it's best to keep the big guns off anyone who needs to do a lot of trekking.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Why would you take autocannons off the infantry squads? A Single Eldar shruiken cannon could wipe out your heavy weapons squad without breaking a sweat (3 shots, causing instant death with no armour save)

Put them in a platoon, and you've got ablative wounds. Whats more, it's a cheap upgrade, as opposed to purchasing a full heavy weapons team.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you want long ranged shooting the HWS gives much better bang for the buck (twice the number of heavy guns for the points cost). Also you can cast the valuable CCS orders onto 3 heavy guns rather than just one for taking down vehicles. If you're worried about long ranged shooting you can go to ground then use "Get back in the fight!" to give the squad 3+ cover saves. The infantry are more mobile without the heavy weapon too, they can actually move and shoot which makes a big difference.

I have 3 HWS in my 1500 foot list, which supports the infantry squads as they move around. I much prefer that method to having a static gunline.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
A platoon shouldn't need to move until the last turn or two. It's for objective sitting, not grabbing, that's what the Vets are for.

To get a HWS, you need to take a platoon anyway. You're not saving any points.

And again: Instant death on S6. Hell, the Eldar Nightspinner can do that.

I despise HWS with a passion for this exact reason. I'd rather take another platoon and give the two ISs another heavy weapon then purchase a HWS. If a HWS is the only way to put a lascannon in your list, so be it, but for autocannons? Sorry, better served in a platoon. More reliable, more likely to survive, more versatile.

Plus, you can give them grenade launchers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
In my foot list the squads do need to move... For mech it's debatable, I think a HWS to guard the home objective brings 3 scoring autocannons to the plate. It's not bad for 75pts. They die easily to certain weapons but they kill things quickly too. The next cheapest way to get 3 autocannons is to bring 3 scout sentinels and that's 120 pts. I think they're good value but I wish they had Eternal Warrior. It would make SO much sense!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
In my foot list the squads do need to move... For mech it's debatable, I think a HWS to guard the home objective brings 3 scoring autocannons to the plate. It's not bad for 75pts. They die easily to certain weapons but they kill things quickly too. The next cheapest way to get 3 autocannons is to bring 3 scout sentinels and that's 120 pts. I think they're good value but I wish they had Eternal Warrior. It would make SO much sense!
I agree that eternal warrior would make them more viable, but I can hear the marine players howling over that change hehe.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I'm a big fan of fully mechanized platoons. In 1850, I field six line squads with an autocannon or a missile launcher each, plus a flamer, all in chimeras, plus a pair of PCSs with meltas, also in chimeras. That gives me eight scoring chimeras for two FOCs and not that many points, since it leaves me enough points for a mechanized CCS, three proper tanks, and two hellhounds. Chimelta vets are just too much of a glass hammer for me. Once you pop open the can, for all their BS4 and special weapons, they're still T3 models cowering in 4+ cover. They die just as easilly as conscripts at that point...

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Korona said:
I think [HWS] are good value but I wish they had Eternal Warrior. It would make SO much sense!
Forget Eternal Warrior, just give them Ld 9. I know I'd be a braver soldier, sitting in a sandbagged position with a big gun instead of doing those bayonet charges against hordes of Genestealers.

·
2,399 Posts
If you want long ranged shooting the HWS gives much better bang for the buck (twice the number of heavy guns for the points cost). Also you can cast the valuable CCS orders onto 3 heavy guns rather than just one for taking down vehicles. If you're worried about long ranged shooting you can go to ground then use "Get back in the fight!" to give the squad 3+ cover saves. The infantry are more mobile without the heavy weapon too, they can actually move and shoot which makes a big difference.
I personally look at HWS with disgust - 3x S6 shots and they're dead. 1x casualty is a morale test.
and their price is ridiculously high
don't consider giving them orders, they can't have a vox.
Take it down or get back in the fight? On LD7? nah, scrap it.
I would go for - as you have to buy squads to get the HWS anyway combining bare squads with 1x vox and as many HW's as possible. You get ablative wounds, a lot more anti infantry shooting (squad too close for comfort? 1st rank 2nd rank fire to shoo them away- a 3x man autocannon team can't do that)

or, if not playing KP's you can split them up as seperate targets / objective grabbers if you think you'll need it..

Having said all that, I would never equip my PCS with a heavy weapon - they're fragil as it is, and i love giving the officer a fist (close enough for 1st rank 2nd rank? close enough for him to run forward and whop, or counter charge your tar pit's opponent)

So, I would pick vets on foot over a platoon on foot if FOC slots isn't a issue.
PCS and 2x infantry platoons? it's mid way between 100-200 points. pretty much the same as 2x vets. with BS4. and the same cost for HW's. That you can put Power fists in for peanuts.

However, as per the original Q i'd do the chimera vet squad to overwhelm the opponents anti tank guns.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've run Heavy weapon squads before, and I've liked them. Generally, they survive pretty well, since I always place them in cover near an objective. They are fragile, but they're usually low on my enemy's priority list, he's much too busy shooting all my tanks, chimeras, and vendettas to worry about those troopers in sandbags. Combine them with those powerful CCS orders, and they can do some damage. I usually don't like putting heavy weapons in my infantry squads for that reason, in order to get the same amount of firepower, I'd have to blob up 3 squads, which is unwieldy and expensive simply for a bunch of ablative wounds to sit on an objective. I'd rather have those squads running towards objectives on the heels of my chimeras, that's one more scoring unit my opponent has to waste his firepower on if he doesn't want to give up an objective. Putting 30 men on a single objective is just a waste, pure and simple.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i do agree with nitrokitty on most of what has been said. But i do like having a combination, my larger forces tend to contain two platoons with 3 squads in each, and 3 HWS shared between them. recently i joined two normal squads (both with meltaguns) in chimeras to the platoons, just to see how they work, they do rather well as people try to combat the tanks as well as the massed infantry- though i am in 2.5k going to make those two squads vets as the extra firepower is handy plus their mobility is useful.

some folks must not disregard platoons as they are undoubtedly good for holding objectives, and the odd heroics. one of mine once charged across the battlefiled and mowed down a squad of CSM much to my opponent's annoyance as it was the only squad left. HWS are a different matter they are a 'either you love them or hate them' unit i don't mind them, ok they do die eventually but most battles most people have ignored them. they are too concerned with the tanks etc to be bothered a small squad this has resulted in me using orders on them to kill off daemon prices and tanks alike

overall as usual it boils down to your personal preference, i like combinations as they give you a variety of tactics to use. Finally it is the imperial guard after all they seem to adapt to what they are facing with what hey have available.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your looking for something to hold an objective not much goes past 2 platoon squads with a commisar, all tho i like running a vet squad with 3 plasma guns a lascannon a vox and foward sentries , they take alot of heat because they can spit death on anything.
The trick is to have them go to ground when fired upon for a 2+ terminator cover save , then use get back in the fight to have them spit death again next turn.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i am working on my guard force at the minute and am going for vetrans over platoons because i took a long hard look at the options for platoons gave myself a headach and decided that a vetran squad is simply and easy. will be be running three of them in chimeras with 2 scouts and valkyrie not sure yet what to go with them but early days...
still got my space wolves and dwarves to paint..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts