Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much sums up my request. Basically my brothers and i have decided to start playing Warhammer. We have been playing 40k since 3rd and thought we could use a change of pace.

Or first impressions where that a lot more attention need to be payed to deployment, and the game moves a bit slower. But it was fun.

On to the questions.
1. If my block of marauders is charged by a block of knights. Four marauders are killed in a five strong front rank. Do I only get to attack back with the one or does a second rank model "step up"

2. What is a good way to measure wheeling. We understand the concecept just having a hard time measuring it out. And we watn to be presice since there is a lot of emphasis on movement.

3. When a single character issues a challenge to a character in a block, loses but does not die, what happens when he fails his moral check/ld test. Does he run a way or die and if he runs away what pursuit options are there if the block is engaged with something else.

I have more questions just cant remember them all at the moment. Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The slowness of the game will probably go away as time goes on and there is less time spent looking up rules. I haven't played 40k but if I started playing it would probably seem slow to me because I would be looking up alot of rules all the time.

1. If my block of marauders is charged by a block of knights. Four marauders are killed in a five strong front rank. Do I only get to attack back with the one or does a second rank model "step up"
The models technically move up from the back ranks at the end of the combat. In your situation, only one marauder can attack back. The exception to this rule is characters and unit champtions. You must specifically direct attacks at characters and unit champions, if they are alive when it is their turn to attack back, they will do so. If your opponent does enough wounds to wipe out the entire front rank, and you have a unit champion who was not specificaly targeted and killed, he can still attack back.

2. What is a good way to measure wheeling. We understand the concecept just having a hard time measuring it out. And we watn to be presice since there is a lot of emphasis on movement.
First trick is movement trays, that make it much easier, you can hold one corner to make sure it is not moving and use it as a pivot point. With or without movement trays, it can be a good idea to set a pencil or some other straight thing right infront of the unit and then basically wheel the pencil to where you want and then shift the models up to the pencil line.

3. When a single character issues a challenge to a character in a block, loses but does not die, what happens when he fails his moral check/ld test. Does he run a way or die and if he runs away what pursuit options are there if the block is engaged with something else.
If the character is in a unit and his unit fails the break test, he flees with the unit. If he is alone and fails the break test, he flees on his own. If the opponent is still engaged in combat, they cannot do anything but remain in combat, and the character flees from combat without being persued.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
The title pretty much sums up my request. Basically my brothers and i have decided to start playing Warhammer. We have been playing 40k since 3rd and thought we could use a change of pace.

Or first impressions where that a lot more attention need to be payed to deployment, and the game moves a bit slower. But it was fun.

On to the questions.
Just 1 guy. Remember, if you have a champion and he does 5 wounds but didn't allocate any of his attacks at the champion, even though he killed 5 models, your champion still attacks.

I usually just bend a ruler. GF9 also has line of sight archs that can measure wheels too. Not very accurate since the pivot point isn't correct. I'd say just bend a ruler to your best ability.

If you have multiple units engaged, make sure to tally up all combat res from all units. If you still lose combat and your lone character fails to hold, he will run away. If you have another unit that held, then he gets away freely, as they can't pursue you. If both your units break, your opponent chooses who to pursue and the other unit gets away.

I have more questions just cant remember them all at the moment. Thanks in advance for all the help.
#3 was confusing a little, hopefully I explains it enough.

EDIT*
Apparently someone types faster than me and likes green.

·
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much. Ok well it looks like we played correctly in those cases, and sorry the third question was a bit confusing. I still can't remember the other instances where we had questions.

Also about wheeling. Would cutting string to different premeasured lenghts help at all? Or would that not work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can't really see how strings would work that effectivly, its usually easy enough to measure the distance the rotating corner moves. It is usally easy enough to use a ruler/measuringstick/tape measure for this. Just set the stick beside the moving corner, hold the immobile corner and rotate the moving corner. It may be easyist to do a series of individual 1" wheels until you get where you want to be facing.

·
4,361 Posts
You can also buy templates or make your own for wheeling. I know gale force 9 made some for this purpose.

SirKently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts