Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I might ask a silly question. Have any of you met players who are really similar to the races that they play? I just think it is a funny thing to talk about. The similarities can be anything, from personality to even appearances!

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
I'm Chaos through and through.

If I tell someone which army I play after getting to know them, they generally aren't surprised at all.

I'm a big believer in the whole 'not suffering but enjoying insanity' type thing.

I remember at the club I used to play at the Dark Eldar players were always really bitter and seemingly hostile. It was great. Although that might be to do with the fact that they were cutting themselves on their own models or that their codex was released a few months after the Magna Carta.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Kardoodle, I thought your funk Necrons represented you better than your Chaos... hmm...

I think that to a degree, a person's choice in army definitely reflects a certain aspect of their personality. I play Raven Guard Space Marines, who are all about guerrilla warfare and tactical strikes; they are a scalpel whereas a chapter like Space Wolves are a hammer. Two aspects of the Raven Guard that really do ring true with my character would be their tactical thinking; I am very much a thinker in all things, to the point where I have to be extremely aware of everything going on around me so I can make the most informed decisions for myself. The second aspect would be that of their Primarch, which extends somewhat to the chapter; the sort of self-sadness that hit Corax after the Heresy that the chapter continues to fight on through really rings true with a lot of my life.

I don't think most of the Tyranids players I know like to devour worlds, though. 'Cept Karmoon and the Little Big World?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
301 Posts
*stops chewing on a persons arm*
not anything like my nids at all!
nope definatly not!

I must admit that the only aspects of nids that I share are meat eating and a general liking for bugs (though not spiders -- too many legs and eyes!). Beyond that I don't really know how much I connect with nids - nor how much I connect with Canon nids and my own view of them.

Interestingly though my (still to be mostly built) fantasy army represents me more - Wood elves show my liking of nature, woodlands and wildlife and a general view to wanting to protect those things.

I guess one problem is that once one starts to expand descriptions of a race originaly designed by man is that elements of man are going to be a part of that race, no matter how hard we try to be "alien". There are still common elements that someone will connect to.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Hmm.. Necrons. Metallic skeleton, check! Complete lack of emotion, check! Yep, im a Cron through and through...

I wish :p ''Life'' would be so easy lol.

Beasts of Chaos however... Hairy, check! Easily angered, check! :p

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't say that the guys in my gaming group are like the races they play but more like the generals of their armies. This makes for interesting games because the two generals then face off as if it were the real people there on the field commanding their troops. We don't fight outside of the tabletop but it's just an interesting clash of characteristics when our two forces march against each other.

The pickup games I play at the local GW are ridiculous however. I have had to bring Tylenol to a few games against ork players because they just get really loud and obnoxious. Does "WAAAAA!!!" ring any bells? The chaos guys are, for the most part, cold hearted SOBs who will do anything to win. The space marines act superior and are typically kids or really huge guys. I love playing the IG guys though because they are just amusing. One guy actually brings a big fat cigar just for luck and recites litanies to the emperor while waiting for his turn to do stuff.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It was pointed out to me once, that when I play my Chaos I usually wear a heavy metal t-shirt(Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, etc.), but when I play my Tau I'm wearing a Transformers or videogame related shirt.

Go figure...

·
Will eat your soul.
567 Posts
Haha, good question, i've seen a few chubby kids who play ogres, and lots of eldar players are tall and lankey individuals, ( I dont mean these as insults in any way):soldier:. I play marines and am nothing like them, ( seriously, i got into a fight with a pebble and the pebble won.)
One extremely prominent thing I have noticed is the Tau players are mainly asian(once again i'm not insulting anyone) , I mean I think it has to do with the anime likeness of the tau technology like battlesuits. They remind me of Gundam Wing. Tau players are generally very nice, tolerant people, like the Tau themselves ( except the Tau kill you if they dont like you).

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
have seen this wit my friends, "Stumpy" and "Stumpy's stumpy friend" (I can't remember if he ACTUALLY had a name or not, but this was at school, so nicknames are your official name for life) both collected Dwarfs, after being known as Stumpy. The high elf player was tall, grew long hair and was a haughty, up himself twit by the time he left school, the skaven guy grew worrying facial hair, and was a bit "waac". I, however, was an unpredictable rogue. This meant 2 things.

1- my army chopped and changed as quickly as model at the Paris fashion show
2- I settled on orcs.

I now have a green hat which I wear whenever da ladz get an outin', and some speshul green dice.

I also favour the oft maligned, being a mediocre sportsman at EVERYTHING, just missing the cut on football, cricket and rugby teams constantly, which is probably why when I was chopping and changing I went for the unfashionable armies (WE, LM (before "recent" army books), CDwarves, and now my DEldar.

My girlfriend now has a CSM army, leaning towards Khorne. She kinda has rage issues. I should be careful. Very careful. *Ducks meat cleaver as GF reads post over shoulder*

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to agree with this idea... But now, this would make me schizo!
I've played most 40k armies, and quite a few fantasy ones.
There are aspects of each army that resonate with people, I think, and I'm pretty sure that different armies mean different things to different people. I think the composition of people's armies reflect their personality more so than just the race.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
I embody all the noblest traditions of the Imperial Fists:

I'm infuriatingly humble despite extraordinary ability that some consider to be arrogance of the highest order,

I seek no glory in my accomplishments, as my accomplishments are glorious unto themselves,

I never apologize for being right,

I never do anything without extensive planning,

once I set myself on a path I see it through to the end come hell or high water,

I find strength in pain which is why I'm a distance runner,

and because of all this pretentious crap, I secretly hate myself which goes back to the whole pain-thing. :p

They are truly, an army I feel at home with when playing.

·
Thrillseeker
548 Posts
errhm , well..

i dunno really the humanoid armies i think attract individuals of the same frame of mind..

but tyranids, can't really relate to it, the hive mind maybe, but.. that probably looks like the brainbug in starship troopers 3... (eeew)

one gaming buddy is into dark angels and space wolves..
hmmm keeping a dark secret... about... wanting to get close?

(maybe thats why he sat so close to me the last game.. *joking*)

The other is into tyranids and orks..
hmm, collecting bugs and likes angry mushrooms?
beats me.

Now for myself then..

I enjoy the finer things in life..
And LOTS of it, almost until i can stand no more..
but then i always find something new to enjoy to its fullest capacity..
usually it's multiple things at once.
after a while i get back to the previous stuff for another go.

I'm often overly perfectionistic when the result is important to me.
(sometimes to my detriment)

Life and the mysteries of the flesh ... well i'll leave that one out.

I'm a slaaneshi chaos player.. just incase you hadnt guessed..
(gonna start Dark eldar when they get eyepleasing models)

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
prior military and all that, drove and maintained tracked assault vehicles for the first 2/3rds and worked in an armory after my deployment...

i play Imperial Guard, 'nuff said.

though currently, i'm thinking about start an Iron Hands chapter just since SM get much better Gearhead choices to appease that side of me.
(ie master of the forge, up to 6 dreadnoughts per army with 3 different types and loads of weapon options, larger variety of tanks, the thunderfire cannon and converter beam, and cyber-enhancements on all their troopers).

though i'm in a sort of phase right now where i want to do a small 'Twisted Metal' force for each army though (500pts of 1HQ and 2-4 walkers/MCs)

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
Lost said:
Kardoodle, I thought your funk Necrons represented you better than your Chaos... hmm...
You cheeky monkey! :p
And yeah, the Discotrons are also a 'side' of me I guess.

What about you? There must be a race who can't decide what the hell they want to do and procrastinate instead :p

Now that I think about this topic, though, I can understand that this has been one of the biggest factors holding me back from starting fantasy.

There's not really a race I can fully empathise with.

*rubs beard*

I like this topic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm.

Well.

I am stocky, powerfully built, hairy, grumpy and starting to run a little to fat around the middle. I like real ale, I am known to bear grudges and my recent ancestry were all miners.

I play elves.

·
2,076 Posts
Hmm, I play lots of armies. does that make me crazy?

I like tough Elite troops who can weather blows and come out on top, I also thank the Emperor for passed armour saves. Space Marines

I like to throw waves of cannon fodder at the enemies while the real threats close in unmolested (while rolling 90 dice a turn) I like to laugh as my bugs squads are reduced to ash and the enemy thinks he is winning before the real monsters strike! Nids
I like to out shoot and outmaneuver my enemy while keeping my troops alive. Tau

·
646 Posts
This is an interesting question, I think it's a bit of both. I'm a big fan of Imperial Fists and Imperial Guard. I was attracted to Guard because I've always been a fan of the basic footslogger over amazing, charismatic super-dudes, and I prefer the organised consistent approach to a Guard army.
I like Fists for similar reasons, I'm attracted to their stoic and stubbourn nature (though I should point out that I never collected Fists because I thought they would take too similar approach to my guard. I collected Templars instead so I could have a bit more of a change of strategy while still keeping it in the geneseed, though that dosen't really effect the point!).

That being said, I think asking the question causes people to look for similarities that could be drawn with a lot of armies.

Overall I think I definatley go for armies of a particular vein, though I'm not entirely sure whether that is because they are similar to me.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts