Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone (other than me) actually own a PS3? sometimes I feel like im the only one...

Although the 360 has a much better game catalogue at the moment, and the PS3 (40gb) is annoyingly not backwards compatible (for now) im convinced Sony will come good as they did with the PSOne and PS2..plus it looks nice and sleek underneath my tv, and MotorStorm is great...

so, am i alone?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm afraid to say you're on you're own from my point, I looked at buying one, looked at what it could do, looked at the game range and looked at the price tag. I then laughed at sony and upgraded my pc instead w/ new graphics card, mobo and more ram.

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
I feel like the only one owning one (when not playing online, DU'H!), but I am VERY happy I got the PS3 instead of the Xbox360, and I even got the 60GB when it was REALLY expensive. I am green with envy over Dead Rising, otherwise I have no problems with the PS3.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
While I don't have the PS3 myself, I opted for the 360 before coming to college, my brother has the 40gb version. You do know that the 40 is actually backwards compatible, but only with some PSone games, it cannot play any PS2 games. (Unlike the 80gb which can only play a select few PS2 games.)

I love my 360 for its wider array of games to choose from, but the PS3 looks better both as a system and in game. (I actually turned down the idea of getting certain games for the 360 because I want to get them for the PS3 during the summer.) Loving the PS3 controller though, the six axis part is very cool when you use it in some games, but the fact that the PS3 comes with a rechargeable wireless controller is much better than the one you are given with the 360. (Sure, you can go out and buy something for the 360 controller's to make them rechargeable, but that costs even more money to do.)

My brother also gave me his wii, but I've never been able to get into the controller for it; good thing I'm giving it back to him.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To add to the PS3, sony is apparently upgrading a version of it to be totally backwards compatable in the near future. I think the problem that sony has had in the console war was that the 360 was finished before the PS3 - forcing sony to make an early release of the console. Thus the top games for it are not finished and its status is not complete.
That said I will be after a PS3 ( FF XIII!) but I will bide my time

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does suck about the backwards compatability of the 40gb but as my PS2 is still in good nick im not too bothered- ill just buy the PS3 version of PES as thats about the only thing i play on my PS2 anyway!

I have found that you can get an adapter to use PS2 controllers in place of the 35 quid sixxaxis (minus the motion control obviously) which is pretty sweet

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
I only got myself a PS2 last year when my standalone DVD player died ;o

While I did dream of getting a PS3, it's not really something I would have given an arm and a leg for (which is what I would have to have sold to make the money for one).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got mine for free thought I had to be robbed 5 times to get it:(.
Got my 360 for Xmas.
Always be a Playstaion fan but theres just some games that your going to need that 360 for or you will miss out on a couple of greats.

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
I do miss some of the games, but I think we are about up to date from now on forward...

How come we have an Xbox tag, but no PSN tag? it's like console racism... damn microsoft (said from a windows machine)

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I was going to use my tax return to buy a ps3, but after a few things came up, it was too far out of my price bracket, and the only single reason I want it is so I'm ready for gta4, that game looks absolutely stunning and I've loved them all upto this point... but I think I'd rather just get a faster graphics card in my computer and make-do.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Proud PS3 owner here, and I'm loving every minute of it! I actually just went off and bought a shiny new 40" Bravia for it to replace my old CRT cube (which, to be fair, has served me well over the years... it's just time for something much better), so I guess I'm pretty much fully invested in it at this point.

It's looking like a great time for PS3 owners - all sorts of big names and old favorites are appearing on the horizon, and some of the new stuff cropping up looks really sweet (Assassin's Creed, Timeshift, Warhawk anyone?). Playstation Home is supposedly all but released, so hopefully the PS3 will finally be able to take on the 360 and Live for online gaming. (cebwj, this one probably addresses your XBL tag complaint.) And being able to upgrade your own Hard Drive (running a 160 GB drive, myself) is a really nice touch as your collection grows, because the drives built into the system don't seem nearly so big once you really start using the system.

I'm still seriously ticked off that Ace Combat 6 jumped ship (I love that franchise!), but that's really my only complaint at this point.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good points there Wraith, this year looks like being the one where the PS3 starts giving the Xbox xompetition on the games front- as well as the ones you mentioned (and the ubiquitous GTA4) im also looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 4,Killzone 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2- all great franchises. Plus when you think about some of the great titles on the PS2 that are coming or may very well come onto next gen such as God of War and Prince of Persia, and of course Gran Turismo then it starts to look a lot rosier. Ive been playing Oblivion on my PS3 and the faster load times compared to the 360 are a small indication of the bright future for Sonys black baby

·
351 Posts
I have a 360, a wii, and a psp. The only reason I can see having a ps3 is to play xcom for ps1 on my psp. Other than that . . .

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
Well, I guess everyone will be going PS3 soon/eventually considering HD DVD is now officially dead. Blu-Ray is the only "next-gen" DVD format still being produced. (I know, you can buy a standalone Blu-Ray player, but why would you?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, is there anythig more to say why people should go with Playstation why yes there is, Metal Gear Solid >.< PS3 FTW!

·
Registered
52 Posts
another proud PS3 owner here!

and i have to agree, that the PS3's game catalouge is getting better, with the aforementioned GTA 4 and Gran Turismo. Timeshift i found a bit dissapointing, but Turok has more than made up for it!

(btw, does anyone else think it's time for a new Warhammer/40K console game?, Fire Warrior may not have been the best, but with next-gen stuff, who knows what GW could make!)

oh and Wraith, how did you get 160GB HDD?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Seeing as PS3 is getting Unreal Tournament 3 before the 360 that'll be another real boost on top of the next gen dvd collapse of hd dvd. PS3s been in need of a real hardcore 1st person shooter since release. UT3 will definately fit the bill rather nicely.

·
Forward Kommander
1,005 Posts
I've got my PS3, which I picked up after Christmas, last year. I've had to wait a bit, but some of the games coming out now for the PS3 should make that wait worth while (Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Final Fantasy XIII, SOCOM: Confrontation to name a few). I'm also very pleased with the backward compatibility... so I can keep playing God of War :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts