5 x Initiates - 1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Gun and Rhino 151p

FAST ATTACK:

10 x Assault Marines - 1 Power Fist 235p

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Predator w. Autocannon and H. Bolter Sponsons 110p

Vindicator 125p

-----

Total: 1075p

The plan is to have the Drop Pod with the initiates and the Emp. Champ. arrives at the same time as the Reclusiarch and his assault friends hits the enemy (deep strike?), while the tanks draw fire, and the five initiates provide fire support and hold objectives. (Again: I am new at the game...)

What would you suggest I change, and what would you remove to arrive at a 1000 points?

Thanks alot!

·
419 Posts
First off, this thread should be in the Army List forum, but I'm sure it will get moved soon. I have a fair bit of Black Templar experience behind me so I'll try to help you out here with some tactics and suggestions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the chaplain only comes stock with a Crozius, Rosarius, and Crusader Seals, so you may want to consider giving him a bolt pistol(assuming your using the chaplain JP model) or something. Some of the best templar armies out there use chaplains with Adamantine Mantles to make sure he lives however, since 5th ed, and the change in Preferred Enemy, the only benefit of a chaplain(to me this is) is to get a free invul on a character. I believe to my fullest that the benefits of a Marshal far outweigh the free invul on the chaplain. Having your whole army leadership 10 is great, specially since you need to take a leadership test one 1 killed model, not 25%. I would look into this. If you were to do it, personally I think a Marshal with twin-lightning claws, Adamantine Mantle, Terminator Armour is the way to go. Dude has 7 attacks on the charge, re-rolling everything, and can't be insta-killed...just saying,look into it for the future...

Drop pods in BT armies can be iffy too. Remember that they don't use the same rules as the newer books, and will scatter onto things and mishap, let alone they don't come in first turn, so you could be potentially waiting until turn 5 for them to drop, only to have them sit there. This would be everything you DONT want to happen for the EC, he is usually a monster in combat, and can be pretty usefull in killing off characters that aren't EW. I'd drop the DP and look at a rhino or something larger like a crusader, in which case you can add in some neophytes too.

If you are going to use that Crusader Squad as a firepoint, I would consider tossing in 5 neophytes then as cannon fodder to the initiates.

Predators and Vindicators in BT armies are awesome. Smoke launchers are sweet in this book, and you can give them PotMS!!!! Classic...i would look into giving them these upgrades

Now I know that sounds like a lot of changes you could make, don't get me wrong it would probably still do good being that templar are still one of the best when it comes to combat, but you gotta make sure that happens, and drop podding the EC, and deepstriking the assault marines would probably be a wrong tactic. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you want to chat more BT's tactics.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This is mostly good advice, though I'd pass on the terminator armour for your ICs - it'll cost you the ability to perform a sweeping advance, and probably isn't worth the extra +1 save on a multiwound model.

Competative BT armies generally come in 2 varieties - mechanized and footmobile. Mechanized lists are generally heavy on tanks, 5 man squads, and razerbacks. Footmobile armies use a few extremely large Crusader squads and some dreadnoughts/speeders to provide support. Drop pods in general aren't so hot for the Templars, except for a couple specific uses (dreadnoughts, really).

Also, if you only run a single vindicator, it's not going to do much except die. For them to be effective, you'll want to run 2 of them...preferably 3, if you can at all arrange it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for all your tips; It's very nice of you!

I've made quite some changes. What do you think?

Emperor's Champion - "No Matter the..." 140

Crusader Squad 1 - 9x Initiates, 1 Power Weapon and 1 Meltagun 164
Rhino w. Smokelauncher and E. armor 58

Crusader Squad 1 - 8x Initiates, 1 Power Weapon and 1 Meltagun 148
Rhino w. Smokelauncher and E. armor 58

Crusader Squad 2 - 5x Initiates, 1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Gun 101
Razorback w. H. Bolter, Smokelauncher and E. Armor 78

Predator w. Autocannon, H. Bolter sponsons, Smokelauncher and E. Armor 118

Vindicator w. Smokelauncher and E. Armor 133

·
3,395 Posts
Drop pods in BT armies can be iffy too. Remember that they don't use the same rules as the newer books, and will scatter onto things and mishap, let alone they don't come in first turn
They don't mishap - the rules for the pod are on page 22 of the BT codex.

·
419 Posts
This is mostly good advice, though I'd pass on the terminator armour for your ICs - it'll cost you the ability to perform a sweeping advance, and probably isn't worth the extra +1 save on a multiwound model.
Understandable, Sweeping advances are good, but the real reason for the Term. Armour is not for the 2+ save but more for the invul because you can only give your character one Relic, so either an Adamantine Mantle or Iron Halo, and if you don't give him the halo, then you have no invul except for terminator armour. Also, it gives you the +1 attack for the Terminator Honours too, hence this Mashal having 7 attacks, rerolling everything. It's a small price to pay for pain....

They don't mishap - the rules for the pod are on page 22 of the BT codex.
Just reread the rules and good eye. I always forget that section on the Drop Pod continues to the next column. But the pods do still arrive via reserves, so it may still be a 5th turn drop...

·
3,395 Posts
...hence this Mashal having 7 attacks, rerolling everything.
Starts with 3, +1 claws, +1 honours, +1 charging... have I missed something?

It's a real shame you can't get armour access / terminator honours for squad sergeants (since templars don't have any squad sergeants...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts