Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking of putting a vindicator in my army but a lot of people dont think its worth the cost

·
Registered
655 Posts
It makes an excellent threat (and weapon) when used with other tanks. I've played against an Iron Warrior list with one (admittedly, IWs get better Vindicators.) It's never done very much (perhaps 6-7 marines) damage to me, however it's attracted a fair amount of fire power. In combination with other threats, it's very nice. As your sole tank, it's going to eat Lascannon/Brightlance/Railgun and die.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good against hordes, but even better against high-cost, high-save enemy units. Like terminators. The more points-per-model, the harder they are to kill, the better your vindicator performs.

Also fantastic against enemies that have to get closer, i.e., Khorne, Nids, Orks ... set it up a couple of inches beyond their charge range, behind cover, then drive out and shoot after they move closer.

Remember, even if the Vindi doesn't kill 130-150 points of models, it isn't supposed to be efficient. You take a Vindi for the shock value. A lascannon firing over six turns might kill four or five models, but it cannot kill 5-10 models, all at once, right before the enemy assaults your lines. Vindicators can do that.

My favorite Vindicator moments all involve deep-striking enemy terminators or incoming enemy bikes. When you know the enemy will come to you, Vindicators perform best.

Sabre

·
Registered
442 Posts
When you drop that template on a command squad of blood angels that are tooled up and charging your line you will understand the joy. Favourite kill of all time comes from smushing an entire 10 man terminator squad that deepstruck

Personally I love it for fighting against any CC geared army...they get close, which is exactly where I want them. Very, very few things can withstand a template shot from a vindicator and still be effective when they hit your marine line

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah the vindi is definately worth its points cost as it can potentially make back its points very easily and inflicts a big mental concussion lol so to say into your opponents head.
But as has been said before dont use it if its your only tank,not a good idea.

Cheers,
Tycho

·
Registered
400 Posts
IMO a Vindi is not worth the pts but with the proper upgrades (most important being Power of Machine Spirit) then it becomes a fearsome tank.
Of course u could just use it as the biggest fire magnet in history...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
u mean baal predator?, do you play blood angels in this case no a vindy is now way anywhere near as good as a baal but in other cases is a very capable and strong tank

·
Registered
822 Posts
and vindicators are only good of they are not the only tank.
In my 2000 point army I use a vindicator riding between/behind my predator destructor and 4 rhino's and two speeders.

In general, tanks are only good in numbers.

·
768 Posts
I play reguarly against a necron players who loves to veil his HQ with some immortals in my lines. I used ones a vindicator and now he fears why vindi.

Wondering why:)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yes.

Best unit to kill a Monolith.
Best unit to kill lots of Necron Warriors.
Only unit which can instant death nasty Chaos Lords.
Only unit which wounds a WL on a 2+

Only SM weapon which can kill a Land Raider and 250pts of Termies (inc Chaos Lord) in 1 shot.
Only anti-MEQ Ordanance.
Good against troops, vehicles and MC's.

Give it PotMS and laugh at thier expression change between stunning it and you telling them.
Get lucky with it once and it will be over-feared for life.

·
Registered
134 Posts
how would u rate a vindicator against a tau mechanized and a ig mechanized army?? And how would u rate 1 compared to a whirly wind(On the reason, how would a whirly wind go against a tau mechanzied or a ig mechanized??)

·
Registered
733 Posts
A vindicator with Power of thew Machine Spirit is just plain nasty. Drive and blast, that's got to hurt...

·
768 Posts
against mechanised armies he is useless but against any other army he causes so much fear that it is justifies the big point cost for a tank.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yep, Chimaera's and Devilfish make Whirlwinds almost completely defunct.

Vindicators aren't at thier best, its better to go for Lascannons to kill Devilfish ad Skimming with Decoy Launchers a single glance usualy doesn't greatly inconveniance them.

However if you get a hit on a Chimaera then with 2d6 take the highest S10 v's av12.... its nasty. If the IG are out of thier Transports (likely) then a Whirlwind can rock.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Against marines / chaos / necrons I'd take a vindicator any time. The AP scares the hell out of them, and one decent shot earns you back its points.

Against anything else, a whirlwind is probably better. It ignores their saves just as well, and against most armies it still only needs a 2+ to wound.

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
yeah they are worth their points. Not every unit on the board can make up their points values, and the vindicator is one of those units really designed to help other units make their points back. It makes people scared to charge you, which is always good if your against orks, or any other horrifying close combat army.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Vindicator is a bargain, especially for armies like the BT which have limited choices for fire support. It is also the only marine vehicle woth giving machine spirit to. Its range is limited, but it works great against armies that will be coming to you or if you have an assault based army yourself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts