Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alot of polystyrene insulation. 2 sheets actually. What are some good tips to make anything for 40k? Buildings, walls, etc..

Thank you!

-Nathan

·
907 Posts
ok heres some general tips for polystyrene

1 when cutting use a hot wire cutter rather than a knife PS blunts knives very quickly

2 do not use spray paint or superglue on unsealed PS unless youre looking for a melted
look and then only outdoors as the fumes this gives off are toxic.

3 before you paint it seal the PS with slightly watered down pva gives a much better
effect when you do paint it and you can then use spray paints on it.

4 when you put it together use co-cktail sticks to strengthen the join.

5 like every other scenery project draw out what you want first as this should minimise
your wastage and help with construction

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had good luck cutting foam w/a serrated cheapie steakknife.just use it like a saw.
Yes,use toothpicks to help stick the layers together,glue takes days to dry between layers.
The best use for this stuff is building hills.If the foam is thin enough(1"or so)just keep adding layers,leaving yourself the width of a mini's base each layer.
You can slope this a bit,but I just picked out some chunks and hit it w/the spraypaint to give it a rocky,terraced look.

·
301 Posts
If you seal it with PVA, any paint should work fine. Test it on a spare chunk if your worried abot melting.

As for My PS scenery, I just use water base craft spray. It eliminates the need to seal it, but it takes a bit to dry. An added benifit of that is that colors blend together quite nicely.

·
907 Posts
you can use any type of paint that you paint on with a brush, for spray ons i'd always tend to seal it first.

as for what paint.

it all does depend on the effect that your looking for.

you can get textured paint, smooth finish, water repelant, lead paint, etc

the list of paint types go on and on but it all depends on several things.

1) your availiable finances

2) your ability

3) how much time you wish to dedicate to the creation of it.

this is the same with ALL scenery some of us love to play over gorgeous swanky scenery, while others are happy with a couple of soup bowls under a green cloth. either way it is all relative as it is up to you what scenery you'd like.

one thing though if youre not sure on what to build you can always ask for ideas or help here on this board and you'll usually get a couple of ideas to help you out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Steak knives and ****tail sticks when mdeling with polystyrene, eh? Sounds like a good idea, really... and the fumes unsealed PS + spray paint gives off are toxic?! Oh my >_>

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
The spray paint is toxic in the first place, you know... (think about it - it's melting stuff!) Adding melted PS to the mix just makes it a bit more so.

Looking through your local hardware store is a good idea when working with the stuff. There's all sorts of specialized adhesives and such designed to let construction workers stick stuff to this foam without wrecking it (and vice versa).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.