Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having a dilema over my 1500 DG list. I use infiltrating plague marines, and everything in my army infiltrates or is summoned excluding my dreadnought. My question to you is this: Are possesed going to survive the long footslog, or do I need to rearrange the list to make room for them to have a rhino?

On a side note: all Death guard lords/ A.C/ Lt. can automatically summon plaguebearers, correct? I think they can, but I am unsure

·
Registered
886 Posts
Death guard squads all have the mark of Nurgle, wich means that they can take an Icon for no cost, this will allow them to summon plaguebearers. Nurgle characters will need to buy a personal Icon to summon.

On the matter of your main question I'll leave it in the hands of somebody more familiar with playing a Death Guard army, I see advantages and disadvantages either way. The lone rhino will likely not make it very far, but it will still help protect your posessed. . . At a cost. *shrugs* I guess you're all right either way. . .I'm leaning more towards yes rhino the more I think about it though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you have some extra points then buy 2 or 3 rhinos and then your opponent will have to decide which to shoot and you can use the ones not carrying the guys as cover for the rhino that has them in it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I say instead of a Rhino, give the Possessed Infiltrate. It would be cheaper and better.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd have to check my codex to know this for sure, but I don't think posessed can take veteren skills, hence kellster1's initial question.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Possessed- As stated earlier, they'll need a movement ability if they are going to see c.c. This squad will no doubt be the primary target.
infiltrate: Not permitted. Possessed cannot take Veteran skills.
rhino: If this is your only vehicle then, as already mentioned, it will have a difficulty time getting across the board.

In a 1500 build, you probably should probably avoid possessed. If you're bent on taking them, then it's going to be a difficult path. Sorry for being so negative, but it's very difficult to make them work in an all-troop D.G. build.

Characters & H.Q.s w/ daemon icons: It is not clear whether or not they have to purchase the icon or not. Most players take the conservative measure and say yes, however.

·
Registered
822 Posts
*looks it up* Oh, so they can't. My mistake.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
You could either
1. Put them in a Rhino
2. Give them Daemon Flight

I'd rather just put them in a Rhino. If there's enough terrain you should be able to get them far enough before the Rhino gets destroyed if it does. You could also make diversions to shoot at instead of your Rhino. You could do this with Nurglings; put them right in the middle of the board and if they don't know much about Chaos say "hahah you can never kill his squad" or "This squad will kill all your units MUAHAHHHAHAHA!!!". Something to that effect so he shoots it. But if you don't want him to go that route, then you can always do something where he has to make a decision: Either to shoot the rhino or something else that will damage him. Either way he loses. Maybe if you can't get the Rhino there safely move a Obliterator or 2 into position to shoot at one of his prised units or tanks. This will make him shoot at it leaving your rhino and possed to move up and be able to get into perfect position to assault. Sure he might of killed 1 obliterator but you possed should make back those points you lost. Or if he shoots at your Rhino, then just laugh and blow away his squad with your obliterator. When your opponent has to make a decision in what to do then you've already put him in a bad position. In both situations he will lose at least something. And when he shoots at either of those its something not shooting at your troops or bikes sneaking up the side ready to unleash your evil deamons (if you have any in death guard as I play Khorne). After your possessed get out of the rhino, I suggest screening your units with your Rhino so that they have to shoot the rhino before they can shoot your possessed. If your Rhino survives and your possessed assaults, then move your rhino in front of the assault so that if the possessed destroy that unit they can't be shot to oblivion by the enemy the next turn.Or you can just let out the possessed behind some terrain and then they can move out safely and assault the next turn. If you choose to give your possessed Daemon Flight instead of a Rhino, then just use cover when possible and move full speed forward each turn to the nearest squad that you can kill in Close Combat. But you have to make sure that it will be worth it because if you kill the whole squad your open to shooting from his whole army right after that which isn't good.

Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes and it was clear. Good luck!

Ben

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great response. I am not hellbent on taking them, but I like the idea of T5 str 5 rending deathbringers :) To clarify some things: My list also has a plasma cannon dreadnought, so the enemy would at least have to split his fire some, and my 1st turn charge lord and Lt. could be used to tie up my enemies Anti armor (guard Heavy squads, SM devastators, chaos havocs etc.) Also I have plenty of AA myself (6 1st/2nd turn melta shots). Does this modify your response any? please keep the great feedback coming

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
kellster1 said:
On a side note: all Death guard lords/ A.C/ Lt. can automatically summon plaguebearers, correct? I think they can, but I am unsure
Any unit with the mark of any of the gods including undivided and thus including Nurgle can take a free icon to summon deamons.

So your squads can summon plaguebearers for free. The icon can be placed on the AC if you want, but can be any unit member and is treated as a heavy weapon trooper for purposes of wound removal. Ie: You can always choose to take him off last if possible.

However. In order to summon off of your lord or lieutenant you will need to buy a Personal Icon. Not cheap.

So basically, you squads can summon for free, and your ICs can summon if you want to blow the points. I'd only do that if your IC is going to be way out front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts