Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've agonised over how I want to go with Blood Angels (limited funds) and came up with this as my attempted GT army this year (if I can paint it in time, I'm slow.) Note: I know you'll tell me to take VAS in this but I'm making an enclosed company (no first company allowed.)

HQ-
Lemartes

Elt-
Death Co.x9 w/ Jump Packs

Trp-
Tactical x10 w/ Powerfist, Plasmagun, Plasmacannon
Rhino w/ Extra Armor

Tactical x10 w/ Powerfist, Plasmagun, Missile Launcher
Rhino w/ Extra Armor

Tactical x5 w/ Plasmagun
Razorback w/ TL Lascannons

Assault x10 w/ Powerfist

Fst-
Attack Bike x2 w/ Multi-meltas (deployed seperately)

Hvy-
Baal Predator x2 w/HB Sponsons

What do you think?

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern is that tactical squads only get a 5 point break on Death Co. (a division of Murder Inc.) This would mean that I can take 1 cheap squad to get only 1 death company marine. The Death Company are my main hittes so having a good number is important to me.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Well, your making your own limits. So there really isn't much I can say. I feel the way I play BAs is far superior to a mix mechanized assault BA force. I just don't believe that works. Although I suppose most players would think they way they play their army is good - hmm.

Peace

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just beaten too many BA players who think that the swarming jumpacks path is all that good. An even mix of shooting and assault is how Space Marines should be played IMO. I'm glad your path works for you but I'd love to play you myself and we could settle this debate.:happy:

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
yeah, a buddy of mine plays BA, and he has a total of one rhino in his entire 1500 point army.

his tacs have no bolters, all bp and CCW,
a sick ammount of Death Co. and tons of assault marines.

I sit back in my mechanized 2nd chapter Space marine army,
Sit on the board edge and tap him all day long, las, autocannon, assault cannon, Hyperios, and predator love.

He usually has 3 guys left before he comes into assault,

oh, and My 2nd company...has counter attack and true grit :)
aww...no charge for the Death Co. :(

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that Blood Angels or Codex Marines that your friend plays. If BA then you should point out that BA Tacticals can't take BP/CCW on the basic marines. Either way, you've got the secret of it. Marines strengths aren't CC like most people suspect. Their many fold but we're the second best at Speed (not like Tau/Eldar), toughness (not like necrons), firepower (not like Tau/Imperial Guard), and number...not our best part.
Space Marines need to capitalize on all our strengths, not just CC like most people do. If you go too far in one direction you'll just find somebody who is better at that then you (orcs, tyranids, Chaos, etc.)

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Try not to take offense to any of this.

I mostly meant that you're not going to be taking veterans which are the best units in the BA codex, aside from DC.

Next your list breaks several fundamental tactics of solid space marine lists. First, you are mixing tanks, with power armored units. Space marines should strive to use as much power armor as possible, or as much Tank armor as possible. Mixing allows the opponents weapons to more easily counter your list. Land speeders are an exception to this general rule, as they are not indented to absorb firepower in either style of list.

Secondly, your army does not support itself very impressively. Your death company and assault squad will always be out in front of your other troops when attempting to assault. Or when playing defensively, your spending over a hundred points for your transports, which would suddenly become far less useful.

Your fire base is weak, 3 plasma guns, a ML and a plasma cannon aren't very frighting. The Baal is reasonable, but can't take shots like infantry, while the bikes are very fragile and need to operate carefully, especially without the support of 40 assault marines in front of them. But of course the bikes are a great choice.

Your assault core is alright, but only because death company are so good.

At a GT i'd imagine you'd find a lot tougher competition then perhaps the general store opponents.

Peace

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not taking offense to this and I appologize if it seems as though I am. I'm merely trying to explain my list as something that is designed to take all comers. I've seen too many BA players capitalize on their assault capabilities, only to die horribly to orks or 'nids.
Don't underestimate the tactical squads in assault (especially with them having pistols on the way in now.) They'll be acting as support assault in situations where it's needed. They're designed to be just as they're called tactical, able to help in all situations I need them for.
Coupled with the assault squad (something overlooked compared to VAS but they still hold thier own quite well) and the death co. I have an assault force that out classes a lot of armies entire assault group.
Baals and razorbacks provide modile firepower. They may be shoot to hell but the best anti-tank weapons are also the best anti-marine weapons so an enemy still has a bad day if their having to split firepower between anti-armor and anti-death co.
Then they have the bikes. Admittedly their kinda on their own if I'm sitting back, but if I'm sitting back then I don't think I'll beat them up close anyway so I'm not coming with just my bikes, they'll hold off to.
I've seen the assault BA list die to this tactic many times. Also, Orks and 'nids (sometimes assaulty chaos) have a terrible problem against this as they have to weather the storm on the way in and then face an assault capable army. As GW releases more codexs and the new addition, I think this is how marines will be best played. I may be wrong but I hope I'm not.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
About the weapons, take eldar for example, if you field lots of tanks, their starcannons will be less useful. While if you field no tanks, a great deal of the point cost of a bright lance is wasted.

A nearly pure assault BA force, can out assault nidzillas, which is probably what you'd find in a tourney, and orks just got a new codex, hard to say what will happen with them, that said, a 10 man death company with chaplain can kill 30 orks on the turn they charge (and thus take no wounds in return, meaning BAs aren't always out assaulted by eaither army, unlike other space marine armies.) No chaos army can out assault BAs. Khorne Nurgle combo won't do it, DC shred them far to easily.

Peace

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not saying Chaos will out assault your line, I'm saying that they can shred you on the way in and then meet you with units that fight back with more than their points worth of hutzpa (I think I misspelled that.)

I understand your point of view, I just honestly don't agree with it. I hope you're wrong, for my sake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.