Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey to the OK community out there.
I'm back from a break from Warhammer, and looking to maybe start a new army to get me back in the game. Right as I left, OK came out, and while I haven't had the opportunity myself to play with/against them, they seem like a fun army. Their magic along with their 'bruteness' just appeals to me. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas about it. I am an old Lizardmen and O&G player, and it seems I get some expendable troops with these gnoblars, some rock hard units, basically all the bulls, and some dead hard characters. Along with the bit of randomness it seems like OK has, brings me back to my O&G days that I loved. Any and all feedback would be great.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
OK is one of my favourite armies since they're a lot of fun, and here's some information I can give you:

Since you're just getting back, ogres are a good army to start with; not a lot of models, but they do require more skill then you'd think when first looking at them. Gnoblars are indeed fun, and very expendable :D, but I don't include any fighters in my lists anymore since it's the ogres that win the battles. Trappers on the other hand are invaluable to march-block or annoy.

When building your army lists, here are some of my suggestions;
IMO, all ogres are at their best in minimum unit sizes (2 for leadbelchers, 3 for the rest), maxing mobility.
Bulls and leadbelchers aren't the combat-winning units. They're the bait to get your ironguts into the right combats:rofl . I always give them bellowers to help them rally afterwards, but no other command options.
Ironguts are the bread and butter of the ogre army; Ld8, M6 and S6 are too good to pass up. IMO, they don't need any command at all.
Gut magic is better then you'd think at first; I never leave home without a butcher from 1K on (and take 3 at 2K), and mostly equip one with a bangstick to lure out dispel dice and another with a skullmantle. Add to that the ability to customize your units with buff spells, and you're set.
A tyrant is a combat monster, and one of the most lethal characters at 2K; equip him with a tenderizer and watch your opponents weep when you challenge their unit champs :drinking:
Gorgers are best in pairs; I never really take one under 2K, and from 2K on, I always take 2.
Always try to get a flank attack with ogres: ironguts in the front and bulls or leadbelchers in the flank is ideal; most units won't survive it.
Did I mention the models look great? :party2: And there's nothing more fun then seeing your brutes chop through the opponent's regiments of tiny creatures.

There's a very good OK fansite; the ogre stronghold; it's got a lot of OK players in 1 place. It's a great place for getting ideas for your ogres - both painting, gaming and fluffwise. You could check it out if you want (my username there is arisen) - link

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AD for the fast reply. I'm going to do a bit more poking around, but I'm leaning heavily to OK, the small number of models needed to paint is a real blessing ;)
I love the gut magic that OK have, the butcher is one of the coolest idea and model I have ever seen. Only drawback seems you can't have one be your general, forcing you to take two characters in a <2k list. Anyone see that as a problem?

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
That's not really a problem; I start taking a butcher from 1K on, and don't suffer at all from taking a bruiser as well. The bruiser is a killer character at lower pts games, and when buffed by a butcher becomes even better. Here's my lists at 500 pts, 1K and 1500 pts. They're all quite efficient at their points level. The characters almost always join an irongut unit ;)

500 pts
bruiser
heavy armor
great weapon

core
3 bulls

3 bulls

3 ironguts

1000 pts
bruiser
great weapon
heavy armor
wyrdstone necklace
luck gnoblar

butcher
bangstick

core
3 bulls
bellower

3 ironguts
bellower

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

special
2 leadbelchers
bellower

total = 999

1500 pts
bruiser
siegebreaker
wyrdstone necklace
luck gnoblar

butcher
bangstick

butcher
skullmantle
dispel scroll

core
3 bulls
bellower

3 bulls
bellower

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

9 trappers

special
2 leadbelchers
bellower

total = 1497

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
and here's my 2K list just in case you were wondering;

tyrant
tenderiser
longstrider big name
wyrdstone necklace
luck gnoblar

butcher
bangstick
dispel scroll

butcher
skullmantle
siegebreaker

butcher
dispel scroll

core
3 bulls
bellower

3 bulls
bellower

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

3 ironguts

9 gnoblar trappers

special
3 leadbelchers
bellower

rare
gorger

gorger

total = 2000

a total of 36 models to paint (9 of which are gnoblars), so not too much trouble :).

check out my OK army here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the lists AD. I commented on your pictures on the other post and man the army looks good together. The lists look good too, but bring up a question. The benefits of smaller vs. larger units of bulls/guts. I see your views on the subject? Any reasons why? Or anyone else for that matter, which do you choose and why?

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
I've played with both, and small units are much more flexible. It gives the opponent a lot more units to shoot at, which is always a good thing. The thing I liked the least with big units is how the point investments for the extra ogres didn't really work out.
A clever opponent will move closer to you so you can't get a bull charge, so that negates the use of the second rank for adding strength to it. The back rank can't attack either, so you're wasting those attacks.
I'd much rather split a unit of 6 up in 2 units of 3; that way, one of these units can get in the flank for +4CR (if the enemy's unit is fully ranked up - +1 for flanking, and -3 for his ranks), and to take away the rank bonus you'll only need 2 living ogres, which means your unit can already have 5 wounds on it, and still negate ranks.
If you want complete ranks though,I would strongly advise against it: units of 5 ogres wide are unwieldy, and like said above, I'd much rather have another unit to flank with:party2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.