Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to decide on a lord for my army and I reckon a good way of doing so would be to see what other people have :) So, post your chaos lord here!

So far, I've got:

Lord of Chaos
Steed of Slaanesh
Mark of Slaanesh
Blade of Blood
Pendant of Slaanesh
Bane Shield

This comes in at 360 points and is a beast in close combat - every unsaved wound on him gives him an extra attack, every wound he causes gives him a wound and any save he makes inflicts hits on the unit that hit him - and the steed makes him really, really fast too.

Post away!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like this combo

Lord

Black Maul
Enchanted Shield
Gaze of Gods
mounted

= 6 str 7 attacks, 0 up save, 4 up ward

or if your going for survivability

Lord

Gaze of Gods
Crown of everlasting conquest
gw or add hand

= 4 up ward + regen + base armor save

·
Registered
107 Posts
well hate to put your lords to shame, but my lord weighs in at a whooping 800+ points (WOOT for Tzeentch)

Lord:
Lord Of Chaos
Eye of Tzeentch
Staff of Change
Chaos Dragon
MoT

THis guys is a beast in close combat, and can blow crap up =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
favorite chaos lord

L
Chaos Lord
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Armour of Tortured Souls
+ Gaze of the Gods
+ Spell Familiar
+ Great Weapon
+ Shield

all this for < 450 pts...

it gets you 5 WS 8 S 7 attacks from a T 6 character who also happens to be a 4th level wizard with 5 spells and possesses a 3+ armor / 4+ ward save...

hits as hard as a cannon, as tough as a steam tank, great leadership and as powerful a caster as standard coin can buy...

nasty...

my personal favorite mortal lord

dragons are neat but i prefer three bricks of 30 marauders instead... i guess its the o+g in me :)

for what its worth

·
Registered
38 Posts
well hate to put your lords to shame, but my lord weighs in at a whooping 800+ points (WOOT for Tzeentch)

Lord:
Lord Of Chaos
Eye of Tzeentch
Staff of Change
Chaos Dragon
MoT

THis guys is a beast in close combat, and can blow crap up =)
I just don't like putting all my eggs in 1 basket if someone gets a lucky cannon shot and u manage to fail your ward save your lord is in trouble, i like that you can cast with him and use breath weapons, but in a 2k game that doesn't leave much for your enemies to fight besides the dragon. Also if the enemy gets the charge off on you, you dont have any great armor save, although t5 is good, people will get lucky.

So far, I've got:

Lord of Chaos
Steed of Slaanesh
Mark of Slaanesh
Blade of Blood
Pendant of Slaanesh
Bane Shield
One problem I see with this is if they get first turn and shoot your mount with something you have a slow 4 inch move with a ton of points, which can be problematic, I know the 5 up daemonic ward is nice. Also I don't know with only 3 wounds if thats the best combo u can get, killing blow can be a bitch. Also how many attacks have you ever gotten up to?

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
Lord

Gaze of Gods
Crown of everlasting conquest
gw or add hand

= 4 up ward + regen + base armor save
You can't do that - both the Crown and the Gaze of the Gods are talismans.

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One problem I see with this is if they get first turn and shoot your mount with something you have a slow 4 inch move with a ton of points, which can be problematic, I know the 5 up daemonic ward is nice. Also I don't know with only 3 wounds if thats the best combo u can get, killing blow can be a bitch. Also how many attacks have you ever gotten up to?
Only 3 wounds, although you make them (and more) back pretty fast, I tried him (on foot) against another chaos lord the other day and although he lost (mainly due to bad rolling and because he didn't have the shield) he got up to 10 attacks in 2-3 turns of combat with one guy. Each turn with maxed out wounds you can gain 5 attacks if you roll bad armour saves.

I'm going to take him out for a spin soon, though without the mount.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most of all these "awesome" Lords will lose in CC to a crappy 20 night goblin or something goblin or Skaven slaves (don't know whose cheaper) with a banner ,and those things will run you down!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
raises eyebrow

Most of all these "awesome" Lords will lose in CC to a crappy 20 night goblin or something goblin or Skaven slaves (don't know whose cheaper) with a banner ,and those things will run you down!!!
I presume you're thinking of the Lord facing off against this unit all by his lonesome? Doesn't usually happen... 'least not in armies I design. Lords/Heroes go into big, safe units or mounted on the biggest and baddest dragon types available. [I've personally never had a Chaos Dragon fall in battle and Chaos troops rarely break.] What makes these chaps so potent (specifically in the case of a Lord of Tzeentch) is the fact that they provide good leadership, can blast across the board with the power of a lvl4 mage who has access to one of the more destructive spell lists in the game, force an opponent to dedicate massive dispel dice or firepower of his own toward his person, can withstand the hardest hits from spells or artillery and then mix it up mad crazy like when they reach close combat. And all this power by simply adding 100 some odd points to your character choice.

But sure, if you throw a Chaos Lord on foot without any manner of mount (monstrous or othwerwise) against a brick of 42 night gobbo spearmen possessing a war banner he might have a spot of trouble... aside from the fact that he could magic them into infinity while staying just out of their reach.

So I'm not sure I catch your drift... are you saying it would be better to forgo a Lord choice and just insert as many slaves/gobbos as possible? I'm presuming that's not your point but one never knows. : )

Do let me know what you're thinking on... and what a good Chaos Lord build would be... and if you think any of the previous builds are good or need tweaking...

Thanks!

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think my build would fare pretty well against gobbos. Every time he passes his 3+ armour save, they take a hit at S4, every time they manage to wound me I gain an attack - and killing gobbos is easy, so regaining wounds is easy.

He's also immune to psychology, so mooning him won't help either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres an interesting one-

Lord on foot
Armour of Tortured Souls
Helm of Many Eyes
Gaze of the Gods
Greatweapon
Shield
314pts- cheap for a chaos lord

Backed up by shadow sorcerer/beast shaman & shadow shaman w/goretooth, the plan is to cast bear's anger on him (granting him 8 S7 attacks and toughness 7, along with his annoying ASF ability) and fly him into combat. If you really wanted he could be given the mark of khorne for the extra attack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Heres an interesting one-

Lord on foot
Armour of Tortured Souls
Helm of Many Eyes
Gaze of the Gods
Greatweapon
Shield
314pts- cheap for a chaos lord

Backed up by shadow sorcerer/beast shaman & shadow shaman w/goretooth, the plan is to cast bear's anger on him (granting him 8 S7 attacks and toughness 7, along with his annoying ASF ability) and fly him into combat. If you really wanted he could be given the mark of khorne for the extra attack.
My rulebook is packed away atm. So I may be wrong out of bad memory, but I'm pretty sure the Bear's Anger is a personal spell, cast on the shaman himself..

I wouldn't bet my money on it though, since I haven't played with the LoS for ages myself..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think my build would fare pretty well against gobbos. Every time he passes his 3+ armour save, they take a hit at S4, every time they manage to wound me I gain an attack - and killing gobbos is easy, so regaining wounds is easy.

He's also immune to psychology, so mooning him won't help either.
Gobbos won't wound him.

My rulebook is packed away atm. So I may be wrong out of bad memory, but I'm pretty sure the Bear's Anger is a personal spell, cast on the shaman himself..

I wouldn't bet my money on it though, since I haven't played with the LoS for ages myself..
You can cast it on a char within 12inches or on yourself.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Leth DhaDharchamon (Translate it yourselves, they gave us that page for a reason :D)

Chaos Lord
Mark Of Tzeentch
Disc of Tzeentch
Staff Of Change
Shield
Hand Weapon

-463pts (unless I have missed something)

If facing armies with any amount of shootyness whatsoever I throw in the golden eye. But I know that my next dozen or so games are going to be against Vampire Counts, which have even less shooting than we do.

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
Chaos Lord- Mark of Chaos Undivided, Sword of Might, Chaos armour, Enchanted Shield, Helm of Many Eyes, Gaze of the Gods.

265pts

He has five strenth six attacks with ASF, a 2+ armour save, a 4+ ward save and can re-roll psychology tests including the stupidity test for the Helm of Many Eyes. With this setup he should not be doing much running away so getting turned into spawn is not that much of a problem and even then I still get a spawn to use.
Overall not to shabby. ;)

JvK :happy:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, thats why I don't use dragons, or ridiculous mounts because if you put him in a unit he can whiff like a baby and still win combat by a 15. For example putting my lord in a unit of khorne knights... some VC player charged me in the flank on the side my lord wasnt on with his knights and then with 2 units of zombies in the front, although he was able to kill 2 of my knights, i killed over 20 zombies and after adding combat res I won by 18... and all of his units crumbled.

So no matter how good a lord is I always put him in a unit where he is most effective.;Y

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not really sure if there's much point to this, but I use the first lord on a Chaos Steed in a chosen Knight unit.

He's died once in a challenge with a re-rollable 1+ dwarf lord, and averages 13-15 attacks.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the couple weeks of inactivity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts