Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i had this questioned in my last match and i wanted to check

POTMS lets you fire one more weapons than would normally be permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target.

Now its a different target bit that caused a problem.

My landraider hadn't moved but i wanted to fire my 2 twin linked LC at seperate targets (with the idea that the POTMS lets you fire one weapon at a different target.

My opponent stated that to be able to do this it would have to be a add- on weapon - like the hunter-killer missile and not part of the normal tank.
If that is true does it mean in future i just move my tank a fraction of an inch meaning it is moving at combat speed and i can only fire one of the TLLC and then use POTMS to fire the second at my choosen target ???

Thats a silly walk around if thats true.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i'm 99.9999999999999999999999% certain that potms allows you to fire ANY of the weapons, this means that you would be able to fire lascannons at differant targets.
hope i helped.
(and also that i am right:dance:)

·
991 Posts
I always play that you can fire any weapon. The rule simply says the land raider can fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted. No other restrictions exist. Your opponent was being a weasel. See page 81 of Codex: Space Marines.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always play that you can fire any weapon. The rule simply says the land raider can fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted. No other restrictions exist. Your opponent was being a weasel. See page 81 of Codes: Space Marines.
i agree with you but im not asking to fire one more than permitted im asking to fire one that i can already fire at a different target.

"fire one more weapons than would normally be permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target"

Im not asking to fire one more but im asking If i can fire one i can already fire at a dif target.

Although i agree with you that it means that it doesn't clearly stat that.

since it doesn't stat that it does say that "this weapon can be fired at a different target" meaning that only that extra weapon can - well since im not firing any extra weapons than im normally allowed surely i can't fire one i can normally fire at a different target.
The rule books talks about effect of moving and of shaken/stunned but not about this.

Just to say that i agree with you but i wanna cover my bases before playing him again.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
i agree with you but im not asking to fire one more than permitted im asking to fire one that i can already fire at a different target.

"fire one more weapons than would normally be permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target"

Im not asking to fire one more but im asking If i can fire one i can already fire at a dif target.

Although i agree with you that it means that it doesn't clearly stat that.

since it doesn't stat that it does say that "this weapon can be fired at a different target" meaning that only that extra weapon can - well since im not firing any extra weapons than im normally allowed surely i can't fire one i can normally fire at a different target.
The rule books talks about effect of moving and of shaken/stunned but not about this.

Just to say that i agree with you but i wanna cover my bases before playing him again.
So are you asking if you can fire the left TLLC at one target and the right TLLC at another? Or are you asking if you can fire the Left TLLC at a one target and the fire the Left TLLC AGAIN at another target?

I know it seems kinda trivial but the sense i'm getting is that may have been the issue. And if so its actually a bit more gray than it seems. If you talking about the latter situation then technically a player could use POTMS to fire the TL Assault cannon on a LRC or LRR twice, for a total of 8 shots. My instinct would suggest that thats against the spirit of the rule even if not against the letter. I would suggest that you play POTMS as the LR can always fire one more weapon than usual, and can fire it at a different target, but no single weapon on the vehicle may fire more than one time.

·
991 Posts
There are no "extra" weapons. It says "an additional weapon" as I pointed out before.

Look at it this way. You have 2 benefits from Power of the Machine Spirit. They are:

1- You can fire an additional weapon beyond normal

2- This can be at a different target (or the same, obviously)

It is that simple. Shoot one weapon, then pick another and shoot it. Either at the same target or at a different one. Don't make it more complicated. Your opponent saying it had to be some sort of upgrade weapon or extra weapon is just making that up.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So are you asking if you can fire the left TLLC at one target and the right TLLC at another? Or are you asking if you can fire the Left TLLC at a one target and the fire the Left TLLC AGAIN at another target?

I know it seems kinda trivial but the sense i'm getting is that may have been the issue. And if so its actually a bit more gray than it seems. If you talking about the latter situation then technically a player could use POTMS to fire the TL Assault cannon on a LRC or LRR twice, for a total of 8 shots. My instinct would suggest that thats against the spirit of the rule even if not against the letter. I would suggest that you play POTMS as the LR can always fire one more weapon than usual, and can fire it at a different target, but no single weapon on the vehicle may fire more than one time.
I meant about the left and right firing at different targets

And i would disagree with what you say since it says "fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted"

Firing the left one twice would not be firing one more but the same one twice - which is against all rules.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
I meant about the left and right firing at different targets

And i would disagree with what you say since it says "fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted"

Firing the left one twice would not be firing one more but the same one twice - which is against all rules.

I just said that I disagreed with the idea that POTMS would allow you to fire the same weapon twice, and you agree with that.....but yet you say you disagree with that...

I made my post to say that I think firing the same one twice would be against the rules. Why do you disagree?

·
Registered
316 Posts

I just said that I disagreed with the idea that POTMS would allow you to fire the same weapon twice, and you agree with that.....but yet you say you disagree with that...

I made my post to say that I think firing the same one twice would be against the rules. Why do you disagree?
Probably best to just drop it. The OP has had his question discussed and answered.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would say that according to RAW, you cannot remain stationary and fire your weapons at different targets. I'll break it down for you.

"A Land Raider can fire one more weapon than would normally be permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target unit to any other weapons, subject to the normal rules for Shooting."

"...this weapon can be fired at a different target..." indicates that only the extra weapon may be fired at a different target.

"...one more weapon than would normally be permitted..." indicates that this extra weapon may only be fired by POTMS if you would not otherwise be permitted to fire it.

By remaining stationary, you're permitted to fire every weapon. It can then be concluded that POTMS may not fire an extra weapon this turn, as there are no weapons that you are not permitted to fire, and therefore may not target a separate unit.

... according to RAW... However, I have never ever ever ever seen anybody play this way. Ever. In this case, I would argue that RIA over rules RAW by a long shot.

But this does not address the question. Your opponent is wrong, ten times over. POTMS refers to weapons that cannot be fired due to movement and crew shaken/stunned results, and has absolutely nothing to do with what weapons the LR comes with, and which ones were purchased as upgrades.

If your opponent is being a weasel, or even just an idiot, I suggest responding in kind. If they continue to insist that POTMS refers only to upgrade weapons, then move your LR a full 12" and fire everything. If they argue that you cannot do that, claim this:

"Power of the Machine Spirit states that I can fire one more weapon than I am normally permitted, correct? You insist that this is limited solely to upgrade weapons, correct? Then essentially what you're saying is, I am always permitted to fire my main weapons, otherwise there would be justification to exclude POTMS from firing them. And if I'm always permitted to fire them.. well.. here they are! Ooh, look! Both Lascannons and my Multimelta hit!"

:soldier::beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.