Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always assumed power swords had a physical blade with a force field around it, and most descriptions agreed with this.

Yesterday I bought the Eisenhorn Trilogy, and I've just read the description of power sword. One word springs to mind: lightsabre. His power sword is simply a handle that projects a beam of energy.

Is this common (it mentions that only older power swords are like this) or was Dan Abnett making this up? (I'm pretty sure I've heard him accused of this before).

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
As far as I understand it a power weapon is a blade sheathed in energy, much like you sheat a sword in its scabbard.

The lightsaber-esqueness may just be him expanding this with his own creativity.

I do believe he has been known to bend the fluff before.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Thats the problem with GW these days back in 2nd edition they had a complete description all the waeponry from a knife to a Heavy Webber. Now you have to rely on what ever you can garne.

And the background found in the codex books is comparitivly pitiful.

Anyway there are many varients on all the different weapon choices, its not as if GW is that consistent with its own background anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I bought some random Inquisitor book from GW a few weeks ago, that had the Inquisitor sleeping with a Callidus assassin who has strangely elfy ears on the cover, before taking off to Earth and standing before the Emperor. Bearing in mind this was on sale in a proper GW shop I'd say it's probably okay for fiction writers to embellish stuff a little bit. As far as actual power weapons go, I always thought they were weapons with some internal power source that increased their damage dealing potential, that's what they mostly look like on my models anyway.

Edit - The book was total gash by the way, not because it bent the fluff; it was just really poo :S

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What was the book called, just out of curiosity?

And the thing about 2nd ed weapons was that although they were nice and descriptive, and every weapon had its profile and special rules it took forever to actually do anything.

For several years i actually thought that power swords were incredibly rare in the Imperium, mainly because the first reference I ever saw to tem was in Codex: Chaos, which mentioned that at the time of the Heresy the secret of their construction had still been lost. Being all of 10 at the time, I interpreted this as they couldn't be made by anyone. (there's no point in that story, I just felt like saying it).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
2 cents.

Hmmm.

Well I'm going to throw something else out there to hopefully shed some light/confuse the issue here. If you read the rulebook for the Inquisitior game itself, it shows that there are many, MANY versions of lasguns, which can vary widely in effectiveness. A gun made on a highly technical forgeworld may be much more effecient or even powerful than that made/held by the defense troopers of some backwards agri world.

However, when you reduce things to the simplicity of mass combat of 40K, all lasguns are the same. Ie: When 100 guys are shooting lasguns, we go with the average effectiveness.

That guy on the end of the firing line that always rolls 1s to wound may have the lasgun thats powered by a couple of D cells, while the guy who always seems to get the lucky dead terminator shot may have the Coherent-Photon-Death 3000, but it all averages out in the end.

I think that the same thing may apply to power swords and the like. There might be many different types of power weapons with varying power sources and 'special' effects, but in game play for 40K they are all the same.

For example, a Frostblade from the SW armoury is counted as a power weapon, yet it is described in various places as being a chainsword with super strong, super sharp teeth and no crackling energy field. Then again, I've seen it described otherwise.

If some author wants his protangonist to have a weapon that defies all logic except psuedo science(ie: lightsabers), then eh, whatever.

Reactions: Triumph Of Man

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
He was making it up.. A power sword is generally a physical blade encased in an energy field.

If someone wants to do a super speshul power sword which just has the field and not the blade though, I can't say I really mind. Grey's already pointed out the reasons why it might be feasable.. The question is, of course, what does it actually add to the story?

A character in the rules is may be little more than the sum total of his weapons and stats, but in fluff, unless you're writing about marines who love their weapons more than their own mothers, a speshul weapon does not a character make.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I am the Monkey King said:

And the thing about 2nd ed weapons was that although they were nice and descriptive, and every weapon had its profile and special rules it took forever to actually do anything.

For several years i actually thought that power swords were incredibly rare in the Imperium, mainly because the first reference I ever saw to tem was in Codex: Chaos, which mentioned that at the time of the Heresy the secret of their construction had still been lost. Being all of 10 at the time, I interpreted this as they couldn't be made by anyone. (there's no point in that story, I just felt like saying it).
The book was simply called the wargear book I believe
There was also a book which gave a detailed description of every race I can't remember what it was called Codex something... it came with the box set.

This isn't a thread about 2nd edition so don't get started but actually it was the psycic phase and hidden rules that really slowed everything down.

As for power swords i think GW justified the scaling down of their use in the background suddenly making them ancient weapons (when previously they had merely been prestigious weapons) when they limiteed it to a couple per unit. Back in the day the entire unit could be given power weapons (ahh the old chainsword and Powerfist combo was great....) Another case of cut and paste by GW I believe.

Scene: Ultramarine Chapter House. A company of Assault marines are lazing around piled high with weargear.

Enter Quatermaster: Grave News Brothers. The 3rd edition of the General Wargear Report has come in from Mars and it appears that the 2nd edition report was in error in fact rather than being abundant in the blessed weapons of war they have in fact um lost the designs...

Brother Vestoria:Lost the designs for which weapon Brother?

Quater Master:All of them,

Brother Beremium:Even for the Most Powerful and Sacred Weapon of the Cheese the Vortex grenade

Quater master: especially the vortex grenade designs.

Brother Beremium: But we had a crate of the things delived only last week.....

Quatermaster: yes uh in fact those are frag grenades.

Brother Vestoria: Ah then we still have the holy frag grenades.. Most useful against the forces of the numerous Orks.

Quatermaster:Yes..about that. We have the grenades, the grenades are fine, um we have the greandes but um but not the explosives...

Brother Vestoria: WHAT? And our hand to hand weapons? Our beloved power swords?

Quater:Gone sorry two per company now

Brother Vestoria: Powerfists?

Quatermaster: No, shame that, Union problems I'm told.

Brother Vestoria: Power Mauls?

Quater Master Powersaywhat? Sorry did anyone ever use them?

Brother Vestoria [moody]: Well no but no one ever used anti plant missiles either but we still had the option...ahh wait Surely the Humble Poweraxe...

Quatermaster:Ah yes the Poweraxe design, funny thing about that the Chief tech priest had the hard copy of the STC for the factory that produces the things and wouldn't you know it some one only copied over it with "SISTERS OF BATTLE GONE WILD", apparently the look on the Tech priests face was hilarioui..oh yes sorry no no the power axes are gone.
Any way I have been told to gather up all this excess weaponry, need to tighten our belts, see what we have left and all that.

[Grumbling Space marines hand over enough weaponry to back up a small planetry coup}

Brother Vestoria: This is outragous how shall we deliver furious death to our enemies?

Quater master [overloaded with gear]: You should count yourselvs lucky you should hear what happened to the squats.

Sorry about that mini-rant but that is basically my version of the new GW background explaining what happened to all the weaponry.

Hmm this has me thinking I think a WH40K sitcom could work.......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Grey said:
Hmmm.

Well I'm going to throw something else out there to hopefully shed some light/confuse the issue here. If you read the rulebook for the Inquisitior game itself, it shows that there are many, MANY versions of lasguns, which can vary widely in effectiveness. A gun made on a highly technical forgeworld may be much more effecient or even powerful than that made/held by the defense troopers of some backwards agri world.

However, when you reduce things to the simplicity of mass combat of 40K, all lasguns are the same. Ie: When 100 guys are shooting lasguns, we go with the average effectiveness.

That guy on the end of the firing line that always rolls 1s to wound may have the lasgun thats powered by a couple of D cells, while the guy who always seems to get the lucky dead terminator shot may have the Coherent-Photon-Death 3000, but it all averages out in the end.

I think that the same thing may apply to power swords and the like. There might be many different types of power weapons with varying power sources and 'special' effects, but in game play for 40K they are all the same.

For example, a Frostblade from the SW armoury is counted as a power weapon, yet it is described in various places as being a chainsword with super strong, super sharp teeth and no crackling energy field. Then again, I've seen it described otherwise.

If some author wants his protangonist to have a weapon that defies all logic except psuedo science(ie: lightsabers), then eh, whatever.

In reference to the question asked by the OP; what ^^^he^^^ said :D

·
Registered
383 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, the main character was called Jax or Jak or something like that. I think what did it for me was a lack of Grey Knights. Every book should have and would be improved by the addition of the Grey Knights. Salem's Lot? Grey Knights. Bridget Jones' Diary? Grey Knights. See?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The book was simply called the wargear book I believe
There was also a book which gave a detailed description of every race I can't remember what it was called Codex something... it came with the box set.
I was actually asking Heathen about his crappy book. I've read the 2nd ed wargear book cover-to-cover several times. And the book with all the races was Codex:Imperialis.

Right so consensus is that these days you can make things up about weapons and just say it 'counts as...'

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Berny Mac said:
You have to they got rid of half the weaponry.....
Nope, they streamlined the rules by lumping a group of slightly different weapons together under the designation 'power weapon.'

A power maul is a power weapon..

A frostblade is a power weapon..

We don't need rules to reflect that a power maul stuns it's opponent while a frostblade chews it to bits. Gamewise, they do the same thing, take people out of action.

Also, I don't recall there being a weapon in second edition (perhaps called a.. um.. photon rapier!) which matches that description. I don't think there's any precedent in the official fluff for lightsaber clones, but, as I said, no problem if someone wants to do it.

Heathen said:
I bought some random Inquisitor book from GW a few weeks ago, that had the Inquisitor sleeping with a Callidus assassin who has strangely elfy ears on the cover, before taking off to Earth and standing before the Emperor.
I've never read that book, in fact, I refuse to just because the concept is so idiotic.

I mean, even in those days assassins were killing machines. In fact, most of the fluff i've read on assassins is really really old. They got picked up by big scary ships and trained to death during the journey back to Terra.. those who were too weak got kicked out of airlocks until only a crazed core of psychologically scarred monsters remained.. then they went through years of agonising chemical treatments, psycho surgery and indoctrination.

But you know what, even after all that, they still enjoy going horizontal apparently.. Yeah, sure they do..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eisenhorns power sword is a master crafted xenos reverse engineered weapon, the sort of thing only a Highly influencial Inquistor would have access to.

whats the difference between a power axe and a Space Wolf Frost Axe?

·
Registered
416 Posts
You know, when first edition Rogue Trader came out i was there :lol:

Long time ago i could read the first rulebook and yes, power swords were lightsaber like .
Then they noticed lightsabers were difficult to model and moved to the metal blade surrounded by energy field pattern.

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
It was called Inquisitor, following the monumentally appallingly written adventures of Jaq Draco, a strange Ordo Malleus inquisitor along with his squat buddy Grimm, the navigator Googol (I think), a random Imperial Fists Captain who I can't remember the name of (who at some point in the trilogy was having a dilemma over whether to turn commissar and shoot Jaq), and the messed-up Callidus assassin Meh'lindi who every single of the above characters was drooling over, but only Jaq got to sleep with. It was sickening. Dan Brown sickening.

deversnik said:
Eisenhorns power sword is a master crafted xenos reverse engineered weapon, the sort of thing only a Highly influencial Inquistor would have access to
But then... Eisenhorn is an Ordo Malleus inquisitor, isn't he (I may be wrong on that score)? I would have thought that only Ordo Xenos would be able to get their mits on something like that.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Xerxes said:
But then... Eisenhorn is an Ordo Malleus inquisitor, isn't he (I may be wrong on that score)? I would have thought that only Ordo Xenos would be able to get their mits on something like that.
Not neccesarily.. most digi weapons are alien tech, after all.

But I agree, I still don't like it. Why does he need a xeno-tech powersword anyway? What does it do besides making us think of starwars? Did it even need to be included, or could it have been safely left out without disrupting the story at all?

Xerxes said:
And the messed-up Callidus assassin Meh'lindi who every single of the above characters was drooling over, but only Jaq got to sleep with.
Yes! I am the author! Observe as I single handedly project my impotent masculine fantasies into my writing by having my alter ego sleep with beautiful women! That girl who turned me down for a date in high school is going to be so jealous..

You also gave me an image of a squat assaulting a certain primate, which I will never forgive you for.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
You also gave me an image of a squat assaulting a certain primate, which I will never forgive you for.

Please tell me they got to fight giant monkeys.

Inquisitor and retinue landing on a Death World and chatting with the locals.

Welcome to Skull Island!

Skull Island? What kind of name is that for a planet?

Shut up. Its our planet, we can call it Skull Island if we want.

Whatever. So......got any heretics here?

Yes, but Kong ate them last week.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Xerxes said:
hes actually ordo xenos despite getting mixed up in untold Chaos/Daemonhost rushes

1 - 20 of 40 Posts