Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a quick look about and i cant seem to find a thread which answers this question...

Before the Horus Heresy were space marine chaplains black? Post Heresy they are all black but were they so before the Heresy? same goes for Librarians and Techmarines i suppose, were they blue and red respectively before the rebellion as well?

ive seen lots of chaplains/librarians/techmarines but never any that were pre heresy,

the closest i can get are the Wordbearers Dark Apostles and they seem to be the same colour as the rest of the legion?

Is there any pretext for them to be black/blue/red pre heresy? or are they better the same colour as the legion

cheers in advance
syc.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
I'm not too sure myself - I always assumed that the were black/blue/red. The fluff forum might be a better place to ask this question - somebody on that would know for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think due to the heresy books that the emperor did not like Librarians and didn't like others using magic. This is why Magus the red got attacked by the space wolves because he tried to warn the emperor of the attack on terra.

Not sure about the chaplains but I would think they are black and from what I have read there is no talk of any space marine techmarines just the adeptus mechanicus and their titans.

But never quote me because i may be wrong.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I suspect them fluffy-haired fluff-masters will probably be better able to help you with this than us painty-tongued painters...

Thread moved.

-t.

EDIT: Having just had a quick flick through The Horus Heresy: The Collected Visions, I did see several pics of chaplains and apothecaries, and while by no means comprehensive, they were wearing black and white, respectively; although not entirely. I'd generally suggest doing something like the tabard in black/white/blue/whatever, with regular coloured power armour, if you want to try something a little different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Descent of Angels there were librarians, zarhariel was an aspiriant one, and his master was a epistolary or something psykerish....

id like to think that they were black/blue/red, as itll allow me variation but im a crazy 'get it right' buff and well, dont want to get it wrong. Like that black and green armour dark angels mix up!

syc.

edit: cheers for moving it

·
555 Posts
If memory serves, and it often doesn't, the declaration of Nikea created the Chaplains in each chapter to regulate the psykers the chapters were using. I don't know if there was a real librarium at the time...it certainly wasn't online yet. ;Y

In this regard one could surmise the chaplains were fullfilling the same 'its for your own good' ethic the commissars in the guard would later fill.

I imagine they had a similar color scheme, particularly black, but I imagine they'd have more yellow; as the lightning bolt /and/ the skull were symbols of the Emperor. This would also scan with the required yellow tabard on codex librarians.

Just me making surmises though.

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
I think you have a lot of leeway here as to the colors of you Chaplains. While I might include some black, I wouldn't feel obligated to do so as much as in a modern Chapter. I don't think we have any good details on this subject from GW or even Black Library, and even with the information from Descent of Angels (as above), I wouldn't feel that the information quality is high enough to form a hard opinion on the matter.

It would be my feeling, with no real information to back me up, that the requirements would be less stringent on these specialty troops, because of their rarity and newness, and the relevant facts of their surroundings in the 31st Millenium.

Tekore

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Techmarines were almost certainly still red (normally) as red is the colour of the Cult Mechanicus, in which they're initiated members. But I wouldn't treat it as a hard and fast law.

The others, I'm not sure about.. I never got why librarians were blue myself.

Chaplains did exist.. The traitor legions killed theirs as their first act of betrayal (except the Word Bearers, whose chaplains led the conversion.)

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
If you read Horus Heresy: Galaxy in flames, you will see that one of the Emperors Children’s chaplains was wearing black armour.
That being said the Horus Heresy novels mention very little about chaplains of that era. I assume the role was later made more important after the heresy to seek out any source of corruption in the remaining space marines.

If your planning on doing pre heresy chaplains or any other such role then I would suggest using codex colours for these stations. But with everything artistic you should feel free to paint them as you please. Who knows maybe other pre heresy legions could well have used Red as a chaplains colours.
Or maybe pink with green spots.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
The others, I'm not sure about.. I never got why librarians were blue myself.
I honestly think they just picked a colour. At least they weren't mauve or something.

All the hard-and-fast rules about Chapter behaviour and regulation were made in the Codex Astartes, after the heresy. So there are two ways you can look at this:

1. Chaplains always wore black, because they were descended from Protestants. >.o
2. Chaplains were commanded to wear only black after the Heresy by Gulliman, because he wanted them to be easily recognised - but still scary.

Either explanation is totally viable and both let you do what you want. Pick one, go crazy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i think the librarium and chaplain colours were standardized by Guilliman in the codex astartes... so i think you have some free reign here, maybe if you painted one shoulderpad black then that would help. i also dont think that the chaplains role was the same role as they do post heresy. you might want to ask the fluffmasters clan or the pre heresy clan... they should have the knowledge to help you.

·
555 Posts
i think the librarium and chaplain colours were standardized by Guilliman in the codex astartes... so i think you have some free reign here, maybe if you painted one shoulderpad black then that would help. i also dont think that the chaplains role was the same role as they do post heresy. you might want to ask the fluffmasters clan or the pre heresy clan... they should have the knowledge to help you.
Implications point to the pre-heresy chaplains being primarilly there to uphold the Council Decision of Nikaea, as opposed to the Imperial Faith...well, except for word bearers chaplains who bizarrely are the chaplain template.

·
Registered
7 Posts
actaully some chapters/legions had unique colours for champlains.

crimson fists;black with red gloes and elbow pads.
salamanders:green with black helmets.
space wolves:dark grey or black with bluish grey shoulder pads.
white scars:black helmet, white torso black legs.
but of course ur champlains r the colour u want. it doesnt matter if u paint em black,white or purple.:beer::drink::beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts