Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother have been having an argument between us about whos the cooler primarch : Leman Russ or Sanguinious. Since im BA and hes Space Pups neither is willing to admit defeat. But now for the 1 MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION:

WHICH PRIMARCH IS THE COOLEST AND WHY???

please say why you think, specify which chapter he founded and back it up with his coolest moment/achievement.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Corax of Raven Guards.

Most Epic Moment: Emperor actually gave him the secrets of the genetic technology used to produce Primarchs and Space Marines (Read Deliverance Lost, I won't spoil more...)

Why He Is Best: Instead of painting their armour in bright colors and stubbornly adhering to some tactics book, or spedning days and days praying to god for victory, or going into flipping rages and start a suicidal frontal assault, or just generally whining how bad the world is his legion is trained to actually fight smart and get results...

;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
It has to be the Salamanders Primarch without question. This guy built some of the most amazing technology and relics. There is an orbiting defense laser, a forgeship, and 3 other unidentified. Plus the best thing going for him is he is still alive! HA TAKE THAT! All of the others are either dead or in statis because they will be dead if they are not in it! Nothing beats living!

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
The age old riddle again :)

It has to be the Salamanders Primarch without question. This guy built some of the most amazing technology and relics. There is an orbiting defense laser, a forgeship, and 3 other unidentified. Plus the best thing going for him is he is still alive! HA TAKE THAT! All of the others are either dead or in statis because they will be dead if they are not in it! Nothing beats living!
Many Primarchs are suposed to be 'alive' not only Vulcan.

Corax of Raven Guards.

Most Epic Moment: Emperor actually gave him the secrets of the genetic technology used to produce Primarchs and Space Marines (Read Deliverance Lost, I won't spoil more...)

Why He Is Best: Instead of painting their armour in bright colors and stubbornly adhering to some tactics book, or spedning days and days praying to god for victory, or going into flipping rages and start a suicidal frontal assault, or just generally whining how bad the world is his legion is trained to actually fight smart and get results...

;)
Epic fail moment IMHO.If he got the secrets of genetic manipulation from the emperor and all he did was produce a slavering monster horde of genetic marine detritus.And lets not forget after effects of said failure to his mind.That man reinvented the concept of emo in the 30th millenium.

I wouldnt call Leman Russ cool either.Whats cool about a hairy drunken flea bag with berzerker rages?

While the Lion is the Primarch of the legion i am fond of,i have to say that i say the best of them all was Sanquinious hands down.He was the brightest star of the imperium and the only one to approach the dreams of the emperor of what should become of the primarchs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL Angron ftw, He's alive, He's mad and dam near unstopable stomping around the real world and warpspace picking bloodthirsters out of his teeth

A close second would have to go to Lemon russ BECAUSE he's a foul mouthed, beer swilling, drunken, violent viking -instawin

Lastly I'd like to send a special mention to pedro kantor, yes not a primarch but his fluff is soo nice and he is a much better leader than most of the primarchs anyway so i'm giving him a promotion :3

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Epic fail moment IMHO.If he got the secrets of genetic manipulation from the emperor and all he did was produce a slavering monster horde of genetic marine detritus.
Can't really answer that properly without spoiling much of the book, so:
(highlight to read)
Actually the first 300 new marines Corax created were better than anything Emperor had: Faster, stronger and matured and learned more quickly. Alpharius sabotaged the project by dropping some daemon blood into the samples and then it all went south. Still, what Corax did was better than what Emperor had done and the later failure was not his fault.

Also worth noting on Corax's awesomeness is the fact that Corax was the only primarch who actually saw through Emperors mind-control glamours, seeing him for the real person he was, isntead of the jolly golden giant everyone else saw...
(text ends)

I wouldnt call Leman Russ cool either.Whats cool about a hairy drunken flea bag with berzerker rages?
Quite true. Moreover, speaking of epic failures Leman Russ is the biggest fail of a primarch to date.

While the Lion is the Primarch of the legion i am fond of,i have to say that i say the best of them all was Sanquinious hands down.He was the brightest star of the imperium and the only one to approach the dreams of the emperor of what should become of the primarchs.
The biggest thing why I actually like Lion is that he isn't so awesome. He is a slight bit more human than many other Primarchs. Plus his legion has a pretty cool story.

I actually thought Horus was the original 'brightest star'?

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
I actually thought Horus was the original 'brightest star'?
Considered/thought to be would more precise.He came crushing down like a building full of C4 didnt he?
On the other hand Sanquinius,stood as a model primarch/son till the end.Both to his 'father' and his duty to the imperium.And he did it without a single doubt.

As for the Lion,i agree 100%,and thats the reason I consider him the most 'original' (perhaps a wrong word?),but because of his heightened human nature,many would consider him un-cool.

On corax and the emperor,while i havent read the book and it seems after that i have change my opinion of the guy,i still am not convinced of the emperors disposition,since we dont know that much of him.So who knows?

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Magnus of A Thousand Sons sat well with me, if only because he's a cocky bastard. Which I expect from someone that can count his peers and superior in the whole galaxy on his fingers and toes. And he's not all superior, but brooding and down because he's all alone, which a lot of the primarchs act. Nah, he knows the (forbidden, shhhhh) secrets of the universe, and he just wants to share.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Being a Heretic at heart, I seem to like a lot of the traitor primarchs more then the loyalist offerings.

Vulkan is probably an exception to the rule. I like the Salamanders in general, too, and Vulkan seems like an alright kind of guy.

Magnus is a bit of a favourite as well; not a fan of the arrogance, more the eternal quest for knowledge and betterment. I've always sort of had the feeling he wouldn't have fallen if he wasn't pushed, and that he was always trying to do the right thing even if he did kind of go about it the wrong way and overestimated his own intelligence.

I kind of like Alpharius as well, although I don't know that much about him. I think he'd like it that way, though. And I also remember enjoying the stories of Perturabo, Angron and Mortarion, to a degree.

I think my all time favourite is Konrad Curze, though. I've always liked him, and the Night Lords, and I happen to think he's the coolest primarch.

I know all of the Primarch's probably could have done it, but as far as I know he's the only one who had to fend for himself his entire life, and he still rose to rule his homeworld and... well, I was going to say, and made it a better place, but perhaps that's not entirely accurate.

And for me, his coolest moment is when he confronts the assassin who took his life (Or did they? :p ).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd just have to say Rogal Dorn just because of the fact thats how i'd see myself if I was a primarch. But then again I think that for this very reason you can never truely answer this question. I say Rogal but the next man may see say, Robute Gulliman as the pinnicle fo the primarch creation because he was supposedly level head and a master tactician and the guy after that might see Angron as the pinnicle because his own strategies fit well with how the World Eaters tactica pans out

But for ow I'm gonna say Dorn he is to me the image of a primarch, especially the picture of him in fon of his legion with his massive hammer its like you can feel the command for respect coming from the picture and the loyalty and respect for their leader coming from the troops

·
Registered
404 Posts
The best primarch was Horus, because if not for the emperor, he would have conquered the galaxy. That would mean Chaos would cease to exist, because everyone still alive would get sick of it. If your really read the fluff, you knew that. For the rest, there is no best primarch, all of them died, fell to chaos or pursued some enemies in the warp and did not return.

If you'r gonna say Leman Russ is F***ed up, because he is drunk all the time, you'r wrong. Space wolves are probably more disciplined than any other marine, because they come from a deathworld. If you don't pay attention there, you die. Lion el'Johnson on the other hand did not pay attention, and couldn't even sense that by sending some of his man back home, they felt betrayed. If only he kept some contact with them, his legion wouldn't have such a civilwar-ish history.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If you'r gonna say Leman Russ is F***ed up, because he is drunk all the time, you'r wrong. Space wolves are probably more disciplined than any other marine, because they come from a deathworld. If you don't pay attention there, you die.
A word on Leman Russ. Lets see... this guy actually:
- Wants Emperor to shut down all Librarians from other Legions and when Emperor does so continues to use his own 'Rune Priest' because, according to him, "they are not librarians, but priests" and "they don't get their powers from warp, but Fenris"
- When Magnus dared to use psychic powers to warn Emperor of Horus's treachery Leman Russ goes all ballistic because "Magnus has dared to use dirty psychics!" and "Horus can't be a traitor so Magnus must be". When he is given the license to go after Magnus he then just goes right ahead and uses his own 'Rune Priests', because, once again "they are not using psychic powers, they are just using magic, you know".

THAT guy is either:

1) A Full blown idiot who is NOT paying attention at ALL
or
2) A Full blown traitor who purposefully sabotages the Imperium
or
3) A Full blown power-hungry hypocrit of the worst kind

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
I vote 1).

And excuse the Lion for having to fight a war of attrition half a galaxy away while attempting to control a drunken berzekers idiotic undisciplined charges attempt to return to terra by crossing warzones of said galaxy and try to make contgency plans of what to do when he reached the siege.He might have time to take a look back home by then...

Also on Horus:Yep he was great...Even his rumored clone (Abaddon) when refering to him he uses this phrase:Horus was weak. Horus was a fool.
And when you take into account that Abaddon himself is THE FAILURE and he calls Horus that...Well...Even i feel sympathy for the guy...

The best primarch was Horus, because if not for the emperor, he would have conquered the galaxy. That would mean Chaos would cease to exist, because everyone still alive would get sick of it. If your really read the fluff, you knew that. For the rest, there is no best primarch, all of them died, fell to chaos or pursued some enemies in the warp and did not return.
El Johnson is alive,he just feels a little sleepy.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
El Johnson is alive,he just feels a little sleepy.

If I remember correctly there are very few Primarchs who are actually, really dead without any ifs, buts and maybes.

Of Traitors: Horus and Curze are dead. Alpharius or Omegon might be dead. Or maybe not. Everyone else has gone Daemon Prince.
Of Loyalists: Ferrus Magnus and Sanguinus are dead. Guilliman is dead or stuck in moment of near-death. Everyone else is AWOL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Abbaddon hasn't actually failed yet, every crusade eats away more of the imperium's def -chaos even have several planets in the system atm and none of the crusades cost chaos any of it's powerbase whatsoever. It might look like epicfail moment but none of the crusade's has actually used the full legions, If abby could pull the entire pantheon of traitors together they would wash over the imperium like it wasn't even there but where the fun in that?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Abbaddon hasn't actually failed yet, every crusade eats away more of the imperium's def -chaos even have several planets in the system atm and none of the crusades cost chaos any of it's powerbase whatsoever. It might look like epicfail moment but none of the crusade's has actually used the full legions, If abby could pull the entire pantheon of traitors together they would wash over the imperium like it wasn't even there but where the fun in that?
Yeah, yeah. He didn't actually fail. It's just.... He hasn't completely succeeded yet. (Yeah, that's the ticket, they'll buy that)

Yeah, totally. Erm.... All those 'declared goals' of the previous crusades that were never actually met... Well.... Y'see, they weren't the real goals of the crusades, the really real goal was to just ware down the Imperiums defences over time.

Also, If they had actually gathered all their forces for the crusades then they totally would have won, not that they lost or anything, it's just that they didn't really want to. Because if they'd just crushed the Imperium with the 1st crusade.... Well, that would be boring. The forces of Chaos have been holding back for the last 10,000 years because if they'd just got everyone together and washed over the Imperium like it wasn't even there.... Where would be the fun in that?

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
If I remember correctly there are very few Primarchs who are actually, really dead without any ifs, buts and maybes.

Of Traitors: Horus and Curze are dead. Alpharius or Omegon might be dead. Or maybe not. Everyone else has gone Daemon Prince.
Of Loyalists: Ferrus Magnus and Sanguinus are dead. Guilliman is dead or stuck in moment of near-death. Everyone else is AWOL.
'When the Dark Angels descended to the, now, asteroid, they searched the ruins and found Luther mumbling that Jonson had been taken by the Watchers in the Dark and would return one day and forgive him for his sins.The final secret known only to a very select few is that, buried even deeper within the Rock than Luther, Jonson lies sleeping, waiting with the Watchers in the Dark for the time when he will be needed again, to lead the Dark Angels in a new and greater crusade. The Emperor is one who also knows of this secret'. Codex angels of death 2nd ed.

Yeah i know,its second edition,but there are no references on the matter since then.

The most successful thing to ever happen happen in the black crusades was the three to four (if i remember correctly) marine chapters that were destroyed.And that was done by Angorn,not failbaddon.13 black crusades and 10k years of frustration of constant failures is hardly fun IMHO.

·
3,395 Posts
I'd just have to say Rogal Dorn just because of the fact thats how i'd see myself if I was a primarch.
Dorn kind of went downhill on the whole 'cool' scale after the Heresy with his mental breakdown and suicide-by-heretic, though he was at least lucid enough to prevent another civil war when Gulliman declared himself god.

Both Dorn and Magnus suffer somewhat in the cool stakes by having a notable right hand man - Ahzek "i've actually been doing something all this time" Ahriman, and Brother "in the future, there will be only war" Sigismund.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
...to prevent another civil war when Gulliman declared himself god.
Which actually reminds me: Guilliman gets considerable amount of cool points for:
1) Having the balls to actually step up and set himself virtually as a second Emperor before the corpse of the first one is even cold
2) For, unlike Horus, actually getting away with this shit
and
3) For being the clear winner in preserving his physical and intellectual heritage... over 60% of all Marines are now related to Guillimans gene-seed and even more are Codex chapters. The heritage of all other Primarchs are driven into clear minority.

·
Registered
597 Posts
How could everyone forget the Salamanders Primarch? According to the fluff he is not dead and did not vanish in to the warp. He hid his relics and said when the chapter found them all he would return to lead them to victory! Plus he fought the emperor and tied until the last event! He went toe and toe with him which means he is pretty awesome!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts