1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help I don't know how to prime!

Greetings fellow painters and brush enthusiasts,
I come to you today seeking knowledge on priming mini's

I've watched the tutorial on army painters youtube countless times, but I'm still unsure of my own skill, he says to keep constant movement but I fear too much or too little movement. I have enough mini's to make a few mistakes so I'm willing to dive in.

I'm painting a legion of space wolves and have a host of terminator bits on pins as demonstrated here YouTube - ‪terminators part 1‬‏
with a battleforce, njal stormcaller, and cannis wolfborn to follow; why I pinned all bitz is mostly because I planned on magnetizing a few, but I've run out of shoulder pads which will probably make my bitz box look more like a bug collectors grey rejects bin

I have them organized on two styro chunks, one for bitz that need gw's chaos black, and another for army painters wolf grey but alas they sit idly because my friends with painting experience are busy and I'm hopping to attempt priming myself lest dust begin to settle

If anyone has any pointers or advice of any degree please help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, alright:

-make sure the shake the can well before use, but let it settle a minute or 2 before spraying (let the bubbles set in the can)
-keep a good motion. if you start, don't stop.
-follow the directions on the can for distance (+/- depending on weather)
-a few thin coats is better than 1 thick coat. thick coats crack, and cover details.

its not too tough. if you mess up, just soak the mini in Simple Green or Clorox Greenworks to remove the primer, and try again. practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Styro foam, as in the white packing material? May be worth spraying some primer on the corner. It's been a long time since I last bought a GW boxset with styrofoam packing but I do recall the spray paint I was using melting it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
yeah, pinning stuff on styrofoam when you are going to spray it isn't the best of ideas.
Spray paint melts styrofoam away, and you don't want your models to fall into a gooey mess of syrofoam drops.

You could better pin your stuff at cork, or simply at cardboard.

About the spraying itself: as long as you shake your can before you spray, you can't really go wrong.
You could hold steady and use short bursts, or you can use longer bursts, but you have to keep moving.
Heck, you could also do short bursts AND moving :p
Just make sure you don't use to much paint. Give it some light coverage, and then wait for it to dry.

Practise makes perfect ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a bit of a ham fisted tutorial, but I'm sort of going off of this http://youtu.be/3ipiBtDr--Y

but I'm aware that it'll melt, but it's some sort of packing foam I found in the garage that had been molded to something and it's wrapped in plastic and I went and wrapped a few bags around said plastic, I'll be sure to post a video of my own later today with the results of this test, if it doesn't work then it's back to basics, but I'll still keep your guys' tips in mind, wish me luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input guys and also for not laughing at me over how simple the process is; granted, it is easy to muck up what you're doing, and I had managed to do that a few times, looks like a few rune charms on the backpack of a few wolves will have to be cut off, and the rest possibly remodeled, but then again there's always room for battle damage and scorch marks :snicker:

I didn't end up using the Styrofoam method that I had preached about, mostly pinning the different pieces and then using two strips of tape to make an even line and then taping that to a board allowing for even coverage and application.

While I still have the attention of at least a few of you, what's the next step you perform after priming?
Do you use a wash? if so, do you use a color other than badab black, or another method to bring dimension to the parts that require paint?
If you skip to just base coating, do you use any methods or techniques that might be found uncommon by your peers?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
First off, don't ever be afraid to ask questions. We were ALL new to this once, and the good ones here still remember that.

About spraying, I personally hate aerosol paint cans, for a variety of reasons, chiefly that I find you're a slave to environmental conditions, so much so that I gave up on spray-priming. I switched to various brush-on primer experiments, and ultimately have settled on airbrushable primer.

As to what to do afterward, not sure what you mean. If you mean cleaning up missed spots, there are a number of answers to that one, most of which involve thinned-down paint, ink, or wash matching your primer color (part of the reason I hate spraying. If you can't do it all with spraying, why break out the cans in the first place?).

If you mean what to do after that, well, it depends on what you're painting. High-pigment paints, such as GW's Foundation range, are excellent basecoating paints, and you're bound to find one to undercoat pretty much any color scheme you can think of. More specific questions may yield more specific advice.

Have fun!

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Depends on what colour you need to do.For example when i paint my deathwing terminators i base coat them black,let them dry and then i apply a khemri brown coat over the foundation.Then i apply the bleached bone colour,with the khemri brown foundation and black undercoat i get bleached bone to look like it has been on the armor for a while and that it was not painted yesterday.

For my rank and file marines(dark angels) i base coat them black and then apply dark angels green to the armor.Highlight it(were i care to do it because i am against extreme highlights)and then wash the armor with green wash.

Use paint on the sprue first and apply washes there to see their different effects.Its a personal perspective mostly depending on what you need to achieve it takes time and experience.

Examples,where you i use washes:

Purity seals/parchment:I paint them the same way as my termies except i give em a light gryphone sephia wash to make them look like old scrolls.

I also use bhadab on the spacemarines weapons to make boltgun metal look a little darker by the constant years of use.

After applying mithir silver on the bullets showing through some weapon magazines i wash said bullets with gryphone sephia to make them look like the bullet casings i remember from the army.

When you use different colours as contrast and you but you want them to look natural and not made by brushes(layering is it called?).I use this technique to make robes and capes usually and it requires a lot of time.After applying the colours i use the dominant colours wash to 'unify' them.Generaly experiment on the plastic sprues first.

Ask whatever you need.There are no stupid questions,only stupid people who mock those who ask.

I for one dont believe i am giving you advice because i was at your shoes a few months back asking for advice and now here i am advising in turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts