Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Yriel for christmas this year from my brother, and I must say the model is spectacular, I just wish I had the painting prowess to do him justice...

at any rate I was wondering what the best way to use him is

currently I plan on running him with a unit of storm guardians, I was thinking

10 Storm Guardians w/ Lock- 2 meltas, enhance, spear
Waveserpent- tl shuri cannon, spirit stones

that gives 2 singing spears, and 2 melta guns for tank hunting, enhance makes the storm guardians a decent melee unit, and yriel adds anti MC / meq punch, but I could just run flamers and destructor as well.

The other thing I could try is splurging and squeeze in 5 wraithguard in a waveserpent. That would be a far tougher unit, and yriel can benefit from the majority toughness rule in this case... + it would probably be the most fitting Iyandeny solution I can think of... haha. and Yriel's presense will make things second guess charging the guard.

any other ideas on fielding the autarch would be appreciated :)

·
1,059 Posts
I find him to be wonderful in a warlock unit, the powerweapon hits he brings can tip combat rez heavily in your favor. They can also try to save against his eye if you need to use it in a pinch. The storm guardians is still rather fluffy as he is/was a leader of a corsair fleet. I don't like the idea of him charging into combat with storm guardians though because even with enhance they don't do alot of damage and die quickly which could cause you to loose the combat even with yriels kills. Now going with the storm guardians then breaking off to eye a group of marines then acting like rambo can work and it is alot of fun. I have seen him in banshee units making them even more deadly and scaring away dreads. The wraithguard is as you said fluffy but I aways have trouble using them because of the cost. You can basicly get a full firedragon unit for the cost of 5 of them.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'd second throwing him in a banshee unit with a farseer in a waveserpent. There is just so much power weapon goodness there that it'd be hard for me to pass up.
I've done it before in Apoc games before, it's deadly to be sure. But that unit also way overkills whatever it charges and then is left to sit in the open to get minced in the shooting phase. It's a fair chunk of points too. If you've already got a full squad of Banshees in a serpent with a Farseer, they don't nee Yriel's help to kill anything short of TH/SS termies. I'd put Yriel in another squad where he can add some unexpected CC punch, or disengage and have him go after softer targets on his own. If the OP plans on using Storms that might not be a bad place for him, or attached as a CC deterrent to Wraithguard is fluffy and effective too. I'd say give both a try and see how they work.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Never used him either, but I would add him to a small melee unit - a min. warlock or banshee squad (w/ exarch, obviously), because of him pulling his weight, the points can be spent elsewhere to prevent total overkill.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I always put him in a warlock squad with a fortune seer, then stick them in a wave serpent and send them full burn at the toughest thing the enemy has. Fortuned, yriel is a one man army. You can also detach him and send him at a unit all on his own and use the eye of wrath. I've done this a number of time to berzerker squads. There's usually no survivors. Him with banshees is also effective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.