Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My brother at the moment is getting into Warmachine, and has recently (i.e. last night) acquired some Cygnar miniatures.

The first thing I noticed about these models was that, inside their boxes, they sit in these nice plastic bubbles. No sprue, no lose components, everything in its nice little compartment. I thought it was a really neat idea, with the added advantage that, once the model is assembled and painted, it could (with the addition of a little bit of foam, perhaps) be carried around in the box you brought it it.

I know Warhachine has the advantage in that you don't have as many models, but I just thought this was a really cool idea. You get your models, and essentially a carrying case, albeit a low-standard one, as well.

Do people actually carry their models in the trays they come in?

Also, I was kind of impressed with the quality of the models. I didn't look really closely, but it often took quite an effort to spot the mould lines.

I know this post isn't really going anywhere (aside from possibly the question above) but I just thought I would say I'm quite impressed with the quality and thoughtfulness of Privateer Press.

Feel free to discuss at will.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
I agree with the quality of PP models. I have only just started collecting and painting Warmachine and I haven't got any warjacks in boxes yet, just blister models. So I can't comment on the little compartments.

But I can comment on the quality. I know the scale is a little bit bigger (30mm as opposed to 28mm heroic) but the fine details and the quality of the moulding process seem to above that of GW. Especially the newer models, attention to details seems very high.

I love painting them and I think I rather them over GW models, but I will still play 40K game wise. Haven't been able to get a game of warmachine in yet... Looking forward to it though!

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
I carried my trollbloods warpack in the box it came in for quite a while, along with the champions unit(they actually fit quite nicely) until I got a "proper" carrying case for xmas. :p

I wouldn't reccomend it for painted models, but for unpainted stuff it works just fine.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Yeah my friend does it with his Trolls. Me, I use some other boxes fot it but it does work.

And PP makes some fine-quality models indeed. On some of the older sculpts the flash and mould can be somewhat bad and I have had the the luck of recieving some models with quite heavy mould-errors (havn't happend in a while though, thankfully. Got it on 2 of my IF Pikemen).

I recommend WM and Hordes to anyone really. Fantastic games. :)

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Having fewer, but larger models means you can use unconventional carrying boxes, but I wouldn't just use a simple paperboard box. There's not enough padding and even then, a lot of the larger Beasts wouldn't go well in their boxes as well as the smaller units.

Personally, I lug my Trolls around in a large make-up case lined with egg-crate foam. It's a fine size to carry up to a thousand points' worth of Trolls and the other trays are good for carrying dice, cards, templates, etc.

...And good for you on joining the ranks of the Privateers! Be sure to check out the PP Games section of LO, it's becoming more an more active all the time. :)

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I haven't joined just yet - Only by brother's been sucked in to the fold (and he's not on LO, yet.)

I can only cope with developing one army at a time. And at the moment it's Vampire Counts. Maybe I'll come around to Warmachine one day (I do kind of like the Cryx stuff, for some reason...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts