Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all :)

Just wondering the other day about the use of 'swear words' in 40k :p i was particularly interested in how SM's go about cursing when an incoming shell is heard etc, you know?

Ive read a few of the Ciaphas Cain books and noticed that 'Frak' is often used for... well i think we know but what else? 0:

Apologies if this isnt a thread that we should go into, but i thought if its in a Book/Codex that children read... then it should be ok for use on web :party2:

Shaabhekh :happy:

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
In the gaunt's ghost novels they say things like feth. I think people have always cursed and will continue to curse even in the future!

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
The Horus Heresy books use "fug" frequently, especially the most recent one (Legion. I've got it. Yay!) Warpspawn is a common epithet as well, and people use "grox" in the same way that we today would talk about a horse or other domesticated farm animal (as in "grox-herder" or "enough chems to tranquilise a grox" or other, less appropriate examples implying things about one's intimate preferences.)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
In the gaunt's ghost novels they say things like feth. I think people have always cursed and will continue to curse even in the future!

Don't forget that the Verghast troops in the First and Only like to use the word "gak".

IIRC, there was an instance of a character referring to another as "a fething gak".

My personal favorite though, is when they start referring to infantry rockets as "tread-fethers".

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
My personal favorite though, is when they start referring to infantry rockets as "tread-fethers".
Yeah, that is a great bit of inventive writing! Feth sounds good, btw, try using it next time you hit your thumb! :p

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
"By the Emperors golden throne!" (as you stand with hands on hips)

...or maybe not...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just have them use ork words, I mean they could say "pie" in Orkish, and not only would it SOUND insulting, it probably WOULD be :rofl

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
I say go ahead and do your worst with the anachronistic 21st-century vulgarity. Swearing only has shock value if the reader recognises it as shocking. "Feth" is just Black Library's way of avoiding a naughty label spanked onto the cover of their bestsellers.

I've seen "warpsh*t" once. That's a good one, if you'll pardon my French.

Space Marines, I think, wouldn't curse too much. They might say "By Throne/(insert Primarch)" or "Throne/(Primarch) protect us" when shocked. Insulting people isn't really their jive. They're the type to bottle it up and save their frustration for the battlefield.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Space Marines, I think, wouldn't curse too much. They might say "By Throne/(insert Primarch)" or "Throne/(Primarch) protect us" when shocked. Insulting people isn't really their jive. They're the type to bottle it up and save their frustration for the battlefield.
I think it depends on the chapter. The Black Templars and Iron Hands I dont see usinh harsh language, but I can see a Space Wolf or White Scar throwing up a wall of vulgarity.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
I think you can pretty much have free reign here, a word in one country (planet\Regiment) may be offensive to them but wont be to another, for example.

If i were to say, "stop acting like a pig" to an englishman, he would take that as a mild telling off, however if i were to say it to an islamic or Shik they would be massively offended at this, simply because their culture views pigs differently to ours, the same could be said for 40k!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool :) thanks guys, ;Y

Shaabhekh :happy:

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2 (euro) cents [about US$25 todays exchange rate].

What most people do when they curse is use the hell, the christian place of the damnation as reference point. I guess you could come up with whole lot of profanities related to cultural context using the Eye of Terror.

"By the Eye!"
"Damn you to the Eye!"
"That place is Eyish!"
"Rot in Eye!"
And the literate version;
"By the nine circles of the Eye!"

I think those would be recognised as profanities in 40k?

Second trick, that could be considered is the mainly russian habit of swearing by devil's kin (like, "Devil's Grandmother!" etc.). If I connect those to some 40k archvillain like Horus, I got another nifty set non-profanity profanities that everyone will recognise as such.

"Horus' Mother!"
"Father of Horus!"
or my favourite;
"Horus' Horses!"

Of course there would be all kind of references to someones familytree or them being close to all kinds of nasty things and again placing 40k culture would work rather well in my opinion;

"Son of an Ork!"
"You Kroot breath!" (works on so many levels)

I think that actual single word profanities can also be used in proper context:

"Eye!"
"Horus!"
etc.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
true, however i wouldent say horus, but "warp" as in warpspawn etc, purely for the reason that a lot of people dont even know who he was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts