Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heya,

been hammering out an Orc & Goblin list for a while now. After -finally- deciding that I wasn't going to just make a huge goblin horde (it was tempting!), I began work on the actual list itself. To all you experienced greenskins, what have you found to be effective amounts of points invested into characters?

I have a nasty habit to let my splurging get out of control and kit out my awesome, fluffed up characters with 1337 ub3r loot. >.>

Case in point: Four characters for a 2,000pt list. A black orc warboss... on a boar... with the 100pt hacky cleava of doom. Then a black orc battle standard bearer... with Martog's Basha and a common enchanted shield. Then an orc shaman... with 2 dispel scrolls. Then a goblin shaman... with the Staff of Sneaky Stealin'. See my problem?

For a 2,000pt list, I've just sunk 765pts in four models! For a greenskin horde! I can still
buy loads of boyz and grots, but the point of this unnecessarily long post:

What has your experience taught you to be effective character-spending when it comes to a relatively standard greenskin army?

-Nik

·
Gentlemen.
738 Posts
I would suggest finding the best economy of points (Imbads iron gnashas, Killing blow for not many points). You could also just cut back on the total amount of charachters you have. for most any armies (except omfg-giganto-10x20-table-needing armies) one (or two for 3-4000 point armies) good, level two spellcaster is good for O&G. On your Black Orc BSB, you cn't take martogs best basha, or any magic weapons (not sure on magic armor) for that matter.

Hope this helps!:happy:

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
My ifrst couple O&G lists I went crazy with the magic defense too, after a few dozen games I have toned it down substantially. Sneaky Stealin' is a 2 dice swing in your favor, you really don't need two dispell scrolls on top of that. I've been trying to keep my total spent on characters under 25% of the army.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Chaos877 said:
On your Black Orc BSB, you cn't take martogs best basha, or any magic weapons (not sure on magic armor) for that matter.
Warhammer - Orcs & Goblins said:
The battle standard bearer cannot choose any non-magical equipment except for light or heavy armor as appropriate. They may be mounted as normal.

The battle standard bearer can have any magic banner (no points limit), but if he carries a magic banner he may not carry any other magic items.
Unless it says elsewhere that I can't choose magic weapons for him...?

But yeah, I was considering just taking an Orc Shaman in a Lord slot and a Goblin BSB or something. o_O;; Thx for the
input I've recieved so far, in any case.

-Nik

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Unless the ruling is different in the O&G book, here is the rules for all BSB's (to my knowledge, if I'm incorrect please let me know):

-They cannot be your army's general
-They cannot take any non-magical weapons, or a shield
-They may carry a magical standard of any point value
-If they carry a magical standard, they may not take any other magical items

No where does it state that a BSB cannot take a magical weapon. However, if he took a magical weapon, he would not be able to take a magical standard.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try using an Orc warboss with light armour, shield, boar and Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh! in a big unit of regular orc boyz as your general. For just over 200 odd points you get a monostrous killing machine that is capable of smashing up big things as well as racking up serious amounts of CR points.

For magic defense, always use a night goblin shaman with staff of sneaky stealin' and maybe try to fit Mork's Spirit Totem in somewhere (I usually put mine in the black orc unit).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts