277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick one, but I have seen people say this all the time like:

"That character would pwn a squad of space marines"

so what does pwn mean?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
It's a mispelling of "own", which in this context refers to one-sided results.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
"pwn" is actually a misspelling that has become popular. See the letter "P" and the letter "O" are very close on the keyboard, so some hardcore gamers who have to type very fast and are online all day got into the habit of hitting the "P" instead of the "O" and saying "pwn" or "Pwn'd" instead of "own" or "Owned".

Its just leet for "own".

·
LO Zealot
2,512 Posts
MadJackMcJack said:
It's code. That person is really saying "Please stab me repeatedly in the face, I don't deserve to live."
Interesting Interpretation there...

·
Registered
903 Posts
"pwn" has a long history.

It started when some genious typist hit 'p' instead of 'o' in a game (typically and FPS).

To cover for stupidity / lack of typing skills, the claim was eventually made that 'pwned' was short for 'pistol owned'.

From there, "pwned" became the "l33t" version of "owned"; and is now used (like L33t in general) in a mostly ironic sense.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
I know on Warcraft III that DOTA the map said "you pawned so and so head for 100 gold", I donno, its a stupid in the first places.

·
Registered
236 Posts
LictorInTheGrass said:
I know on Warcraft III that DOTA the map said "you pawned so and so head for 100 gold", I donno, its a stupid in the first places.
In this case they are referring to pawn shop kind of selling stuff. So basically, they said you sold their head for 100 gold to a pawn shop owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.