Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How do you model True Grit?

a) Marines holding bolters with 2 hands (standard pose) and then attach a CCW on the model?

b) mix in Assault arms and have each Marine holding a CCW and a Bolter 1-handed?

c) some other method?

I'm starting a Patrol-sized force of SW 13th Company and am considering my options for the Grey Slayers. On the packaging the models are displayed just like standard Marines, firing a bolter with 2 hands. It does not appear that there is any modeling for a CCW.

My current plan is to have a Wolf Guard (sergeant), 2 guys with special weapons and 7 bolters. I plan to divide up the 7 bolter guys between options A and B above.

Obviously, this modelling issue isn't unique to 13th Company as other Marines can gain True Grit through the Traits system.

What has been your experience? What do you think works well?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Banned
507 Posts
I Imagine you could go along fine without modelling it, but if you really want to then I think that cutting off the bolt pistol and replacing it with a bolter on assault marine arms would be neat looking.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
a) Marines holding bolters with 2 hands (standard pose) and then attach a CCW on the model?
This is probably the best solution. However, if your buy the space wolves spure, youll get 10 knifes, which can be easly cut down and fitted to the end of the bolter, or held in the hand, which is also stabalising the bolter. (you can file off any wolf marks if your gonna be a triat marines) Id wouldnt simply glue a chain sword to the side of your model, that will look akward.

b) mix in Assault arms and have each Marine holding a CCW and a Bolter 1-handed?
IF you have assault arms sure.

c) some other method?
The state that it is assumed the model has a CCW, therefor, it is unessiary to actualy model one on the model. Although it looks amazing, for trust your battle brothers or normal marines alike.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I used Assault Arms for my White Scars. I just cut off the Bolt Pistol, Glued on a Bolter and presto, True Grit. Worked for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just adding to the fray...

For true grit, option B, one bolter and one chainsword.

One suggestion is to buy Blood Claws as opposed to Grey Hunter boxes when you make wolves. For a Marine player like myself, I tend to have a lot of extra Bolters lying around (plus you get one with the wolf sprue). With that, conversions are easy.

Another tip (which i should have done when i first started buying and modeling wolves)...go to GW on-line and buy like 2-4 extra wolf sprues. You'll get A LOT of extra wolfy bodies which are cool, tons of extra accessories, and more so, you'll get your 2-4 extra powerfists!

One option C....

Since I already made a number of Wolves for 3rd Ed, I have a few GH packs running around with BP+CCW when now, especially with drop pods, I want Bolters + CCW. When I first made my wolves, I purchased a thin "chain" from a hobby shop (for necklaces and crap). One thing I was thinking of doing but haven't done yet was to make Bolters with a chain bandoleer and kinda wrap it around the marine's body. So although the wolf carries a bolt pistol and chainsword in hand, he has a Bolter strapped to his body depicting that he carries a Bolter for the true grit option.

Fox

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Space Wolf models, however it's fairly simply to convert the standard bolter arm into a one handed position. Take a sharp (of course) hobby knife or your favorite method of cutting things and cut the arm either on or just above the elbow. Glue the forearm into an appropriate position and you're good. You'll need a CCW arm, so you're limited there.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the great feedback!

Forged:
Yeah, I figured that a chainsword on the belt would not look good. If I remember correctly, the Wolf Acc. Sprue has 5 SHEATHED knives which would be even easier to attach and look good. FYI, to avoid wasting Assault chainswords I believe there is at least 1 loose chainsword on each Imperial Guardsman sprues.

I do have assault arms. When I decided to start 13th Company I got 4 boxes of Slayers and 2 boxes of Storm Claws. Now that I am massaging a list together I'm not sure just how many Storm Claws I'll be using which naturally frees up their bitz until I decide otherwise. Besides, it's too easy to bitz order Assault arms if I needed them.

Foxen:
That is the best idea I've heard yet, assuming of course that you do actually have enough bolters. The box price is the same and extra bolters are easier to come by than Assault arms. Good Call!

I did happen to pickup 3 extra SW Acc sprues in order to convert 2 Devastator boxes to Long Fangs. No regrets.

Bob Dole:
In addition to the standard Leg/Torso/Head sprues you get a Space Wolf Accessory Sprue. This sprue contains 5 Space Wolf heads, 5 Space Wolf Torso fronts and 1 each of a melta gun, power fist, power sword arm and power axe arm and several Space Wolf-related bitz. The SW Acc sprue is pretty much a precursor to the new Black Templars Accessory Sprue. You get bitz to convert codex Marines to the themed style.

Since I have the Assault arms from the Storm Claws I think I'll just go that route, however, as BobDole says, converting Bolter arms is relatively easy. The CCW arm would still be the challenge.

Later,
Jon

·
Registered
117 Posts
The trick of it is...

What i did was just used a normal box o space marines, stole as many chaos swords as possible (4) and used the long knives that come for some reason with the SM... the right arms that are supposed to be holding the butt of the bolter look wicked with a long knife pointing down instead. just chop the handle off the blade and the bottom bit to glue on the top of the hand, and use an assault arm (cut off the plasma/bolt pistols) with a bolter, and you have a wicked looking true-gritter!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'v used a chainsword 2X

The one on the belt isn't that great but the one behind the backpack looks great i think
(dont look to close at the models, there my first)

·
Registered
214 Posts
SlickWilley said:
I Imagine you could go along fine without modelling it, but if you really want to then I think that cutting off the bolt pistol and replacing it with a bolter on assault marine arms would be neat looking.
I like how max did it, but im sure this is the easiest way.
I have done it for one squad of marines and it worked perfectly fine!

HPA

·
Registered
364 Posts
since we are taliking aout true grit do yo uthink it would be a good idea to have on a BT marshal beacuse I have one we a sword and a bolter and I don't know where to get a bolt pistol to go on the metal fig.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brother Ares said:
since we are taliking aout true grit do yo uthink it would be a good idea to have on a BT marshal beacuse I have one we a sword and a bolter and I don't know where to get a bolt pistol to go on the metal fig.
Brother Ares:
Where to get a bolt pistol bitz to put on the metal fig. or you have a bolt pistol and need help with where to put it on the metal fig? Sorry I'm not understanding.

The new Black Templar blisters may be different but to my knowledge, most pewter blisters representing sergeants and up come with the mini sprues which include a bolt pistol and vanilla shoulder pads.

Good luck,
Jon

·
Registered
38 Posts
when i modelled mine i did the aforementioned process of taking regular bp arms and removing all but the hand w. the handle, then cut off the handle on the boltgun and combined 'em. if you dont have that many parts you could always take the right arm from the reg. GH sprue and cut/reposition it to look right. I thought about just glueing the chainswords and such to the models, but didnt seem right to me, as the description talks about having the str. and skill to wield bolters one-handed, so i just treated them like big bps. but thats just me, though i might add they look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You have the marine holding the bolter in one hand.

Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
H0urg1ass said:
I used Assault Arms for my White Scars. I just cut off the Bolt Pistol, Glued on a Bolter and presto, True Grit. Worked for me.
Uhhh Hourglass, bikers arent armed with bolters and as such dont make use of the true grit ability. They get counter attack, and any marine with a bolter from white scars can get true grit, but bikers arent armed with bolters.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
White Scars still get tactical marines just like everyone else. :yes:

They just have the option of counting Bikes as Troops or Elites. My tactical Marines (Since I play a balanced form of White Scars) all have True Grit because I just love the way it looks.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True Grit followup:

I didn't consider the True Grit modeling options until after I finished my first squad.

Following are pics of my first 3 squads. I will be building models armed with Melta Guns later.

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

4 of 10 marines in each squad have Bolt Pistol arms with the bolt pistol replaced with a bolter.

Enjoy,
Jon

PS: The trays are homemade; thick plasticard drilled with a 1" bit, glued to a thin plasticard base. You can't drill too fast or you melt and distort the plastic. Will be based and finished the same as my models and used for display purposes in my cabinet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hmm

i attach a chainsword to the bottom of the bolter as a atachment or model the marine in a running position woth a bolter in one hand and a knife or somat in the other hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
What my father did when he modeled his first edition models was he cut the hands that supported the bolters and re-glued them so that they were in a pose so that they could hold more than one Bolter. they turned out brilliant, i'll upload some pics if i can,

Uriels Blade

1 - 20 of 21 Posts