Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

New to the hobby, I am building my first army and have a rules questions regarding the basing of my figures.

A few cool stores sell resin bases which (well painted) can propel the look of a figure to the next level.. An example (IMHO) being :

I realize the image above is 40mm, it is simply an example of how the 25mm bases can also look.

Many bases are sold in the standard 25mm scale, which matches the base size sold with 40k Marines. However, the height of these custom bases ranges widely, from exactly the same as GW's vanilla bases to almost 1/4 inch up. Making the marine taller on the battle field.

Since the line of sigh rules have now changed in 5th ed, what is Tournament legal for basing?

My hope is not to find a "Well just ask your opponent." Because I will need to invest a lot of hard earned cash to $1 base each fig in my army. And well... I do want to be legit, & legal. :)

The second Question is about figure base diameter. Some attractive resin bases are slightly larger than 25mm, these are often referred to as round-liped bases and are 28mm, sometimes 30mm.

Because base to base contact is integral in the game, what are the rules on using a slightly larger base.

An example being :

Thanks all for your thoughts and if you know of a company which makes these sorts of things, please do let me know! I am hungry for the cool stuff! lol

Best regards,
~Robin in SC

PS: Aside form Dragonforge I also quite like : Armorcast Resin Battlefield Scenery, Models & Terrain (who used to make titans!)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bigger bases = okay. Smaller bases = not okay.
Basically the base on the model needs to be at a minimum the size it came with. Scenic bases that get up to 28-30mm should be okay for a normal 25mm model. (Using a 40mm base for a gretchin wouldnt be cool though...)

With 5th edition rules, everything is based on TLOS. That means if your model is taller by a 1/4 of an inch you could be seen easier. A lot of the taller basing is for making centerpieces for armies so they look really good and stand out.

Since you are just starting out, maybe you should thinking about putting that extra money mostly into new models? You can always rebase your mini's with new bases at a later point. You can also make real good looking bases withi sand, static grass, and random bits chopped off of sprues for debris. (you could even go down to a shooting range and get some brass. just be sure to wash the shells out to get rid of the powder residue.) If you are creative with searching for bits, you can find a lot of interesting things to put on bases.

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Actually, the rule book on pg 3 pretty much says that if you don't use the base that comes with the model, than you need to ask your opponent permission.

In actual tournaments and games, nobody is going to fault you if your bases are close in size to the originals. Just don't go overboard. As for height of above the base, once again don't go overboard. Also, you can never get a cover save for stuff that is mounted on your own base.

You should be fine as long as you don't go crazy and put regular marines on a MC's base.

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
My hope is not to find a "Well just ask your opponent." Because I will need to invest a lot of hard earned cash to $1 base each fig in my army. And well... I do want to be legit, & legal. :)
Sorry, but as M_M said the official rule is that you need to get permission. If it's not a huge variance, I doubt anyone will have a problem with it.

Bigger bases = okay. Smaller bases = not okay.
This was the case in 4th edition, but has been changed.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Not really rules I guess, but Dragonforge has a 'GW style' version of everything they have 'Privateer style' bases for. While it may make your army look marginally better in a photo on its own to use the rounded edge style, I honestly think it just looks strange and awkward when mixed in with/on display beside/fighting against models on the 'normal' base. The height difference is a total non-issue.

(Pretty much any round lipped base you find should be 30MM. Warmachine is a game with extremely strict rules about that sort of thing that are very clear, not GW's wishy washy "ask and play nice with each other" approach!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Sorry, but as M_M said the official rule is that you need to get permission. If it's not a huge variance, I doubt anyone will have a problem with it."

No worries. I will happily ask permission with the folks I play with but wouldn't tournaments /sanctioned events have a uniform approach?

I would be scared to go to GenCon Indy for the big tournament just to ask the judges if the entire basing of my 200 figure army is "ok" for their event.

Are GW's official Game Days casual about this? Anyone here run sanctioned events? Nationals? Curious, now that I think on it.

Cheers,
~R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts