Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my rule books coming so I promise this is the last time I will bug any of you for advice I could probably get from the rules.
Even if I got the rules I would still probably need the advice of more learned people of the 40K universe.
My question: In line with the 40K universe, would it be possible to have a 'Christian' or gospel based chapter, maybe even a throw back to the crusaders or the martyrs of the dark ages?
It may be a litle out there but I would appreciate the feedback.

·
975 Posts
It is a good idea, I even thought about that for a long time however, the reason that the Word Bearers were marked as heretics was becuase of the worshiping practices. The emperor doesn't need space marine priests but super human soldiers. I think it is a cool idea but it would be considered a "chaos" army.

but fi you were to do one it is getting increasingly easier now that the whole gothic look is getting more popular with the space marines. However in my opinion the space marine artwork looks to clean. I remember the good old days when you had to read the picture caption to tell the difference between the chaos and loyal spacemarines.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I'm fairly sure that the word bearers were called heretics because the Emporer told them he needed warriors, not priests, and then the word bearers got pissed off and searched for someone who wanted their worship- the chaos gods. And because they decided to follow the lords of chaos, they were branded heretics. You can have an uber dedicated army as loyalists, but they should expect a few sighs and weird glances from most of the Imperium. Though if they don't follow the Imperial Creed (or something that can be though of as a subsect of the creed), they will be deemedd heretic, though you could still use the SM list...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Isn't that basically the new Black Templars? Yes you can do so and the traits are there actually to make as if the Emperor's faith is protecting you. Fluff-wise its actually okay as long as they don't look demonic. Having purity seals everywhere sounds like a good Chapter trademark. Just don't glue chaos bitz to your marines.

I agree with Deek......the ornamental stuff on Space marine armor is just as good as the Chaos ones. Looking at helmets is probably best bet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I mean is, according to 40k history, did Jesus Christ exist? Is 40K a fictional future of our world?
If so, could a marine army be devoted to the teachings of Christ and the bible?

·
975 Posts
Yes, maybe, but if he did he was conquered by the emperor and is now being worshiped so it seems that he must not have since as a christian I know that god would smite the emperor and bring about the apocalypse before letting every christian be destroyed and converted into a religion worshiping a forein idol.

Anyway you could do this but you would be under the watchful eye of the Inquistion and be looked down upon by other space marine chapters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Chapter is called the Midnight Crusaders. Their Chapter symbol is a cross with a Crescent moon. It has been suggested that I use the Black Templar rules, and go on a 1000 year crusade, but I haven't traveled that far into the fluff to decide that yet.

As a side note, many a SoB has been trod on by by brothers when they have tried to label us "Heretics" Long live the Emperor!

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Yes, maybe, but if he did he was conquered by the emperor and is now being worshiped so it seems that he must not have since as a christian I know that god would smite the emperor and bring about the apocalypse before letting every christian be destroyed and converted into a religion worshiping a forein idol.
Actually if your well versed in the emperor's backround its quite possible (in the 40k storyline) that the emperor Was Christ. Fluff wise the emperor has been around pretty much the entirety of human civilization and has taken thousands of guises down the centuries to push humantity in the right directions at the right times. Thus in the 40k storyline many of the greatest men in history were probably in fact the emperor under the guise of a king or scientist or warrior or messiah.

To that extent all marine chapters and indeed the entire imperium is devoted to christ and his teachings. I can understand how if you live as part of a very religious/fundamental community/family this could bring up complications should your community/family find out that you play the game. Your best bet in this situation is to try to help people understand that 40k is very much a fictional reality, and not meant to be a driving force in someone life.

Just saying again that this is all on the basis of the 40k storyline, and I am not in fact trying to make factual statements about our own timeline.

·
Registered
178 Posts
woa,

guys, Everything the codex and rule books teach you is that space marines are warrior-monks and priests, they worship the emperor, or sanguinis etc etc etc, they are all zealous and pious, they are religion made manifest, You also get chapters following their combat doctrine+codex's perfectly,you get others, like the mortifactors following a newer different, more herectical codexes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Milkman said:
I have my rule books coming so I promise this is the last time I will bug any of you for advice I could probably get from the rules.
Even if I got the rules I would still probably need the advice of more learned people of the 40K universe.
My question: In line with the 40K universe, would it be possible to have a 'Christian' or gospel based chapter, maybe even a throw back to the crusaders or the martyrs of the dark ages?
It may be a litle out there but I would appreciate the feedback.
It is a good idea, but you may have to be sneaky. I heard that a GD army in UK was disqualified for having 'overt religeous symbolism' or stuff to that effect. It isn't stopping me however. My army has a stylised cross/star as their symbol, and their battle cry is "Behold the Light!". A mate has his with a crusader style symbol, and was calling his troops Bretheren before Codex Black Templars came out.
Perhaps you could use traits, and just rename them (counts as...) to suit the fluff. 'Uphold the Honour of the Emperor' is easily modified, as is 'Purity above all'. Plenty of others would work nicely.

One thing to consider is that followers of Christ really shouldn't be cleansing and purifying with the bolter and the flamer. But hey, I know the difference between reality and a game, so go ahead. Have your chapter avoiding inspection by the Inquisition as they follow the one true Saviour of Mankind.

RoV

·
Registered
152 Posts
While this idea isn't going to bring as many people out of the woodwork as IG painted as Waffen SS, this IS going to bug people. To be fair so would a force based on the iconography of any of the so-called Mujahideen forces scattered throughout the Middle East. While I generally find the idea of Political Correctness to be the greatest obscenity in our society today, it is a fact of life and we're not allowed to offend anyone. I have personally seen people have problems with other players based on their Nazi schemed armies and have seen comments from people on various forums about the problems that they've had or seen take place regarding controversial themed armies. The fact is that Christianity does not exist in the 40K world and there is the distinct possiblilty that you'll take a measure of flak for this idea.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Milkman, there has been discussion on this before. I'd refer you to this thread, as we had a long discussion on it. The good ideas are mostly near the bottom.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't mix in politics or religion in 40k, you're just likely to be flamed sooner rather than later. You can of course base your chapter on a real-world theme (practically all of 40k is) but saying that your marines are cristians or whatever is just going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Fluffwise none of the major religions exist in 40k anyway; the only religion is the cult of the Emperor and anyone who doesn't worship him is branded as a heretic and will be killed in inventive and painful ways.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I guess that covers it. Just to let everybody know where I'm coming from, I am a Christian, though I am in no way trying to make 40K into a Christian game or make a Christian version of the game, nor am I worried about what other Christians think of my involvment in the game therefore trying to 'justify' my hobby by creating a Christian army. I live a Christian life and I don't really need to replicate in a game.

Having said that, is the 40K universe set in 'our' future?
My idea was to have a cult of people following the teachings of the last few pages of bible text that have somehow survived over the centuries. The army could follow what teachings they have recovered and as such, the few pages and/or chapters they posess would be extreamly valuable and hidden away for protections sake. This would be fun because, only having segments of the bible, the cult could possibly take a lot of the teachings out of context.

So, is 40K a grim forecast of our future? And if so, would my idea work?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hehe...fun discussion eh?

I guess one can interpret 40k to be a grim prediction of the future of humanity....38,000 years from now and then some...or however they date it. I have no clue even though I've been gaming since Rogue Trader days. I never really did just because well, mixing a game world and the complexities of the "realities" of a religion can become very muddy. I'm a Christian and early on I decided that games are games and I'll keep my forced fed theories of the end times out of the games I play.

For fluff sake, I can see how a marine chapter had adopted the last few pages of the Bible into their daily routine, rituals, and philosophy. Many solid fluff chapters worship people besides the Emperor...like the Space Wolves pray to Russ (or at least I do when I roll dice...annoying, yes, sacriligious...eh, it's a game dammit), the Tech Marines are part of the Cult of the Machine Spirit, etc. etc. Many Marine chapters diverged from the original teachings of Gulliman (sp?), of Codex Astares. Many chapters have also adopted the local customs, cultures, and lifestyles of their home planet. I see nothing wrong with a marine chapter following something they read out of remnants of the Bible. Many chapters have deeper darker secrets (e.g. Dark Angels...whom I believe have Russ somewhere hidden in statsis in their damned floating rock)....and what not.

The world of 40k is a very chaotic mess of beliefs, inquisitions, zealotry, and what nots...and the more chaos, the more wars and battles for the table top miniature game. I mean, why do two marine chapters fight SO often (training?)...or what about when marines team up with Nids against IG and Dark Eldar? What? It's a game...and sometimes, the mechanics in the game can't be explained. The LAST thing I'd complain about is some marines painted in a Christian theme passing out leaflets about Jesus Christ to the opposing player's Chaos Marines or Deamonettes (that'd be cute).

More so...have you SEEN some of the stuff out there? Everyone knows about the Hello Kitty Marines (Hello Kitty heads in place of Marine helmets)...what about the Smurf Goblins for Fantasy Battle? There's also the Hello Kitty Sisters with the most heretical looking Drednought (funny as hell). Locally, I've met the Cobra (from GI Joe) Marines...led by Destro, old Chrome Dome himself! Another player made the anti-cheese Nid army...err, Beach Volleyball Picnic Anti-Cheese Nids...these nids have volleyballs, beach gear, picnic baskets, and one is even flying a kite (all goes beautifully on a display case with volleyball net and beach and all)...I've also seen beach Necrons (not locally) wearing bikinis, thongs, and riding surf boards. I have yet to see a true to heart Smurf Ultramarines (a total mockery!). Also, some players are defying GW by fielding IG Squats...hehe...in their defiance, they spit at Peter Haines!!!

So Marines who follow the teaching of Jesus through the interpretation of John...not that bad nor offensive in my opinion (as long as you're not one of em' annoying Christians who preach fire and brimstone to everyone and condemn my Wolves to eternal damnation just because they don't say grace before feasting). There are themes which may be quite disturbing (like the Nazi stuff and thank God I have not encountered anything like that). I know one of my friends takes Slaneesh to the extreme by painting and scuplting some very lavacious stuff on his Chaos Marines and Deamonettes (which I don't mind and most little kids and players don't look at in detail to notice). That being said, I'll end my rant...

Do what you want without being annoying (as a 40k player and as a Christian), have fun, represent Christ well as a hospitable friendly gamer, and you have my vote any day!

Fox

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are all good responses. I think after hearing it all I have made a desicion. 40K is a game that is made fun because of it's fantastic and fictional settings. Bring in too much resemblance to real world things can blur the line between fiction and reality, lowering it's enjoyment. I think if I create a Christian based chapter, it will be based more on the fluff of 40K and any Christian elements will be limited, more obscure and not be a defining factor of who they are as a chapter and in general, not get in the road of the game.

I think it's best to make the game more ficticious and less tied into our reality.

Thanks still for all the feedback.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
What it comes down to is really how fantatical you want your marines to worship the emporer (which IS the only religion in the 40k universe).

Super religious fantatics- Black Templars
Religious fanatics- just about everyone else
Slightly religious warriors- Space Wolves

The members of the imperium view the emporer no as christ (for comparison) but god, he is the ultimate deity to humanity.

Make of this what you will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts