Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm starting an eldar army but I have a question. Do the figures have to be painted like they are in the website? So are striking scorpions supposed to be green? Are DA's supposed to be blue? I want to paint them like this
CoolMiniOrNot - Eldar army by chrono

but I don't know if i'm "breaking the rules". I hope I can do that astro scheme though it is awesome.

·
Registered
394 Posts
you can paint them any way you like mate. :)

the colours in the codex for aspect warriors and such are just for those players who like the fluff and want to have as authentic an army as possible. but at the end of the day you can do anything you like. paint it whatever way makes you feel best about putting it on the table.

edit:

for example.. http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/Wolfleader6/necrons.jpg :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Haha an interesting example there Eris :p

As said though you can paint them any way you like, because in a universe of unlimited possibilities you can make your own fluff up about your army.
I mean lets be serious on a forest world you can see Scorpions being green, but Banshees in white and fire dragons in red/orange. Would be bullet magnets!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've always enjoyed doing my own paint scheme. Im repainting my Eldar army as Biel-Tan, but am doing a reverse. Green armor with white helmets. As I just don't want to paint all white.
Also, if you do your own scheme, then when/if they do a new craftworld codex you can easily sya they are like any craftworld you want.
-John

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
If you want to be very fluffy, paint them in the overall schemes in the codex. If you honestly don't care and have a scheme that you prefer, go with that.

You will probably get flak either way. Them's the breaks of playing Eldar. If you go with the Codex patterns, you get "Gaydar" and "Deathclown" jokes. If you paint them in a unified scheme, you will get flak from the knee-jerks (in this case probably other Eldar players) who will point out that this isn't what GW wanted you to do. *Ahem* Because GW is totally overbearing about their army patterns and doesn't want you to convert them or paint them originally. Right... *Cough*Golden Daemon*Cough*

Bottom line; you are encouraged to paint them a certain way, but you bought them, you can paint them. Do whatever you want.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha thank you for the advice all, especially kriswithak for making me laugh and rafis117 for the heads up. Seeing as though I don't have the figures yet, i'm still deciding what to paint them like. I personally don't really like many of the color schemes in the codex. I think the only interesting ones are Ulthwe and Alaitoc (minus the yellow). So if anybody has any suggestions they would be appreciated on some cool schemes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I like the color purple, but dark purple. I like deep blues and turqoise, light greys, greens (but I have that on my salamanders and im going to use on the scorps.). I also want to keep the aspect warrior schemes so this would be for my guardians and anything that is non aspecty.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well I like the color purple, but dark purple. I like deep blues and turqoise, light greys, greens (but I have that on my salamanders and im going to use on the scorps.). I also want to keep the aspect warrior schemes so this would be for my guardians and anything that is non aspecty.
Deep purple such as Liche Purple goes extremely well with Dark Angel Green, Hawk Turquoise and Scaly Green, particularly if its on smaller areas to bring out the green. Although obviously it depends on your personal colour likes/dislikes and how you want your army to look.
Deep blues can also work wonders with light greys.
Also keep in mind that purples like Liche, work amazingly well with the bleached bone/wraithbone effect.

In the end its normally best to just do a few trials on figures that are expendable or that you can clean and repaint, and you'll know the minute you find the right colour scheme! Also not everyone will like your paint scheme, even if its GD quality, but its pretty rare for people to be really critical in my experience.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your help! I it's not that I don't like the color schemes from the codex, it's just that I find something odd about all of them. For example Alaitoc has that weird camo appearence. I think I am going to do dark purple for the armor or white, and maybe a light blue for the details.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help! I it's not that I don't like the color schemes from the codex, it's just that I find something odd about all of them. For example Alaitoc has that weird camo appearence. I think I am going to do dark purple for the armor or white, and maybe a light blue for the details.
Altaioc is supposed to look camo-ed, the vast majority of its military are Rangers/Pathfinders. Most or all of the color schemes are holdovers from the old system, where each craftworld has its own codex (and methodology);

Saim Hann - Red 'uns go fasta (Boo!)
Ulthwe - Emo psykers. (Just as planned.)
Altaioc - Scouts/rangers. *Blam*
Biel Tan - Guardians. Lots of Guardians. (Coneheads)
Il-Kaithe - Bonesingers (green and purple...? Oookay...)
Iyanden - Wraiths. Lots of big robots. (may be the second-most responsible party for the reputation of Eldar as "Death Clowns", I mean, come on, blue and yellow?)
Harlies - Death Clowns!!! (Not per se an army with its own codex though...)

Et al.

·
1,059 Posts
Altaioc is supposed to look camo-ed, the vast majority of its military are Rangers/Pathfinders. Most or all of the color schemes are holdovers from the old system, where each craftworld has its own codex (and methodology);

Saim Hann - Red 'uns go fasta (Boo!)
Ulthwe - Emo psykers. (Just as planned.)
Altaioc - Scouts/rangers. *Blam*
Biel Tan - Guardians. Lots of Guardians. (Coneheads)
Il-Kaithe - Bonesingers (green and purple...? Oookay...)
Iyanden - Wraiths. Lots of big robots. (may be the second-most responsible party for the reputation of Eldar as "Death Clowns", I mean, come on, blue and yellow?)
Harlies - Death Clowns!!! (Not per se an army with its own codex though...)

Et al.
A couple of points. Biel Tan is known for its aspect warriors not guardians, the main fighting style is the swordwind or bazakhain ( the spelling might be off on that ) aspects getting up close and personal with the enemy, often by riding in a waveserpent. They also have the court of the young king which was represented on the table by the avatar and a retinue of exarchs from different aspects. Guardians in any large number are most often seen in Ulthwe forces. Altaioc ( that spelling doesnt seem right ) is one of the most demanding craftworlds when it come to following the paths which leads to them having alot of outcasts ( rangers/pathfinders ) but also to them having a very large force of aspect warriors something most people don't think about with them. If I recall correctly they also have a stronger tie to the Harlequins than most other craftworlds. Speaking of Harlies they did have a codex of their own at one time with a whole lot of different harlies in it. With a bit of luck maybe some of them will sneak back into the eldars next codex.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
A couple of points. Biel Tan is known for its aspect warriors not guardians, the main fighting style is the swordwind or bazakhain ( the spelling might be off on that ) aspects getting up close and personal with the enemy, often by riding in a waveserpent. They also have the court of the young king which was represented on the table by the avatar and a retinue of exarchs from different aspects. Guardians in any large number are most often seen in Ulthwe forces. Altaioc ( that spelling doesnt seem right ) is one of the most demanding craftworlds when it come to following the paths which leads to them having alot of outcasts ( rangers/pathfinders ) but also to them having a very large force of aspect warriors something most people don't think about with them. If I recall correctly they also have a stronger tie to the Harlequins than most other craftworlds. Speaking of Harlies they did have a codex of their own at one time with a whole lot of different harlies in it. With a bit of luck maybe some of them will sneak back into the eldars next codex.
Good catch on the Biel Tan thing. My b.

Your point on Altaioc is the cause to my point which is the effect.

Harlies had a codex? I missed it? :crying:

·
1,059 Posts
Yeah a whole codex of death clowns it was rather impressive. I'm hopeful the solitaire will come back as a useable HQ some day ( maybe making harlies scoring or troops? ). They also had harlie dreadnaughts with D cannons ( wraithlord were called dreadnaughts in some of the earlier codex) harlie bikes, and even a special harlie open topped transport. I recall them also being able to steal any transport in the game so you could have harlies in a landraider or other craziness.

It made alot of sense for them to be a independent codex. They are very different from craftworld, dark, corsair, or exodite eldar. They are much like grey knights showing up to fight chaos and not at the beck and call of any other force.

You can see some fan made codex for harlies around the net and I'm sure the original codex for them is out there also.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread back to talk about craftworld colors.

I'm very happy Ulthwe has changed from the original black and yellow that they started with to the black and bone they now use. Not sure if I would love them as much if they reminded me of bees.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.