Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im painting my figures in white scars theme and Im having trouble gettinga really nice pure white finish on them - I live in UK so any suggestions of decent paint to buy would be great thanks.

Im surrently using the citadel skull white spray but I find this to be very powdery and even tthen the white is not a nice bright white it seems a little dull.

I also have the skull white paint but I find this doesnt really improve it all that much.

I was wondering is there a spray people know works really well that gives a really nice bright pure white finish? I find the black spray works so much better but obvously tahts no good for me

failing that in the shop they say there is a white foundation in the paints box set but its £30 and I wanted to knwo of there is another cheaper option first.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I know you can buy the foundation paints individually, i've got a couple. Dont let the GW staffers convince you to buy the whole set unless you really want to.

The only white i've painted is on terminators helmets. I use skull white thinned down with water, and several thin coats rather than one thick job. Eventually comes out ok.

The dedicated painting section might get you more informed replies, or you could search it for similar queries. Good luck with the White Scars Raihani.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah you can buy all individually except white :(

having used both would you say the foundation white is a more brilliant/pure white than the skull white?

didnt realise was a painting section :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't tryed this myself but what you could do is spray the models white (assuming you can get a decent coverage with the GW white spray) wash the entire thing with stright badab black wash, then heavily dry-brush the entire model with a 50:50 mix of skull white and astronomicon grey (or whatever the lightest foundation grey is) then proceed to highlight this with pure skull white, then go round and block in all the detail with chaos balck and paint this as your scheme demands.

like i said i have not done this before so if you are going to try it i would make sure its on a spare model but let me know if it works, could be a good technique.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You have to start by putting a basecoat of a darker color, then use thin layers of progressively lighter colors
Start with a rotting flesh, then bone white, then a few very thin layers of skull white.

·
419 Posts
Couple suggestions for you mate.

Try priming your models with Black first (I know sounds crazy) and then if you are going to be using GW paints, pick up Deneb Stone or Astronomical Grey (both are an off-white Foundation Paint, with the grey being more grey, and the stone being more tan). Anyways, once you have those paints, paint the whole models armour in one of those colours. These paints are high opacity and should cover the black primer in 1 coat, assuming you use a decent ration of paint to water (should be a 1-1 or 1-2). Next I would suggest covering that colour with Delvin Mud (Citidel Wash) and if will dry in the cracks of the models armour and give you some detail as opposed to just while. After you will need to make probably a good 3 coats of nicely watered down Skull White to get a good coverage, but you only want to paint the flat surfaces white and try to leave the brown wash in the cracks. Now alternatively, you can wash it with Asurmen Blue, which will give you blue recesses, thats up to you.

For a a lot more complicated guide, pick up the November issue of White Dwarf. I know, theres not much in there for ways of articles, but it has an amazing article on how they painted Korsa'so Khan, so you could follow that route if you wanted too, skipping some of the steps.

Hope that helps.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
To those of you discussing the so called white foundation - there isn't one!
The white paint that they include in the Hobby Starter Set isn't part of the foundation paint range even though it's packaged in the same white-topped pots that the foundations are in. I assume that GW did it just so that all of the paints in the Hobby Starter set are in the same pots. Three of them aren't foundations, and don't say foundation on the pot. They are the 'White', 'Undercoat Black', and 'Gunmetal'.

I don't think that they are just the standard paints repackaged either, since I've heard a lot of people complaining about the white and black from the starter set in particular. From what I've heard, they have a more glossy finish than the standard paints. You're better off without them!

·
Registered
48 Posts
For White, I start with Blue foundation (for clean white) or a brown foundation (for dirty white).
Then start layering white on top from the edges in, giving you both a shading effect and dirty/clean look to add to your fluff.
experiment and practice though, you it can be tricky, depending on your skill.

·
4,967 Posts
Spray the figures white and then spray them again once dry. 2 coats of white spray should get you a decent finnish.

Shade by lining all the joints with codex or fortress grey with some acrylic drying retarder and a little water added. Or buy some windor and newton grey ink and give that a try.

A freind of mine swears by using gloss car body spray paint then use blue-grey oil paint with turps added to pin wash the joints. Then spray mat varnish the figures and paint all other colours normally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts