Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
running
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a store the other day to buy some paint and I thought I'd give the Vallejo Game Color a try. The colors in the bottles all looked lighter than what the little card said they should be, but I figured they just needed to be shaken up.

I started to use them tonight and the shaking doesn't seem to be working. The paint comes out of the bottle a lot lighter than advertised, and very, very thin. Is this a common thing, or did I get some bad paint?

·
539 Posts
I got a Vallejo Game Color paint set last Christmas that I am still picking through.

I can tell you from experience that some of the colors are problematic. The brighter yellows always seem to come out a little too thin no matter how hard I shake em.

That said, most of the other colors don't give me this trouble if you shake them like you mean it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Vallejo paints (all the ones I own) are thin compared to GW equivalents. I'm not sure I would say they were lighter than expected though.
Personally I don't find the consistency to be a flaw, if I'm painting models quickly I tend to go with GW foundation and normal paints with layering, where Vallejo paints are great is when I want to blend or transition colours, which is where the consistency really helps.

The only reason I can think that the Vallejo paints look lighter is if your painting over white? In which case the general advice of lots of thin layers is all I can suggest.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Yellow paints tend to be a lot thinner, something to do with the pigmentation apparently. I have found that vallejo paints tend to be thinner in general than GW ones, although as a consequence they tend to go on better and smoother. I think it all boils down to getting used to using them as opposed to GW ones- ive only used a few vallejo colours but i have to say im overall very pleased- the gun metal is a lot darker than boltgun metal for example, and ive found it a better base colour for metals.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I would second Theo's 'getting used to' post.

Basically, as everyone else has said, they are thinner than the GW equivilent. This is a good thing.
It will force you to become technically better at painting, as you will have to build colour up in multiple thin layers, giving much richer colour, and generally protecting the model's detail. I would still reccomend watering them down slightly on a pallette, however.

It really is a learning experience. Just take your time with them, and you should end up getting to a point where you are happy with how they work.

As for the lightness, it is entirely possible that the pigment still hasn't mixed properly when you squeeze it out of the pot. I occasionally find that if I leave a little Vallejo paint on my pallette for an hour or so it will seem milky and pale when I come back to it, as the pigment sinks away from the surface.
Simply mixing the paint into itself (ie: swooshing a brush around in it) will help, if it's the problem I had.
Alternatively, I have a few paints that do look somewhat lighter when wet, but seem fine when dry.

-t.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts