Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
This may seem like a stupid question, but I do not have the new Chaos Codex, so bear with me =D
Is it worth buying plague marine model's anymore? From what i've read they don't have true grit anymore, as all CSM's have a Bolter and Bolt Pistol, along with a CCW.
Could one not just buy normal CSM models and convert them to nurgle, getting 3 extra marines in the process? Or is there different weapons which are necessary for Plague Marine's
Thanks in advance

·
227 Posts
It comes down to aesthetics, really. There's nothing on any model that physically shows "true grit," the only thing you'd need to do is make your CSMs look suitably Nurglesque. So as long as they're kind of putrid and nasty you should be just fine.

I myself am not great with green stuff, so I think I'd be inclined to go ahead and buy the Plague Marine models for their grossness factor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes down to aesthetics, really. There's nothing on any model that physically shows "true grit," the only thing you'd need to do is make your CSMs look suitably Nurglesque. So as long as they're kind of putrid and nasty you should be just fine.

I myself am not great with green stuff, so I think I'd be inclined to go ahead and buy the Plague Marine models for their grossness factor.
True, but do the Plague's come with different guns in the set than basic CSM's, such as plasma, etc.?

And i can see what your saying with the grossness factor, they look lovely.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wouldnt think getting regular marines and converting them would be a problem, even without excessive use of green stuff. They dont have to be bloated and disgusting to be a nurgle army, thats just one possible route to go. Newer nurgle marine chapters may not be very mutated, maybe only the lord , being a much older and experienced troop would be(or maybe not even him). As far as the weapons death guard marines(nurgle troops) can have the following weapons:

regular squaddies: plasma gun
melta gun
flamer

champ: power weapon
power fist
plasma pistol

regular chaos space marines can actually have a lot more weapons beside these, so i dont think you should be worried about losing out on weapons by buying regular marines and converting.

The only thing you might lose out on would be the transfer icons and markings, and possibly some plastic marks of nurgle or nurgle shoulderpads. These can be done with decent painting skills or green stuff or a lot of other modeling options, and i believe you can buy shoulderpads seperately.

Summary: i dont think you would miss out on anything, and i think you could definitely save money by buying a regular squad boxed set of chaos space marines.

I find it strange that they give you less models for buying a nurgle squad than a thousand sons squad for instance, even if you will only use 7 per squad(for fluff reasons, 7 is the nurgle number), if i have 2 extra troops per box, i can eventually make an extra squad using the extra models from every box. I know they dont cost anymore to make nurgle plastic models than thousand son plastic models. Thats how they make their money though, so cant blame em.

thats my opinion, hope it helped =)

·
Registered
306 Posts
i don' know what weapons the plaque marines come with but the regular csm come with plasma gun, melta, flamer, heavy bolter, power fist, power weapon and a plasma pistol. so pretty much every special weapon available is included.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
:::warning. Picture Heavy:::

QuestionableContent, I'm providing a number of Plague Marine conversions and paint jobs that might help you along the way in creating your beautifully hideous Nurgle Army.

Craftman, just to clarify, 4th edition Plague Marines no longer have 'true grit.' The bolter/bolt pistol/c.c. weapon combination is now commonly referred to as 'ultra grit.' I'm sure you're aware of this, but I just wanted to be sure ;)

On to the meat:

(the following is my own Plague Marine conversion)

:::ASIDE FROM THE ONE MODEL, NONE OF THESE MINIATURES WERE PAINTED OR CONVERTED BY ME:::

·
227 Posts
Yeah, I know they don't have True Grit anymore. What I meant was that there was never anything on the models to indicate such an ability, so whether you use the metal Plague Marines or just convert/paint the plastic CSMs you'll be able to field a Nurgle army.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
If you convert regular CSM, you need to make sure to be very clear ahead of time with your opponent to let him know that they are actual plague marines and not a CSM squad with an icon of nurgle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys!
After reading all this, i grabbed me some Normal CSM's, which hopefully my friend can help me out with when it comes to converting.
Can't wait to play em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts