Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some questions on how to use the new Tau formations in the Apocalypse - Reload book. I asked these in the FAQ thread but haven't gotten any response. Tonight being the night I deploy these forces, I'm hoping for a quick, accurate response. Thanks!

Question: The new Apocolypse reload book has a formation "Nighthunter Stealth Group". I'd like to know if I can string the stealth teams around to be closer than 18" or futher than 12".

For example: Nominate a point on the table that is 18" away from the nearest enemy, and place one model, a gun drone. Then, subsequently place drones from the stealth team until you've gotten the stealth team within 12" or closer range.

Also, the rule states that the rest of the stealth group is placed within 12" of the command team. Does this mean I can place one model within 12" of the command team and then string the rest of the models further away as described above?

Question: Can Apocalypse formations share units? For example, can I nominate a stealth team in my Nighthunter Stealth Group to also be the command stealth team in a Rapid Insertion Force? I didn't see specific text in the Apocalypse book stating you can't.

Question: The Apocalypse formation "Farstrike Battlesuit Force" has a unit of Broadsides that can be deepstriked in. If they have Advanced Stabilization Systems can they fire upon arrival? A slow and steady deepstrike. :)

Question: The rule for the above formation says the units must arrive within 18" of the nominated objective. How does scatter affect this rule? Is it possible to scatter out of the 18" range?

Question: On a deepstrike mishap where the opponent gets to relocate your units, considering the above formation, is the team still required to be placed within 18" of the nominated objective?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Question: The new Apocolypse reload book has a formation "Nighthunter Stealth Group". I'd like to know if I can string the stealth teams around to be closer than 18" or futher than 12".

For example: Nominate a point on the table that is 18" away from the nearest enemy, and place one model, a gun drone. Then, subsequently place drones from the stealth team until you've gotten the stealth team within 12" or closer range.

Also, the rule states that the rest of the stealth group is placed within 12" of the command team. Does this mean I can place one model within 12" of the command team and then string the rest of the models further away as described above?
Absolutely not. The Rulebook even specifically states now that one model being in range means that the entire unit is in range. So that means that NO MODEL may be within the proscribed range.

Question: Can Apocalypse formations share units? For example, can I nominate a stealth team in my Nighthunter Stealth Group to also be the command stealth team in a Rapid Insertion Force? I didn't see specific text in the Apocalypse book stating you can't.
No. Read the rules for Formations in the Apocalypse book. All units in a formation are considered one choice/slot/selection for reserve/deployment purposes. Thats pretty explicit. One unit can not belong to two different choices.

Question: The Apocalypse formation "Farstrike Battlesuit Force" has a unit of Broadsides that can be deepstriked in. If they have Advanced Stabilization Systems can they fire upon arrival? A slow and steady deepstrike.
Yes. As Slow and Purposeful grants Relentless, and DSing units may shoot as normal.

Question: The rule for the above formation says the units must arrive within 18" of the nominated objective. How does scatter affect this rule? Is it possible to scatter out of the 18" range?
As I understand it, this means that the initial placement must be within 18", and may scatter out.

Question: On a deepstrike mishap where the opponent gets to relocate your units, considering the above formation, is the team still required to be placed within 18" of the nominated objective?
I would say no, as its the initial placement that is restricted. The Deepstrike Mishap is an overriding circumstance that happens after the placement, so should happen normally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Absolutely not. The Rulebook even specifically states now that one model being in range means that the entire unit is in range. So that means that NO MODEL may be within the proscribed range.
So wouldn't the 2-4 other stealth teams be considered within the 12" range by having one model in that distance?

Also, for the first team that's placed the formation says "you nominate a point on the table that's 18" away." It doesn't state that the unit must be 18" away. The point you chose must be. Then you place one model from the team at that point. That's why I'm unclear about whether the rest of the unit must stay outside that distance or not.

Just to be clear there are two rules with this formation:
Rule 1: Nominate a position on the table that's 18" away from the enemy. Place one model at this point from the command team.
Rule 2: All other units must arrive within 12" of the first team.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
OOOPS. Ignore my previous statement with regards to the "Stealth Deployment". My answer was given thinking that Infiltration was being used.

So yes, only the first model needs to be at that magic "beyond 18in" point. Any other models placed may obviously be closer to the enemy. The other units would only need one model within 12" of the command team for the unit to be considered as such.

Note that while "stringing" a unit to get them closer to the enemy would not be expressly illegal, your friends might not think too highly of you...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The "Stealth Deployment" special rule for the formation says that the whole stealth group must deploy within 12" of the command team so I would say that every model that is part of the stealth group ("The rest of the Stealth Group..." as the book says) would have to be within that 12" limit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note that while "stringing" a unit to get them closer to the enemy would not be expressly illegal, your friends might not think too highly of you...
My friends or anyone else for that matter. Good point. I'll stop trying to be such a cheeseball.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts