Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I have a series of logical questions I'm hoping you people can assist me with. Doing things backwards like I typically do, I play an Armoured Company but not IG. However I do have masses and masses of sprues left over, and many nearly complete Imperial Vehicle Accesory sprues. I've been hanging onto them until I decided what to do with them.

I've been thinking about making a small "true" Guard force to go with my Armoured Company. I still have 10 Hull Lascannons lying around and 10 Hull Heavy Stubbers on sprue. I was going to convert them to Heavy Weapons platforms - Lascannon and autocannon teams (and save myself a bit of money..).

So basically I was asking:

1. Has anyone converted their own Heavy Weapon teams in this/a similar way? I was thinking about constructing some sort of cradle somehow for my Lascannons using Plasti-card, similiar to the old Catachan Lascannon.

2. What size bases do Heavy Weapons teams use? I realise I would need to order some big bases for my weapon teams, but I don't know the size I should be ordering.

3. This is a question only for people who have read the 'Gaunts Ghosts' series. My Armoured Company is the Narmenian Armour under Grizmund from Necropolis. I want to paint my infantry another regiment from Gaunt's Ghosts, but I can't figure out what would work well with the Cadian Models (the only ones I like). The only ones who seem to wear sufficient armour are the Volpone Bluebloods, and I'm damned if I'm painting my guard purple (urgh)

·
Registered
518 Posts
cant help you on lascannons
the h stubbers seem too small to be used as ACs so i use em as h bolters
(the flamer can be chopped off from cadian sprue)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think the heavy stubber may be a little small as is to pass for an autocannon. Might pass for a heavy bolter if you shorten the barrel a little and add a bit to its body. With regards to the lascannons.. I'd be interested to see how they turn out, although I think that you would need a significant amount of greenstuff work on the base/body of the piece seeing as hull lascannons are basically a barrel sticking out of a cylinder... nothing at all like the regular lascannon hvy weapon (other than the barrel).
With regards to basing... thats really personal preference. Hvy weapon teams come on a big base due to ease of modelling, and not really because they are a 'big base' unit. You can put each gunner on a seperate normal size base if you are so inclined. Gaming wise this is actually preferable esp when dealing with issues such as templates covering bases, close order drill, moving through gaps 'smaller than the base' and arguments with potential opponents.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Addoran said:
3. This is a question only for people who have read the 'Gaunts Ghosts' series. My Armoured Company is the Narmenian Armour under Grizmund from Necropolis. I want to paint my infantry another regiment from Gaunt's Ghosts, but I can't figure out what would work well with the Cadian Models (the only ones I like). The only ones who seem to wear sufficient armour are the Volpone Bluebloods, and I'm damned if I'm painting my guard purple (urgh)
You could use any of the Roane Deepers Regiments. Vitrian Dragoons would be alright to.:yes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The simple approach would be to use the large round bases (40mm I believe) and either purchase or construct with green stuff some sand bags. Prop the weapons up on sandbags in order to give them a gritty "used" look. In fact, many of my heavy weapons do not make use of the tripods at all because it just looked too clean and neat to me.

In order to make it look as if a Guardsman is operating one of these heavy weapons, you could simply use the bit from the vehicle sprue which is a set of arms connected to what looks like handlebars. This is the piece that typically is attached to a Storm Bolter or Heavy Stubber, but it can be attached to any weapon really.

Also, you could do like I did and cut the Grenade Launcher barrel off and glue the rest to a different Heavy Weapon. Use the left arm and make it look as if the weapon has a charging handle.

The best thing to do when you face a delimma like this is to rummage through your bitz box and let the availabliity of pieces at your disposal stir your creativeness.

Worlds Collide

·
646 Posts
Hi Addoran, the standard HW bases are 60mm and are available from the online store for just 60p each. I buy 3-6 every time I make an order.

You may have problems with your heavy weapons, H.Stubbers are a bit too small to represent Autocannons and your Lascannons will require massive conversion to actualy mount properly, as the whole back end will be open and you will need to find a way for the crew to hold it.

However, if you are willing to do some converting, I would suggest you buy a HW set, as it provides you with 3 Lascannons, 3 AC, 3 ML and 3 HB. With a bit of effort you could make 4 sets of HW instead of just one. But I warn you now: they only come with 1 crew set and tripod set, so there will be converting involved.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok good, I have some answers.

Looks like I'm going to:

1. Try the idea with some sandbags. I'll cut off the cyclinder at the end, and just use the Lascannon barrel. I'll see if I can construct a Lascannon pit. It won't look as uniform as the proper heavy weapon teams, but it'll be different (and cheaper!). I'll try the same about making some sangars and gun shields for my heavy stubbers, and then decide whether I should cut the barrels off. Guncrew I will worry about later.

I also had another idea was going to try. A good cheap way of making tank traps is to fill ice cube trays with wood filler. I was thinking about doing this, and then chopping the top half off a pair and putting them together. Might work as a gun shield to rest the barrel between. If it works I'll post pics.

2. 60mm? Cheers.

3. Still thinking about this one. I might green stuff a cloak on a model, and see how that looks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts