Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new player and i'm unfamiliar with units becoming outdated. From what i've gleaned from the forums, once they've updated to a different looking suit/unit/vehicle you can't use the old one in tournaments. First of all, is this true? And secondly, I want to start a tau army and the crisis suits (not stealths) look the same (source: looking at the new box set art they're selling on the games workshop site), but almost everyone in the tau forums says not to buy them. Am I just getting bad information because no one has looked at the new box, or am I missing something?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
mephistophales said:
I'm a new player and i'm unfamiliar with units becoming outdated. From what i've gleaned from the forums, once they've updated to a different looking suit/unit/vehicle you can't use the old one in tournaments. First of all, is this true? And secondly, I want to start a tau army and the crisis suits (not stealths) look the same (source: looking at the new box set art they're selling on the games workshop site), but almost everyone in the tau forums says not to buy them. Am I just getting bad information because no one has looked at the new box, or am I missing something?
1) As far as not allowing old models, I don't see why someone would do that. Say you bought 18 (old) Stealth Suits, and the new Tau codex comes out. They aren't going to force you to buy, say, 18 more new ones. For example, people allow other people with old models (such as IG and such) use them in their up-to-date armies.. as far as I'm aware, as long as WYSIWYG is satisfied and you use the newest version of the rules, they should be good to go.

2) Apparently, the Crisis Suits will be getting some new weapons - however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and buy them. As far as anyone knows, Crisis Suits might not be getting a revamp - they haven't been confirmed by the GW website, and that's all I go by. Only the Commander is getting a revamp, and I highly doubt they would take out any of the Tau weapons, therefore making pre-owned models nulled and useless.. which would lose them business.

That's my take on it. Hope this helps!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
410 Posts
mephistophales said:
The way I understand the "official" rules (correct me if I'm wrong) is that ANY GW model will NEVER be obsolete, except if the codex or individual model gets retired (Space Dwarves for instance).

Meaning you could legally field a first edition SM/Tyranid/etc.

Of course, this presents some complications. In tourneys they often insist on WYSIWYG so putting new gear on old models could present a challenge.

Plus I am a bit confused about how they allow different bases. Meaning, the old Hive Tyrant/Carnifex bases were smaller than the current ones (I think). Does that make them "illegal" then to leave them on their old bases? Can someone please clarify this?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
as mentioned, old models are fine. The reason you may want to hold off (everyone warning) is that the new ones will come with all the new add-ons and wargear.

That said, there is absolutely nothing in the rules about
1-wysiwyg
2-using new models instead of old
3-models being out of date.

so you're fine to buy and do as you wish, but as mentioned, if you're builing an army, you may want to hold off to get the new add-ons. That way you don't have to buy them later and glue them on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Laplace said:
Plus I am a bit confused about how they allow different bases. Meaning, the old Hive Tyrant/Carnifex bases were smaller than the current ones (I think). Does that make them "illegal" then to leave them on their old bases? Can someone please clarify this?
The official rule on this is you must use either the base it was supplied with, or larger. So it is quite legal to use, for instance, older SM terminators on the smaller bases, but you cannot use the new ones with them. They must use the ones they came with or larger.

If thats not redundant enough, i can try harder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts